Apex Auto Feed Mode Suggestions...

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am new to Apex but i'm slowly learning.
I do not have the AFS. I use the Eheim Auto Fish Feeder. I have it set to feed at 6pm everyday.

I would like to have my Apex do a feed mode for that time where it would do what it does for the AFS like turn return pump and skimmer off and turn pumps down or off.

How can I do this?

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could do something like this in fusion. I used this from a thread on their forum and it works for me perfectly.

Modify your programming to use your actual names, such as in the skimmer program. For example, if your return pump output is named MainPump, then If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF will not work; you would change that statement to If Outlet MainPump = OFF Then OFF

You will need to create the necessary virtual output. Using either APEX Fusion or APEX Local, go to the Outputs view. In the upper right, click on the outlet-in-a-cloud button, then choose Add a Virtual Output.

This adds a delay before the feeder turns on, allowing 30 seconds for water movement in the display tank to calm, and any back-draining after the return pump stops, reducing the likelihood of food getting sucked into the overflow as soon as it is dropped from the feeder.

VFeed (virtual outlet)
Set OFF
If Time 10:00 to 10:09 Then ON (CHANGE THESE TO THE TIMES YOU WANT, feed1)
If Time 18:00 to 18:09 Then ON (CHANGE THESE TO THE TIMES YOU WANT, feed2)

Feeder
Set OFF
If Outlet vFeed = ON Then ON
Defer 000:30 Then ON

Return
(Existing code)
If Outlet vFeed = ON Then OFF

Skimmer
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF
If HighSw OPEN Then OFF (optional)
Defer 005:00 Then ON

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be an easier way but I do this with a Virtual Outlet (go to the outlets page and in the top right corner there is an icon of an outlet in a cloud).

1 - Create Virtual Outlet (name it Dinner - or something else short and simple, I will refer to it as Dinner in following steps)
2 - In the Advanced Outlet setting enter:
If Time 17:58 to 18:10 Then On
3 - Set Dinner to Auto
4 - In your return and skimmer outlets add: (They will have to be set you Advanced)
If Output Dinner = ON Then OFF

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yeaaaaah....

I still have a lot of learning to do because what you guys said makes no sense to me yet.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So yeaaaaah....

I still have a lot of learning to do because what you guys said makes no sense to me yet.

You should have seen this back in 2003/2004 when we used X10 modules holy hell. Thank god I was a computer science guy or I would never have figured it out haha.

Also, register on their forum they have some very talented people that love to help. I’d venture to guess 50% or more of Apex owners use about 30% of its capabilities. They are very powerful tools to make our lives a lot easier. Once you get it setup, you literally won’t touch that module again unless you make some major change.

Basically what mine does is turn off for skimmer and return pump for a specific time, you can do so even more with in tank pumps, waits 30 seconds then dumps in food allowing it to feed the tank vs feeding the overflow lol.

Then the code says hey stupid let me turn on your skimmer, return pump, etc bc I know at one time or another you will forget to turn me back on and it will be a disaster. [emoji23]

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My explanations in red.
You could do something like this in fusion. I used this from a thread on their forum and it works for me perfectly.

Modify your programming to use your actual names, such as in the skimmer program. For example, if your return pump output is named MainPump, then If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF will not work; you would change that statement to If Outlet MainPump = OFF Then OFF You can change the names of the outlets, the physical plugs or "virtual" outlets you create. A virtual outlet is sort of like a lightswitch on your wall. You don't turn on the light, you turn a switch and the things you have connected to it perform an action. For example, you the feed modes operate like a virtual outlet.

You will need to create the necessary virtual output. Using either APEX Fusion or APEX Local, go to the Outputs view. In the upper right, click on the outlet-in-a-cloud button, then choose Add a Virtual Output.

This adds a delay before the feeder turns on, allowing 30 seconds for water movement in the display tank to calm, and any back-draining after the return pump stops, reducing the likelihood of food getting sucked into the overflow as soon as it is dropped from the feeder.

VFeed (virtual outlet)
Set OFF This is telling the Apex that you want the outlet to be off by default.
If Time 10:00 to 10:09 Then ON (CHANGE THESE TO THE TIMES YOU WANT, feed1)
If Time 18:00 to 18:09 Then ON (CHANGE THESE TO THE TIMES YOU WANT, feed2) These tell the Apex when to turn the outlet on.

Feeder
Set OFF Once again, telling the Apex it should be off by default.
If Outlet vFeed = ON Then ON Tells the Apex to turn the feeder on when the VFeed outlet is on.
Defer 000:30 Then ON This tells the Apex to wait until the VFeed outlet has been on for 30 seconds before turning on. This allows time for your pumps to stop and the tank to stop draining down your overflow before the food is dispensed.

