Anyone Run 2x Nero 5's on pulse setting?

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just bought my second Nero 5 pump, curious what others are running for their pulse settings on 2 pumps. Thank you in advance!

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two, and I have them ramp up to a higher percentage when the lights are on. The theory being that more flow during photosynthesis is beneficial.

One of the pumps pulses for about 3-4 hours (the other on random), then about a one hour period of both on random, then the other pulses for 3-4 hours with the first one on random. I then have them both spin down at night to about 10-15% steady overnight.

For about a year I just left both on random and that was just fine as far as turbulence. I only went to the pulse function because I have anemones and the motion with the pulse is really cool to watch.

If you do go pulse, I’d like to make a suggestion... adjust the settings such that the pump never spins down to “off” between pulses. I played with the sliders until I got it to the point where just before the fan would stop, the next pulse would begin. Reason being that I’ve read about people losing fish to these pumps, and while I have no evidence to support this, my theory is to avoid those moments with complete lack of intake flow. The surge following those “off” moments seems dangerous to me. I made this change around 6 months ago and my fish still go no where near these pumps.

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two, and I have them ramp up to a higher percentage when the lights are on. The theory being that more flow during photosynthesis is beneficial.

One of the pumps pulses for about 3-4 hours (the other on random), then about a one hour period of both on random, then the other pulses for 3-4 hours with the first one on random. I then have them both spin down at night to about 10-15% steady overnight.

For about a year I just left both on random and that was just fine as far as turbulence. I only went to the pulse function because I have anemones and the motion with the pulse is really cool to watch.

If you do go pulse, I’d like to make a suggestion... adjust the settings such that the pump never spins down to “off” between pulses. I played with the sliders until I got it to the point where just before the fan would stop, the next pulse would begin. Reason being that I’ve read about people losing fish to these pumps, and while I have no evidence to support this, my theory is to avoid those moments with complete lack of intake flow. The surge following those “off” moments seems dangerous to me. I made this change around 6 months ago and my fish still go no where near these pumps.

Thank you very much for your reply. I like how you mention switching which head gets the pulse/random. As for losing fish, I've lost 3 due to Neros poor design, lesson learned. I'm going to play with a lot of things this weekend to see which like best.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my pair on pulse with the the child pump on a 90 degree phase. This causes it to "chase" the parent pump. So delays it's pulse until after the parent. Mine are pulsing at one second intervals at 45% max power.

I have a couple of those 3-D printed guards for my pumps to keep fish from getting into them, although I have not had issues to date with fish getting close to the pumps.

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running my pair on pulse with the the child pump on a 90 degree phase. This causes it to "chase" the parent pump. So delays it's pulse until after the parent. Mine are pulsing at one second intervals at 45% max power.

I have a couple of those 3-D printed guards for my pumps to keep fish from getting into them, although I have not had issues to date with fish getting close to the pumps.

What do you mean 90 degree phase that causes a chase?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean 90 degree phase that causes a chase?
Check these out. Though I don't believe the phase setting works on the random setting.

Steph37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 on my reefer 450. I'm still playing around with all the settings too. I do however slow everything down overnight and pick up flow during the day. I have them set to gradually increase in the morning and slowly decrease in the evening.

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 on my reefer 450. I'm still playing around with all the settings too. I do however slow everything down overnight and pick up flow during the day. I have them set to gradually increase in the morning and slowly decrease in the evening.

Yea I ramp up during the day on random then do constant speed over night.

Back