Apex Alarm On/Off with no explanation

Neptune

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My Apex is giving an alarm every few seconds with no explanation other than "Alarm is off". I don't understand what it means or how to stop it.

This has been one of my most regretful purchases in the history of saltwater reef keeping.
Alarms.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
This happens when a sensor is toggling so quickly that the Apex doesn’t have time to send the initial Alarm On notification before sending the Alarm Off notification.

Add this line to your EmailAlm code to force the alarm to remain active long enough to send the initial Alarm On notification before turning off the alarm:

Min Time 000:30 Then ON

This will help you identify the source of the alarm, then you can investigate what’s causing the sensor to toggle so quickly.

See my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more tips and details on optimizing and prioritizing your alarms:

RAP

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Does your Apex have float switches used with an ATO? Did you purchase this unit used?

Basically, when Swx3_2 is CLOSED it'll trigger the alarm. Any idea what function this switch serves? ATO low float? Skimmer full float? An ATO switch that's getting knocked around by water movement will "chatter". Could be a loose wire on breakout box. Personally, if you don't think it's an actual switch performing its intended function, albeit erratically, I'd lean towards a wire being loose.

Trust me and everyone else with an APEX, you won't regret the purchase once you're more acclimated to the system.

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
“If Swx3_2 CLOSED Then ON” is most likely the upper optical sensor on the ATK. Read my ATK tutorial to make sure yours is set up properly and follow the listed troubleshooting instructions to test your optical sensors:

Neptune

What is your most favorite type of shrimp for your reef tank?

• Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 19 4.1%
  • Banded Coral Shrimp

Votes: 43 9.2%
  • Snapping or Pistol Shrimp

Votes: 44 9.4%
  • Harlequin Shrimp

Votes: 43 9.2%
  • Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Votes: 141 30.1%
  • Blood Red Fire Shrimp

Votes: 102 21.7%