OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it reads when i try and update the webpages. . .

Uploading file: all.js...

Operation failed with the following error information:

Unable to connect to the remote server

Unable to connect to the remote server

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about your issue with updating, but you do know that if the apex fails to communicate with fusion, it will reboot the system to try an reestablish a connection?

I was having random reboots, and that's what I was told by neptune. Replaced my router, and haven't had an issue since(unless I'm torrenting and using all my bandwidth up).

EDIT:
This is with the "older" apex, not the new one which is what I own.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitivly something is wiered. I haven't had a single reboot again and i didn't update. I think that if it really is a problem with version it will be rebooting all the time.

So my conclusion is that something is causing it to reboot.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the results of the last try for the update...

Sent block: 120 of 120 successful.
Starting Apex

Waiting for input from Apex, timed out...

not sure where to go from here now. All the outlets are still functioning but the apex display remains blank. illuminated, yet blank. Im going to take a second to just relax and eat some dinner, then just think of anything else i can possibly do right now. Im 98% ready to take it offline, and try and work on "off" my tank. And just have the tank running on APC's and go back to unplugging cords manually for water changes and such lol.
Also - when I updated mine - I took it offline - and did it with nothing connected. Did you check out the Neptune systems website - to see if there is another problem like this? My guess is its an easy fix.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure about your issue with updating, but you do know that if the apex fails to communicate with fusion, it will reboot the system to try an reestablish a connection?

I was having random reboots, and that's what I was told by neptune. Replaced my router, and haven't had an issue since(unless I'm torrenting and using all my bandwidth up).

EDIT:
This is with the "older" apex, not the new one which is what I own.

That makes no sense.. All settings are stored on the Apex and not fusion.. you also do not need fusion to run a Apex. That would mean every time the internet drops it would try to reboot the system. That would cause massive issues.

Internet dropping or any communications dropping with fusion should not cause this it would be a huge mistake by Neptune.

To the OP are you actually seeing the unit reboot or are you just seeing this on fusion.. I mean do your lights go out on the unit etc.? If it is fusion you have to wonder if it is disconnects and not actually the unit rebooting?

If you are seeing the unit actually reboot are you could be having power issues like tiny power outages or brown outs? It could be the power to the unit and not the actually unit..

The other issues you are having though leads me to believe the Apex unit may have issues.

Also if it has been running fine on the older firmware and you changed nothing like adding a module it is not the firmware.

I have heard of others with this rebooting issue and they have just bought new units.

Last edited:

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case i have to say that i haven't experienced anymore reboot issues and i didn't update neither change noting.

Funny, funny, funny....

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever solve the problem?
I havnt no. The system is still sending Heartbeat Emails to me saying that the apex is disconnected from fusion. So its still talking somewhat, i just dont have it updated, and the display screen is still blank, on, but blank
That makes no sense.. All settings are stored on the Apex and not fusion.. you also do not need fusion to run a Apex. That would mean every time the internet drops it would try to reboot the system. That would cause massive issues.

Internet dropping or any communications dropping with fusion should not cause this it would be a huge mistake by Neptune.

To the OP are you actually seeing the unit reboot or are you just seeing this on fusion.. I mean do your lights go out on the unit etc.? If it is fusion you have to wonder if it is disconnects and not actually the unit rebooting?

If you are seeing the unit actually reboot are you could be having power issues like tiny power outages or brown outs? It could be the power to the unit and not the actually unit..

The other issues you are having though leads me to believe the Apex unit may have issues.

Also if it has been running fine on the older firmware and you changed nothing like adding a module it is not the firmware.

I have heard of others with this rebooting issue and they have just bought new units.

I was sitting in the room and all the sudden everything shut off as if i went into the system, net set up, and hit restart myself. the first time it happened i asked myself " did i just do that?" and then i realized i didnt becuase all i was doing was filling up my ato reservoir at the time. Since that day, its happened more and more frequent.

