Anyone using Light Shades on Their Aquarium?

cheykaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently installed 3D printed light spill shades on my Ecotech Xr30 Radions and what huge difference they make.

1) Significantly reduces almost all glare when viewing aquarium.

2) The light is now focused into the Aquarium and the colors are popping. Will try and test to see if they improve Par.

3) Clean Inside glass less often. Normally clean inside glass from algae every 2 to 3 days. NOW cleaning them every 5 to 6 days and cleanup is quick - not nearly as much algae on the glass, and no thick algae spots that require constant back and forth with magnetic glass cleaner.

Who else is using light shades and what has been your experience?

8C694695-B1D0-43FA-AEE3-38B65369E7CC.jpeg

E2F700A1-296D-40F3-A897-A5DEDDD51DDB.jpeg

7685E830-DC3A-4B80-A728-E399C8E4814D.jpeg
How and where can I get one if these shades !?!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in an order with him today! Fast reply and even custom made sizes for my set up.
Good luck with the new light shades - believe you will be very happy with them.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my lights from @chemisfun11 Lee was awesome through the entire process and fast turn around! Custom design shades for my 3 Radion xr15 on a 300xl. Now the wife will stop asking me to turn off the lights haha.
659B9695-1321-4E3A-933F-DD17816C960E.jpeg

Wow - Really focuses light downward! They look great above your aquarium!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great and the reflectors are a neat idea. While we need to set Up equipment up so they are livable for us, ideally the light coverage is right up so it almost goes over the glass but not quite spills over. This is so you get the light reflecting off the glass into all sorts of angles in the tank, it’s a large par boost and helps prevent shading. If one makes shades so restrictive they are just putting a beam into the water only, aka you can see shade on the glass, you are removing the glass reflecting benefits. Now it might be a good trade off for some, but it’s just good to be aware. Not all the shades will block that much light so they are still quite valuable if one has a ton a spill outside the tank or glare right into their eyes.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the G5 XR30 and G4 XR15 shades from @chemisfun11 and they are fantastic!! They maintain great spread on the lights (unlike some of the other more box like designs) and definitely make the tank more enjoyable to look at. He was very quick to respond and got everything shipped over within a week. Highly recommend him to anyone looking to block out the LED glare!

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the G5 XR30 and G4 XR15 shades from @chemisfun11 and they are fantastic!! They maintain great spread on the lights (unlike some of the other more box like designs) and definitely make the tank more enjoyable to look at. He was very quick to respond and got everything shipped over within a week. Highly recommend him to anyone looking to block out the LED glare!
Any update on the light shades? Are you satisfied with them?

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always appreciate any feedback fellow reefers provide on these light spill shades. I have received a lot of positive feedback from reefers that have purchased my light spill shades which provides me with potential ideas...

I am contemplating offering a potential upgrade that would include a reflective surface inside the angled portion of the light spill shade. Most of my customers use diffusers which will decrease the PAR output. Rather than increase the intensity of the light itself which will cost more in electricity in the long run, a simple reflective surface has the potential to regain some PAR without increasing electricity use.

Feel free to chime in on this and share your experience. Everyone's needs and goals are slightly different, but I am here to try and help as best I can.

Happy reefing!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been curious about adding reflective material in the shades as well, the kessil ones too. Even glued aluminum foil or something similar and seeing the impact on PAR. For the large shades one would think it would be another direction to help shading too.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always appreciate any feedback fellow reefers provide on these light spill shades. I have received a lot of positive feedback from reefers that have purchased my light spill shades which provides me with potential ideas...

I am contemplating offering a potential upgrade that would include a reflective surface inside the angled portion of the light spill shade. Most of my customers use diffusers which will decrease the PAR output. Rather than increase the intensity of the light itself which will cost more in electricity in the long run, a simple reflective surface has the potential to regain some PAR without increasing electricity use.

Feel free to chime in on this and share your experience. Everyone's needs and goals are slightly different, but I am here to try and help as best I can.

Happy reefing!
@chemisfun11 I am loving the light shades I bought from you! They change the whole dynamic of the reef and significantly improve the view of my aquarium!

Can I retrofit the light shades I bought from you with the reflective material??? Big bonus!!!

Thanks!

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@chemisfun11 I am loving the light shades I bought from you! They change the whole dynamic of the reef and significantly improve the view of my aquarium!

Can I retrofit the light shades I bought from you with the reflective material??? Big bonus!!!

Thanks!
@PeterC99

I think you could easily retrofit my light shades with reflective material. There are lots of different kinds that have adhesive backing to experiment with out there.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone need a great gift idea for the holidays?

I highly recommend these 3D printed light shades! Significantly reduce the glare of these high powered lights and algae build up in the glass. Been using them for over 4 months now and really improves the aquarium viewing experience.
B0A6E542-5AE4-4799-9888-3407AA1B8604.jpeg

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back