Anyone with experiences of Mitrax LED bar 2 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I´m considering changing my illumination from PS Metis Hyperon S2 to Mitras Lightbar 2. I´m interested of people with experiences of this illumination. I run a P4 and think it is wise to buy “dumb” panels because the strength of the P4 in illumination runs. Probably I order 3 or 4 units of the model 120 but I´m rather unsure which type I should chose. With my PS – I get a very white “shine” even if the fixture does not include any white phosphorus coated LED:s – this because I´m able to use the RGB trick. I know that the lightbar 2 content RGB chips – that’s one of the reasons why I´m interested. I like – of different reasons – a white look of my aquarium – not yellow, not blue but just white.

If I look at the spectra Actinic and deep actinic suit me best because I do not want to much light in the 500 to 600 nm range. However, I´m unsure how blue the aquarium will turn if I as an example chose 1 actinic and 2 deep actinic.

At the moment – I´m running my PS for 300 W (at noon) and have two 54 watts T5 as complement. If I run 4 pcs 120 lightbar – I will get a max input of around 300 W and no room for a T5 fixture. However – with the lightbars I can have a 30 degree angel on the first – hence illuminate the back wall directly from the side. A way of illumination I have used before with success.

However – any thoughts what I should chose. Daylight, Ocean Blue, Actinic or Deep Actinic. I like daylight in one way – much of red >630 nm but heavy in 500 – 600 nm. However – I do not need to run it when I look at the aquarium. The same for Ocean Blue. With only actinic and deep actinic – a little bit afraid that I get to blue hue. However, the reds will be run 100 % must of the time.

I´m most interested in the lightbar 2 series because it will fit my aquaria very well and I do not need any hanging kit or so

Any thoughts and experiences out there

Sincerely Lasse

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse,

I am currently running 1 Actinic and 1 Deep Actinic and with control of the channels you can have it as blue or as white as you see fit. I been actually surprise how they illuminate white so well.

With the control through the P4, you can make them them as white, or as blue. I can do the deep blue if I wish, but been running a more white approach on my 150 to simulate daylight and been quite happy with it.

My Tank is only 18 Inches wide and the two have had no issues covering the tank, with the Par readings.

On my new build I went with the same two, I can take some pictures with different color ranges, or if you have something in mine I can program mine to match so you can see what it could look like :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto Thank you for the answer

My tank is around 47" length, 20" Wide and the deepest I will have corals will be 18". The lights will be 4" above the surface. Probably - I will run the RGB close to full power and blues a little bit lower. The use of the phosphorus coated LED:s will probably be at the min when I look at the aquarium. I´m also going to put the first bar (closed to the front window) in a 30 -45 degree angle in order to illuminate the backside of my reef and - this is a good trick - not illuminate the front window to much (algae control of the front window) The path I´m considering is to use 2 deep actinic lightbar 120 (2*77 W), 1 actinic 110 (70 w) and 1 Ocean Blue 110 (70 W) - total 294 W. I plan to use one power supply - 300 W. The reason for two wattage is the limit of 300 watt for all my 4. I will be close to 1 watt/l with as highest output You run much lower intensity compared with what i have in mind - are you satisfied with the growth rate and how everything is working out? Any other thoughts
- In your opinion - can I skip Ocean Blue ant use another actinic?

(@Vinny@GHLUSA - Am I to close to the limited 300 watt on one power supply here or it safe to run 2*77 and 2*70 W ?).

Sincerely Lasse

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think putting the ocean Instead of another actinic may not be a bad option if you want to run Greens and reds at full. I do this only on sunrise and sunset not throughout the day as I was concerned it was going to promote algae growth. Going to be interested on your light schedule.

The spread on the lights is quite large so going to be interested on how you mounts yours. Mine are 10 inches off the top of the tank which is causing the hit on the front of the glass never thought about lowering them and angle the front and back ones to accommodate the lights.

As for the power supply I thought it had to be able to handle the lights at 100% regardless, but I could be wrong.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've some on order now. 1 Ocean Blue 80cm and 1 Ocean Blue 140cm for my 150cm tank. I'll let you know how they look when they're here. But they are on a slow boat From Dusseldorf, so you will probably have yours first.

So far I've just been running a 90w Current USA light (that I may keep on as well) and have had problems with algae. I know that I'll still be under powered and will scale up over time. I actually have 300w MarsHydro on the refugium.

But how are you putting 300w into your display, not really skimming, and ending up with a tank that looks as good (and algae free) as yours?

Cheers, Tony

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tristren IMO - you can spell this miracle as "Large and diverse Clean-up Crew" and a rather high biomass of fast growing corals :)

Sincerely Lasse

That sounds like a great way to do it!

What do you have in terms of clean-up crew?

I'm hoping that the lights will help me with the growing corals.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of snails and of different species - eating different food I hope. I think I have 40 + at the moment. I put in new now and then. The same with the hermits - probably 50 + and of as different species I can found. I like the small ones and stay away from the large. I have two sea cumbers and (I start with one but there is fore sure two of them at the moment (at least) One diadema urchin - and at least 4 species of shrimps. One large Sally Lightfoot crab. And there is more Lasses little helpers in the aquaria.

Sincerely Lasse

petestewardson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bump this thread but interested to know if anyone has had good success with these? I currently run a 48"x20"x22"h tank on 4 XR15Pro G4's but I'm shortly going to be changing to a 48"x28"x24"h tank and worry I will need more Radions, and I would like more even lighting. Just wondering how many of the lightbars I would need to cover this tank for an SPS dominated tank.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the light bars a lot and have had no issues.. I think @Lasse would be another person and @Tristren.

@Marco@GHLUSA and @Vinny@GHLUSA can help on how many.

I am currently running on a 18” wide 72” long two 160cm light bars one actinic and deep actnic and are now adding another deep actnic as I learned I did. If have enough lighting on the back of the tank with two. The light is even throughout the tank and the configuration options with the P4 connected are tremendous.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm very happy with them. I have a 140 and an 80 on my tank (60l 18w 24h)

I'm going to add another 140 sometime soon but even with what I have the corals seem happy. Monti is growing off the plug onto the rock etc...

The spread is great.

Cheers, Tony

petestewardson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not talked about very much, but seem to be great for getting good spread like T5's but with the option to tune them like other lights. Main worry is how many I'd need for an SPS dominated tank to see if it's a viable option :)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 120 (47.24") X 50 (19.69 ") X 50 (19.69") For the moment I use 2 x 110 Deep Actinic, 1 x 110 Actinic and 1x100 Ocean Blue. Reason for this is that I only need passiv split and 1 power adapter (4 units and 300 W ) If you aim to have more than 4 - you need 1 active split and at least 2 passive split. For the moment I do not P4 support active split but it will in the future 100 cm will be a little to short for you if you attempt to use the inbuilt holders

Look at my answer in another thread

Sincerely Lasse

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse how are you getting on with your lights.
I have 3 x 6200 on my tank and just adding ML 2 to one end, so that I can keep the lighting lower for corals which dont need too much light.
Tank is 7x2x2

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back