Anyone use reef diaper

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried them on a few of my systems, and IME they were useless.
In my 650g, I usually have to change the felt sock everyday… the reef diaper could stay on a week and not be clogged, which to me means that it has filtered almost nothing!

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't think its cheap. So far the best is using pads or floss in a cup for me it just easier to cut or pull off a chunk and put in the filter.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the concept of reef diapers is a good one, and I much prefer the seal of the neck to any sock I've tried, but, they need a tighter knit on them for sure, so I've taken to doubling up which does seem somewhat more effective... It's by no means a cheaper alternative to socks, just like regular diapers are not cheaper than cloth diapers. The utility is in the fact that they are disposable.

That said, a Cup with floss and carbon filters much better and is just as disposable...

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a waste to me.

My sump originally had 6 sock holders. I hated it, so I recently cut a piece of glass that covers 4 of them. With the remaining 2 I use 1 sock, and 1 filter holder that holds my carbon.

Using 100 micron socks, the 1 sock fills up basically daily. If for some reason it didn't clog up in 1 day, it will by day 2.

So that means I'd be looking at 30 diapers a month, and that is assuming it worked as well. If I go down to 200 micron socks, they'll last 3 days, but they don't pull as much out. So that's 10 diapers a month at 200 micron.

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a waste to me.

My sump originally had 6 sock holders. I hated it, so I recently cut a piece of glass that covers 4 of them. With the remaining 2 I use 1 sock, and 1 filter holder that holds my carbon.

Using 100 micron socks, the 1 sock fills up basically daily. If for some reason it didn't clog up in 1 day, it will by day 2.

So that means I'd be looking at 30 socks a month, and that is assuming it worked as well. If I go down to 200 micron socks, they'll last 3 days, but they don't pull as much out. So that's 10 a month at 200 micron.
you're supposed to wash socks... in the washing machine... they're re-usable

Diapers are another story, and they're cheaper than socks (you get 60 for $60)

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're supposed to wash socks... in the washing machine... they're re-usable

Diapers are another story, and they're cheaper than socks (you get 60 for $60)

Of course I wash my socks. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I wash my socks. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
That's good! I was scratching my head because your post sounds like you don't wash your filter socks...

Even putting 2 Reef Diapers on at once, it doesn't clog till the 3rd or 4th day... so it costs me $0.50 a day to use socks, which isn't a lot..

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the diapers for several months now and they work great for me. Change them out every 3-4 days. I hate hate hate cleaning socks and this makes it much more enjoyable. What small stuff they miss my skimmer takes care of. Not sure why some hate them so much. Makes taking vacations wayyyyyyy easier. Be gone a week and have a spare set ready to go for whoever is tank sitting

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good! I was scratching my head because your post sounds like you don't wash your filter socks...

Even putting 2 Reef Diapers on at once, it doesn't clog till the 3rd or 4th day... so it costs me $0.50 a day to use socks, which isn't a lot..

Oh I see the confusion. When I was talking about the amount of socks I'd need I was talking about the disposable ones.

I'll go up and edit my post, my bad.

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss seems like it does pull no where near as much **** out of water like filter socks
It depends on how you layer them although socks has better way of letting the water cover the entire surface area of the socks. But no matter how you do it you just have either clean or remove the filters to have fresh new one.

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how you layer them although socks has better way of letting the water cover the entire surface area of the socks. But no matter how you do it you just have either clean or remove the filters to have fresh new one.
I have filter cups what filter floss or pads do u use?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using them for about a month now and really like them. I'm a bit lazy so I wait untill they are overflowing before I change them. Not intentionally but my sump is in the basement and I don't always go down to check things like I should but I can tell by the sound of the overflows it time for new diapers. One thing about them is that they balloon up. They pull out no problem but I don't think they would work well in my redsea tank in the bedroom because space is limited and I think they would be hard to get out so I don't use them on that tank. The water in the tank I use them on is just as clear as it was when using socks. They are catching crap for sure. 20220526_195019.jpg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are catching crap for sure. 20220526_195019.jpg
How long were they in to get that dirty?
When I tried them, they never got that dirty (the socks do, in 1-2 days)…
Maybe they changed the material since I bought them when they were first announced.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long were they in to get that dirty?
When I tried them, they never got that dirty (the socks do, in 1-2 days)…
Maybe they changed the material since I bought them when they were first announced.
it takes mine about 3-4 days to get that dirty, the fact that they open up and balloon out gives them more surface area internally than a sock though, so doing an apples to apples comparison is difficult

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter cups what filter floss or pads do u use?

I have a pad on top of the two cups and then I put floss in the cups so I catch bigger particles on top with the pad then it trickles down to the floss in the cups. I replace mines every 4 days or so.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back