Anyone using a bashsea bio reactor?

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So after getting my custom bashsea sump I really like bashsea. Bashsea has a bio reactor which they promote as the heartbeat of the system and Steve says its more for stability than export. Anyone using one and thoughts on how it does?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a LFS in Indianapolis (The Reef) who runs these and exclusively Bashea filtration on their marine systems. I have the 8–30 bioreactor but system isn’t quite up get. As you would expect the build up quality is top notch.
So after getting my custom bashsea sump I really like bashsea. Bashsea has a bio reactor which they promote as the heartbeat of the system and Steve says its more for stability than export. Anyone using one and thoughts on how it does?

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know a LFS in Indianapolis (The Reef) who runs these and exclusively Bashea filtration on their marine systems. I have the 8–30 bioreactor but system isn’t quite up get. As you would expect the build up quality is top notch.
What do they think about it? What persuaded you to get one as well?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do they think about it? What persuaded you to get one as well?

I know a few large fish facilities and aquaculture facilities you use them or some time of moving bed filtration. The self cleaning nature of a moving bed filter where it only allows the younger healthy bacteria to survive is very appealing. It is a part of my aerobic filtration. I am employing mine on a large fish only but I know Steve runs these on all sorts of reefs.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have their 10g ato on the way, wanted it to match the sump
You will like it. Here is mine sits next to my 40 breeder sump.
20200131_074328.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked it up seems like a waste if u have love rock or sand or anything really

kinda like a bio ball reactor

what where u plans for it?

Im sure it’s well made and everything I have the bio pellet and carbon reactor and they were easy to use and well made

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The Camaro Show , did you ever receive any info on the reactor? On my upgrade I am planning on getting a Bashea sump, Ato tank, and a media reactor. I was wondering about the Bio reactor as well.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@The Camaro Show , did you ever receive any info on the reactor? On my upgrade I am planning on getting a Bashea sump, Ato tank, and a media reactor. I was wondering about the Bio reactor as well.
Yes I purchased one, Steve told me it’s the lifeline of the system and completely different then bio pellets most people get it confused with. It’s a 100% natural bio filter for systems with a large bio load that get fed heavy, it stabilizes the major water prams with none of the negatives of live rock long term. I still haven’t plumbed the new build yet so I can’t say much but I’m looking forward to seeing how it works and I think it’s a benefit no matter how you look at it. I’m a fan of a lot of live rock which I am only gonna be able to put enough as I can fit in the sump, until I find my dream display tank which the plan is to plumb downstairs to the grow out system.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I purchased one, Steve told me it’s the lifeline of the system and completely different then bio pellets most people get it confused with. It’s a 100% natural bio filter for systems with a large bio load that get fed heavy, it stabilizes the major water prams with none of the negatives of live rock long term. I still haven’t plumbed the new build yet so I can’t say much but I’m looking forward to seeing how it works and I think it’s a benefit no matter how you look at it. I’m a fan of a lot of live rock which I am only gonna be able to put enough as I can fit in the sump, until I find my dream display tank which the plan is to plumb downstairs to the grow out system.
My upgrade will be a 225 gal CDA tank. I plan on going with at least 60 to 80 pounds of live rock to at least seed the marco rock. I have seen way to many Dino issues with dry rock, having gone thru it myself. After I get it up and running I plan on trying as natural of an approach to N03 and P04 export as possible as other methods have caused me nothing but issues. I am curious to see how it works in your system as I know you currently have more to loose than I do as you have all to high end sps corals, and wouldn't do something to jeopardize it as you are probably even more picky than I am, meant as a complement. :)

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My upgrade will be a 225 gal CDA tank. I plan on going with at least 60 to 80 pounds of live rock to at least seed the marco rock. I have seen way to many Dino issues with dry rock, having gone thru it myself. After I get it up and running I plan on trying as natural of an approach to N03 and P04 export as possible as other methods have caused me nothing but issues. I am curious to see how it works in your system as I know you currently have more to loose than I do as you have all to high end sps corals, and wouldn't do something to jeopardize it as you are probably even more picky than I am, meant as a complement. :)
Sounds like a beautiful tank! Looking for something similar in the 180-300 range still thinking Glass.. idk I’ve seen some acrylic tanks and like them but something is just holding me back. Thank you for your complement! I still haven’t haven’t decided on who I want to get my live rock from for that reason. Do you have any suggestions?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana Riddle bought some live rock from KP Aquatics and said is was very clean, so that who I plan on going with.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bashsea sumps on all my large tanks. On reef, no bio reactor, just media reactors and skimmer (the skimmer is great). on freshwater (large 200+ gallons) systems, running 2 bio reactors on each. They seem to work fine. Was using bio balls/trickle filter before and no real change in water parms. Also running Matrix and eNitrate in media reactors.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@The Camaro Show Still running the bio reactor? If so, how has it worked out for you? I just purchased the 8-30 and it should be here this weekend. Not a lot of info out there on these so just looking for some feedback.

Do you run the output near your skimmer?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back