anyone swap out there internal skimmer pump for a varios 2S?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a skimmer that i really like the design of but it's stock DC pump is underpowered.

the skimmer has an internal pump so i've been thinking of swapping pumps. I have a few skimmer pumps from tunze, sicce psk and SK series and some jecods but i would have to glue bases on the sicces and tunze to secure & dampen them. I kind of wanted to get around having to do that so i was looking at the varios S2. i need about 600-700lph air and around 320-380 gph turnover so the ratings would fit the bill but i've never used a varios sadly.

anyone out there swap their skimmer pump successfully with a varios and had good results?

Tivo

Last edited:
OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not on the Aqua Maxx skimmer body , it was hanging off the skimmer body not touching the sump floor.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Sicce and Tunze Hydrofoamer skimmer pumps are better than nearly all. You can swap them if the output is similar - too little or too much contact time and flow can be bad. Too much air can be bad too.

I have replaced all of my old Sedras finally and if I get a simialr sized pump the skimmers work just as well and if I use a Hydrofoamer or Sicce they work a bit better than the Sedra.

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not on the Aqua Maxx skimmer body , it was hanging off the skimmer body not touching the sump floor.
So your application was mounting the pump external off body of the skimmer?
I'm looking to mount the pump inside off the base plate of an ATB elegance 150.

Two different things. I can mount it externally but would need to mod a short cylinder of the base to raise the original BB box then would need to drill forbthe output tube then drill and tap the base for a loooong nylon or titanium screw to mount. That's more modding than i would like to do unfortunately

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the internal part, but in general for me skimmers with external pumps do work better. Likely to do with more contact time inside of the body.

In the LA area, you can probably find no shortage of used skimmer bodies for nothing or really cheap if you did not want to modify this one. In Denver we have reef garage sales and people give them away.

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, Sicce and Tunze Hydrofoamer skimmer pumps are better than nearly all. You can swap them if the output is similar - too little or too much contact time and flow can be bad. Too much air can be bad too.

I have replaced all of my old Sedras finally and if I get a simialr sized pump the skimmers work just as well and if I use a Hydrofoamer or Sicce they work a bit better than the Sedra.
I have 3 extra sicces. An sk400 which is too small, a psk 600 which i know would work and a psk 1000 which would push too much. Since this is an internal pump skimmer, the sicces would require me to either glue those pumps to the base plate or mod a mounting plate to the underside of the pump. Regardless I'll have to do some nodding but really trying to limit it and not have to cut up the skimmer too much if you know what i mean. I'm getting only 15scfh (rmb meter) which is well under the rating at full speed on this stock pump. Would like to get at least 20 and a good DC would give me more tunability.

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the internal part, but in general for me skimmers with external pumps do work better. Likely to do with more contact time inside of the body.

In the LA area, you can probably find no shortage of used skimmer bodies for nothing or really cheap if you did not want to modify this one. In Denver we have reef garage sales and people give them away.
Thanks

I can go with a couple externals i have but my sump is tight and the area i would need to use an external pump is occupied my bags of matrix and siporax. I could do it though just want to entertain the varios right now.

Thank you for all your replies

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which pump did the INT ATB 150 skimmer come with?

I got burned by H&S. This is one of the reason I am pump shy,

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which pump did the INT ATB 150 skimmer come with?

I got burned by H&S. This is one of the reason I am pump shy,
Jecod. It's what they call a DC800. Long story. The skimmer was not what was advertised but i got them to give me a nice discount instead of just returning it outright. Normally i would have returned it but i decided to keep it and play around with it. The DC 800 specs are the same as the DCS 1200 so it's actually a 1200. Under powered imo for a 6 in dia 20+ inch high skimmercw-4 in neck. I had to run it on full power and deeper than i would like just to get it to skim dry.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you just purchase the next size up, or does the pump jump in size as well?

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you just purchase the next size up, or does the pump jump in size as well?
Next size up skimmer won't fit my skimmer chamber size. That would be the 840. I already have an econo 840. I ordered a jecod dcs2000 to run my chaeto reactor and uv but will try to see if the dc800 impeller will drop into the 2000. It might. The 2000 is only barely larger than the dc800 (only a few mm) so im hoping the magnet and impeller are the same. Doubt it though that's why I'm still eyeballing the varios.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Various 2 is a small size pump, the 4 is much larger.
Do you need pictures of the pump to see if it will work?

OP
OP
reeftivo

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Various 2 is a small size pump, the 4 is much larger.
Do you need pictures of the pump to see if it will work?
Thanks

I've seen lots of pictures but if you have any showing scale that might help a bit

A measurement from the base plate to the bottom edge of the volute intake where the venturi attaches would help too. That way i can see if and where i may need to widen the hole in the body of the skimmer to accomodate the varios venturi.

Any info would be appreciated

Tivo

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230902_112055.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take more, let me know what you might need.
Also the Simplicity skimmer pumps are really small as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back