Anyone using battery backups or generators?

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently setting up a 120g(the money that will be invested in livestock) and thinking about how easy it would be to lose livestock from a power outage. I'm definitely buying a battery backup for the return pump and heater but wondering what everyone else is doing? Has anyone gone as far as to buy a generator? The power grid is pretty solid where I live. There are only two times in the past 16 years I can remember the power going out for more than an hour. Both were caused by wind damage from leftover hurricanes. I don't think I'll need to go as far as a generator but what battery backups do you all recommend for a budget shopper?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need some sort of backup, likely, for long term success. Anything from air stone pumps to whole house generators can be used. I personally use battery backups for my powerheads. An icecap battery on an mp40 will go a long way.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We have a small generator specifically for our reef tank that we got on sale as well as a recent battery backup for the mp40s. There is also a large generator for our home but hope to not use it anytime soon :) Best of luck

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need some sort of backup, likely, for long term success. Anything from air stone pumps to whole house generators can be used. I personally use battery backups for my powerheads. An icecap battery on an mp40 will go a long way.
Battery air pump for short outages. Can take water out of sump and pour in display to move things around. Portable generator for anything longer. Plus it saves the fridge and runs the furnace and well. Start and run every couple of months and plug something into it to put a load on it so it’s ready when you need it. Run away from the house. Don’t run in the house, basement or garage!!

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used generator for like 350 bucks and it runs like a champ, I try to keep like 10 gallons of gas on hand that I use in my lawn mower and replace so it doesent go bad.
Way cheaper than a house connected system and if the power goes out I can run extension cords to the tank.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 4 car batterys hooked to 600 watts of solar panels it backs up my tank(and is the primary power for it and rest of my mancave pole barn. When the batterys run low it kicks on a generator which charges up the batterys to run the 12v and 110V(inverter off the batterys).... same system is used for all normal power in my pole barn and is easy to expand

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking to a buddy about this that is good with electronics and traded an old laptop for 3 solar panels, gonna build a solar panel backup with lead acid rv batteries and have him wire everything up so that when the power drops itll auto switch to run the system with no interuption, it goes out for a few min here and there and a few hours on occasion so its a necessary for my situation

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large APC system with golf cart batteries for uninterruptible power and a generator for armageddon. I don't have water in my tank yet but have been planning this for months now.

I found the APC system for free and got used golf cart batteries for free that needed equalized. The generator is setup on a sub panel. I have to manually switch over the reef tank to the sub panel by throwing a contactor.

You can scrounge those large APC systems cheap.

I think it is very important to have a generator. Probably more than the APC solution. Look at all those people in Texas who lost entire systems.

Last edited:

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just talking to a buddy about this that is good with electronics and traded an old laptop for 3 solar panels, gonna build a solar panel backup with lead acid rv batteries and have him wire everything up so that when the power drops itll auto switch to run the system with no interuption, it goes out for a few min here and there and a few hours on occasion so its a necessary for my situation
Good call, its called a transfer switch. RV/solar industry has made all that stuff very affordable these days.
Make sure to run proper thickness of wires and use appropriate breakers.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have small power outages often that make me nervous. And extensive outages from superstorm Sandy and Irene caused me to buy a generator and the tank is the first thing I plug in. Drives my wife crazy since fish come first over food and heat! Lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running your main pump and a heater are the biggest draws on the entire system. The battery won't last long powering these 2 items.
Best bet, as said before, battery backup on a power head will last hours and that will hopefully get you home so you can hook up a genny if needed.
All you really need is O2 for the tank. Temp drop is slow depending how big your system is. Most can /will survive when temp hits even the upper 60's.
Edit: In my experience.

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Running your main pump and a heater are the biggest draws on the entire system. The battery won't last long powering these 2 items.
Best bet, as said before, battery backup on a power head will last hours and that will hopefully get you home so you can hook up a genny if needed.
All you really need is O2 for the tank. Temp drop is slow depending how big your system is. Most can /will survive when temp hits even the upper 60's.
Edit: In my experience.
i totally agree. O2 first then heat and circulation.

My system will be totally dependent On the skimmer for O2 and will have glass covers So I need a plan

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I have a UPS that powers everything except lights for about 40 minutes. It also protects against surges when the power goes out for a minute or five;
2) For longer outages (if they were to happen) a 2200w generator ready to go;
3) Additional backup is the outlet on my truck, handles 400w I think.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a battery backup. I use the Apex to shut everything down after 2 min of a power outage the prevent false shutdowns by a power flicker that happens every once in a while. I keep the return and powerhead running. That's it. No heat because I have a lot of water. I can run this way for about 42-48 hours. This all happens automatically using the Apex main head unit power monitoring.

A natural gas whole house generator is next on the list.

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call, its called a transfer switch. RV/solar industry has made all that stuff very affordable these days.
Make sure to run proper thickness of wires and use appropriate breakers.
Will do, im lucky with my situation sorta, small house but theres a small enclosed porch that is unused right behind where im going to set my tank and will set up the system in there and run it inside so its a short span and i trust the guy setting it up its not his first home built solar system.... ima pay close attention and ask all the questions i can so i can understand how it works so i can fix it

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a Generac 1800 that I bought solely for the reef tank. On;y used it a few times, but I haven't lost any livestock due to the power outage. Quick unplug of the power strip from the wall, and into the generator and we're back in business

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12000 watt propane portable generator (have a 250g inground propane tank) which I made into a standby using a generac auto transfer switch.
A lot of electrical work went into it. Several relays. Lots of wires. Too much to go into detail.
Works great, have had it setup for a few years. Kicks on after 5 minutes of power loss. Shuts off when power comes back on.
Its 100% permanent now on a concrete slab outside of my house.

It powers most of my house, including the aquarium.
I am in Florida so set it up mainly for hurricane season.
But have had random outages here and there, longest was for 6 hours since i setup the generator. When a car crashed into a power pole.
Its been used about a dozen times.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back