Return
(Existing code)
If Outlet vFeed = ON Then OFF This shuts down your return when VFeed is on. Note the lack of a "Defer" command. This means it turns off as soon out VFeed is activated.

Skimmer
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Outlet Return = OFF Then OFF Once again, this turns the skimmer off as soon as VFeed is activated.
If HighSw OPEN Then OFF (optional) This assumes you have the Apex running your top off. It uses the high level emergency switch to turn off the skimmer if your sump water level is too high in order to prevent it from overflowing.
Defer 005:00 Then ON This tells your skimmer to wait for 5 minutes before turning on automatically. This allows water levels in your sump to return to normal, helping to prevent it from overflowing.

I'm linking the Neptune documentation page here. The comprehensive reference manual provides a pretty good overview of the programming, though some of the language has been updated since it was last revised.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sloooooowly figuring this out.
I gather that I am NOT doing anything with the feed cycle (A) (B) (C) or (D)? If i'm following you right, this feed (Dinner) mode will be automatic and independent of the feed cycles?

Thanks for the help and for pointing me in the right direction.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I change the control type on the virtual outlet to "Feeder"Would this work?
I'm thinking that this would allow the virtual outlet to be in "Auto" and I can have 1st feeding to start at 17:57pm to allow 3 minutes for water drain from display.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the code I got but I don't quite understand it and I think I would have to modify it to include the skimmer and Wav pumps.

OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then ON
If Time 00:00 to 17:57 Then OFF
If Time 17:59 to 00:00 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then ON

I don't know what OSC is

Looking at the code above, with my VERY limited understanding of this stuff, I'm thinking this is not even close to what I want.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so....
I don't think the above idea will work.:(

What I have now is...
Dinner
Device..................Cntl A1
Location...............Virtual Output simulated by the Apex; it's not real.
Name....................Dinner
Icon......................Up/Down Arrow
Control Type........Advanced
Log.......................Enabled
Configuration:
If Time 17:58 to 18:10 Then ON

Return Pump
Device..................2_3
Location...............Outlet 3 on the EB832 named EB832_2 at Aquabus address 2.
Name....................RetPump_2_3
Icon......................Up/Down Arrow
Configuration:
Fallback ON
Set ON
If FeedA 005 Then OFF

Skimmer
Device..................2_5
Location...............Outlet 5 on the EB832 named EB832_2 at Aquabus address 2.
Name....................Skimmer_2_5
Icon......................Left/Right Arrow
Configuration:
Fallback OFF
Set ON
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

I have Return Pump, Skimmer and Dinner set on Auto.
Does this look about right?

Also, In "Dinner" where I have If Time 17:58 to 18:10 Then ON, does there need to be coding to to turn "Dinner" off after 18:10?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 modification to the dinner code...

1. Set Off
2. If Time 17:58 to 18:10 Then ON

I think i'm good to go until I restrict some of the flow during "dinner"

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am diggin' this Apex controller!
The "Dinner" mode worked exactly the way it was supposed to.
All was well except for the 10 or so gallons of water that overflowed.

Totally my fault.
I forgot that I have a large U.V. Sterilizer that is gravity fed (siphon).
I have the inlet coming from the display tank and it drains into the sump.
Everything worked exactly as it should have.
The return shut down, the skimmer shut down, the auto feeder dispensed the food, the U.V. sterilizer continued to siphon water into the sump and the sump overflowed into the floor.
After "Dinner" the return pump came back on, the skimmer resumed 5 minutes after.

I need to figure out something for the U.V.
Other than that,
Total success!

Last edited:

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!! These things are amazing for sure!!!

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to say thank you to

@ScottW
@Js.Aqua.Project and
@Breadman03.

You guys helped me start to understand how this stuff works.

I appreciate the help.

My pleasure brother! It will get so much easier. I remember my first time even looking past the original Apex, it is very over whelming. But this is an awesome community with great people that are always willing to help out!!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime.

You need to configure your system so that all of the water stays in your boxes when you lose power. Check valves aren't reliable because junk grows in out pipes. You'll want to look into getting its inlet high enough that not much water siphons down.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime.

You need to configure your system so that all of the water stays in your boxes when you lose power. Check valves aren't reliable because junk grows in out pipes. You'll want to look into getting its inlet high enough that not much water siphons down.

I thought of that and it's a great idea for power outages but it does not address my "Dinner" problem.
It will prevent overflows but will also stop the U.V. from doing it's job.
I have it gravity fed to deal with dinos. I'd the slowest rate I have been able to achieve plus it uses no extra electricity. It goes srtaight from the display to the sump.

I will have to re think of how I want to run it

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back