Anyone successfully glued mushrooms?

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the general wisdom is that they slime too much to glue them. However, I've heard that it can be done successfully. I'm seeking advice from people who've been able to glue some shrooms down.

I've heard drying them with a paper towel and working fast can make it happen.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the general wisdom is that they slime too much to glue them. However, I've heard that it can be done successfully. I'm seeking advice from people who've been able to glue some shrooms down.

I’ve never had success gluing them. I’ve kept them on tiny tiny rubble in low glow until they attach them gluing that piece to a rock. Eventually it will move to the plug

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id bury it in a rubble filled strawberry basket at the bottom of the tank before wasting time gluing :)

Saved many floaters this way.

Cheers!
Totally forgot about burying them. Recently got my Jawbreakers to re attach using this method. Stole it from you i believe lol.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 to what’s said above.
Never had any luck gluing. Tried several times.
I’ve had success placing a shroom in a very very low flow area of the rock work. They’ll attach eventually. Takes a while. Thing is, it takes very little current to blow around a shroom. Especially the discosoma variety. They really like to take flight and go rock surfing. Basket/cup rubble trick is a solid technique to use. But that being said, if doesn’t like the new location once attached and relocated. It will probably detach again. Very annoying. Especially if you’ve just dropped several hundred dollars on that prized jawbreaker. I’ve never had issues with ricordea or rhodactis detaching. Just the disco varieties. Strange, but likely flow related. Discos don’t like flow. At least not IME. Good luck!!!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh what i do is cut the bottom off a water bottle, then add a layer of frag plugs or rubble and cover the thing with the brs mesh. It attaches very quickly
I have done this as well. Usually always works. I always cover with mesh especially for the little discos. They frag the easiest but some of the frags are so tiny.
I've had especially stubborn Jawbreakers lately. Totally refused to re attach no matter what I did. Finally resorted to burying the foot on most. I totally buried a baby JB. All have re attached now.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little screw cap thingy, a frag plug/rubble goes in the bottom, then I sit the shroom on top, and screw on the top (basically hard plastic mesh) I open it a week later and voila! I attach every non glueable frag this way (I use it a lot for xenia, clove, shrooms, basically softies)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a little screw cap thingy, a frag plug/rubble goes in the bottom, then I sit the shroom on top, and screw on the top (basically hard plastic mesh) I open it a week later and voila! I attach every non glueable frag this way (I use it a lot for xenia, clove, shrooms, basically softies)
Let's see your screw cap thingy lol
I've been using a Tupperware with vegetable bag mesh I get from grocery store.
Would be cool to see some ideas and what others are using.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see your screw cap thingy lol
I've been using a Tupperware with vegetable bag mesh I get from grocery store.
Would be cool to see some ideas and what others are using.
Sorry, best I can do for right now. It’s the little white thing at the bottom. Got it for free from a buddy of mine, he said it was like $3.
062B9722-4933-4603-8039-C4C0C3CB2F18.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, best I can do for right now. It’s the little white thing at the bottom. Got it for free from a buddy of mine, he said it was like $3.
062B9722-4933-4603-8039-C4C0C3CB2F18.jpeg
I've been using urine specimen cups I got from shipping from another reefer here.
I'll try to get a pic they are working great! Lol

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 to what’s said above.
Never had any luck gluing. Tried several times.
I’ve had success placing a shroom in a very very low flow area of the rock work. They’ll attach eventually. Takes a while. Thing is, it takes very little current to blow around a shroom. Especially the discosoma variety. They really like to take flight and go rock surfing. Basket/cup rubble trick is a solid technique to use. But that being said, if doesn’t like the new location once attached and relocated. It will probably detach again. Very annoying. Especially if you’ve just dropped several hundred dollars on that prized jawbreaker. I’ve never had issues with ricordea or rhodactis detaching. Just the disco varieties. Strange, but likely flow related. Discos don’t like flow. At least not IME. Good luck!!!

I have a beautiful red disc that has been in my tank for 4 months and hasn’t attached to the rocks lol. He’s positioned himself inside the Xenia colony and just floats there with this top open soaking up the light

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful red disc that has been in my tank for 4 months and hasn’t attached to the rocks lol. He’s positioned himself inside the Xenia colony and just floats there with this top open soaking up the light
Bury it. Some need that.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for history and the burying of mushroom sake. I did bury some of these Jawbreakers in course sand. Some only the feet that where exposed. Others totally. I'll post a picture of a baby I completely buried after light on tomorrow. :)
20200623_121941.jpg

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a better way to attach mushrooms and other similar stuff. They will not attach to any non porous surface. Glue only blocks the foot from sending out fibers. Pin then in place with drawing pins. That is how I keep them on my new Frags. Remove any old junk like aragonite gravel. They may have been shaved off if they are free. Put them where you want and pin them. Hint: If the pin won't go in, they won't attach. The material is wrong ( maybe a Concrete Cow Pie ). With real Aragonite the pin goes in. I just did a Tank Build. There are several pictures of Pinned Frags. These techniques are used in the Marine Ponds here. You may find the New Tank Thread interesting for several reasons.

0623201352.jpg three shrooms on basalt with Pacific Black Mussels.jpg purple gorgonia with Green Star on natural aragonite.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worry
There is a better way to attach mushrooms and other similar stuff. They will not attach to any non porous surface. Glue only blocks the foot from sending out fibers. Pin then in place with drawing pins. That is how I keep them on my new Frags. ....
Are drawing pins stainless steel ?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are drawing pins stainless steel ?

I'd bet they're not stainless, but even if they were they'd rust in short order. You'd need some pins made with 316 stainless or titanium stainless, and you won't find either. These pins are cheap, so you can use one and toss it. If you lose one in your tank, just learn how to retrieve it with an algae or powerhead magnet.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back