Anything you can add to prevent ich ?

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Is there anything you can add to your tank that is Coral safe to help prevent Ich?

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Best bet is to quarantine everything before going in the main display tank. Coral and inverts for 76 days and fish for 30 day copper treatments (or 2 weeks if you do the transfer method)

OP
OP
R

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Best bet is to quarantine everything before going in the main display tank. Coral and inverts for 76 days and fish for 30 day copper treatments (or 2 weeks if you do the transfer method)

I pay nearly twice retail for fish from my LFS only that are already QT that I usually witness over the course of weeks before s purchase so I know it’s happening and I don’t mind the price increase for quality

I was just asking because I recently purchased an expensive fish and trying to do what I can to make his life long and happy regardless of expense

Someone needs to get on that whole making a preventative product!
They would be rich!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay nearly twice retail for fish from my LFS only that are already QT that I usually witness over the course of weeks before s purchase so I know it’s happening and I don’t mind the price increase for quality

I was just asking because I recently purchased an expensive fish and trying to do what I can to make his life long and happy regardless of expense

They would be rich!
The issue is finding something that kills off the ich but not corals or inverts. To my knowledge no such element exists at this time:)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to start using the Large Hadron Collider for some real work!
54caa24d0d37d_-_ironmanparticleaccel_300_0510-de.jpg

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They would be rich!

The issue is every known medication for ich will kill inverts and corals. Most fish will be fine with it. Finding a specific drug that only affects cryptocaryon or the other parasites will have to be relatively specific for each parasite. Not sure if that will be possible. IMO medicated QT is the only way to go. Not sure how well your LFS QT fish, however I have NEVER seen one that does it correctly without cross contamination.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting a preventative medication in the tank would likely just stress the fish and ecosystem out; better to treat what appears in quarantine and try to keep any and all unnecessary chemicals out of the reef tank. I mean, if the fish is not sick in quarantine, I don't recommend medicating them either; just watch them and treat only what shows up.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
New Life Spectrum also has a food called ick shield.

Back