Anyone use a DC battery backup directly with a Profilux 4 controller?

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people use a traditional UPS as backup - but it seem terribly inefficient to convert from the battery backup (DC) to AC and then back to DC via the power adapter.
For the same stored energy presumably you can get many more hours from a direct connection to a DC backup.

Has anyone explored connecting a Profilux controller directly to a DC battery backup (circumventing the inbox AC to DC adapter)?

I was wondering if you could use something like the VorTech Battery Back-up which has two ports - could you use one for your circulation powerhead and one for the controller (not sure if other devices will actually work with the Vortech)?

Or would both work if plugged into something like this?:

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the output voltage of the power supply, its not listed on the ghl site.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the output voltage of the power supply, its not listed on the ghl site.
The Profilux 4 is 12V.

The Vortech's MP10s are 24V I believe.

I'm not sure if one supply could cover both. But even if you needed to supplies, I wasn't sure if the concept is sound.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Profilux 4 is 12V.

The Vortech's MP10s are 24V I believe.

I'm not sure if one supply could cover both. But even if you needed to supplies, I wasn't sure if the concept is sound.
You could probably use this with a 12 v battery. This will keep the brain working, but not all connected loads

The vortech would need 2 x 12v batteries in series.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there reason you couldn't just run it directly off the back up? Some (like the one I initially posted) allow pass through power - so presumably you could use while keeping the backup topped off.

You could probably use this with a 12 v battery. This will keep the brain working, but not all connected loads

The vortech would need 2 x 12v batteries in series.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like there are some 12V to 24V boost module made for boating applications that could potentially be used. I'm wondering if the setup could look something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 10.18.38 PM.png

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think you need the step up transformer for the MP10. Ecotech only calls for using their booster on the Vectra pumps.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I was just going by the in box AC/DC adapter which is 24V. Do you know if you get the full output with a 12V supply?

I was assuming you were hooking up the battery to the batteryback up port on the MP10

1618500939902.png

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah got it - I was planning to replace the standard power supply directly. Since I'm also supplying backup power to the Profilux controller (which has the power loss detection module) - I can use that to reduce the output when on backup mode, but I think I'll still need the 24V for to enable full normal operation.

I was assuming you were hooking up the battery to the batteryback up port on the MP10

1618500939902.png

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have the Profilux and MP10 run off of the pass through power from the battery backup 100% of the time (and then the battery in theory will kick in if the power cuts off).

Does anyone have a reason why this plan won't work (or doesn't make sense - technically or otherwise)? I'm happy to be the guinea pig if it's a sound concept but just unproven.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have the Profilux and MP10 run off of the pass through power from the battery backup 100% of the time (and then the battery in theory will kick in if the power cuts off).

Does anyone have a reason why this plan won't work (or doesn't make sense - technically or otherwise)? I'm happy to be the guinea pig if it's a sound concept but just unproven.
No reason it won't work. Please keep us posted!

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason it won't work. Please keep us posted!

I found a battery backup with both a 12V and 24V regulated DC output:
PROGENY 300W Portable Power Station, 299Wh Backup Battery with AC Outlet, Regulated DC 12V, USB-C and Wireless Charging Solar Generators for Camping

Doing a trial run now with the Profilux and so far so good - been running all day without issue.

By my calculation this should be able to power the Profilux and one MP10 for close to 24 hrs. Will keep you posted on actual duration.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed my first run to failure - actually lasted almost 45 hours with the MP10 running a mix of reef crest and lagoon mode. Pretty happy with this solution so far!

I haven't set up my MP10 to be directly controlled by my Profilux yet, but I'm interested to see how long I can get if I reduce the output when the power cut is detected. Will feedback when I have time to setup and test again.

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SFREEF3R, I am setting up my GHL Profilux 4 system and came across this post. Any learnings / improvements over the last couple years on this battery backup system? Still working as expected?

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SFREEF3R, I am setting up my GHL Profilux 4 system and came across this post. Any learnings / improvements over the last couple years on this battery backup system? Still working as expected?

So far so good! I have some more details on the final setup on my build thread:
Final schematic also attached below.

I haven't stress tested my system lately (which reminds me I probably should) but so far no issues through the few power outages I've had. My initial trial I think had more than 45hrs of backup powering my pump and Profilux. I'll feedback next time I do a test if it has meaningfully decreased.

A couple of caveats to using a backup like mine. For one, very few power stations have a 24V out if you're planning to also supply your pump, so it's hard to find one with good reviews that will work for this purpose. If you're just looking for a backup for your Profilux then you have many more options.

Also many don't allow simultaneous charging and power draw needed for this application. Additionally, the polarity of the output on the 24V and 12V connections is not obviously listed for most products so you'll need to manually check this to confirm it isn't wired backwards (a potential risk to damaging your equipment if it is inverted) - fortunately it seems most products in this voltage range are center positive but it isn't a guarantee. Lastly - while this has worked great for me, it isn't really the intended application and I would expect an actual UPS could more reliable.

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 2.14.39 PM.jpg

Attachments

• 1703277416150.png
    1703277416150.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 14

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back