I suspected power outage too, but the ceiling fan and lights in the room remained un phased, as did all the other electric in the house. I made sure to split the energy bars up between two outlets as to not draw too many amps off one outlet and make it trip.

Im thinking my apex just bit the dust unfortunately. Luckily all the pumps are fall backed to the on position, so its still all running. The lights and CaRx are the only systems affected. I just received a Milwaukee mc122 controller to hook up to the reactor, to by pass the pm1 i had installed on the apex. If i get some more free time on the weekend, ill play with it some more, but as of now ive just accepted the fact that im screwed, and have implimented new ways to get the tank back to 100%

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Whether it makes sense or not, it is what I was told by Neptune when I was having reboot issues and they remoted into my apex. My apex could not communicate with fusion, so the system reboots to try and reestablish communications. Also sounds plausible, as I stated that when I'm running torrents and using up 100% of my bandwidth, my apex will often reboot. My apex will also randomly(well not exactly randomly, just never sat to see the exact interval) reboot when my internet goes down.

I know you can use the an apex without fusion, so maybe this is only an issue once you connect the apex to fusion?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I havnt no. The system is still sending Heartbeat Emails to me saying that the apex is disconnected from fusion. So its still talking somewhat, i just dont have it updated, and the display screen is still blank, on, but blank

I was sitting in the room and all the sudden everything shut off as if i went into the system, net set up, and hit restart myself. the first time it happened i asked myself " did i just do that?" and then i realized i didnt becuase all i was doing was filling up my ato reservoir at the time. Since that day, its happened more and more frequent.

I suspected power outage too, but the ceiling fan and lights in the room remained un phased, as did all the other electric in the house. I made sure to split the energy bars up between two outlets as to not draw too many amps off one outlet and make it trip.

Im thinking my apex just bit the dust unfortunately. Luckily all the pumps are fall backed to the on position, so its still all running. The lights and CaRx are the only systems affected. I just received a Milwaukee mc122 controller to hook up to the reactor, to by pass the pm1 i had installed on the apex. If i get some more free time on the weekend, ill play with it some more, but as of now ive just accepted the fact that im screwed, and have implimented new ways to get the tank back to 100%
FWIW - last week - my neighbor called - and asked - did your power go off - I said no - 4/5 clocks we have didnt 'reset' - our generator didnt 'come on' - BUT - one clock did reset (i.e. was blinking) - so I think its dependent on the 'applicance' - or could be. I'm no electrician. Have you called Neptune?

solor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your boot loader up to date? Apparently this has to be done manually though the display box or Neptune remotes in (my remote is schedule for Thursday)

I just spent two hours getting my 5 year old apex classic to update to the latest version. Fusion said it was up to date, but it was not.

The light would turn solid orange and disconnect from everything. All modules flashing green. Then when I would power cycle it it would boot up then it would shut off and restart again.

I had to to do that probably 15 times to get it to accept the update and then the webpages concurrently.

Personally I had to boot the laptop into safe mode with networking and connect Ethernet directly to apex, use the flash utility to get the IP, then power cycle until it worked.

My situation I had to unplug the usb power, unplug the Ethernet, replace usb power and when the light turned green, replace the Ethernet, then wait until it shut everything off and rebooted again to get networking.

I got all sorts of errors including “no arp” errors, can not connect errors. I Just powered cycled and tried again.

Doesn’t make sense to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, but these are computers and rebooting does things...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had trouble doing it via windows, but it was stupid simple on my Mac. Click click done.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an issue of apex classic restarting without power loss last week.
I had my apex since 2011 and never had this issue.
It actually killed one of the controllers to my pumps. I read a thread that is was internet related.

I changed DHCP to off
Changed the IP address of the apex to a high number ex: 192.168.0.222
Change the port from 80 to :8080
Turned back on the DHCP

Power cycled apex and router.

Has not restarted in 5 days

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like this might be a hardware issue on the apex or corrupt memory. It's causing the firmware transfer to be unsuccessful. Make sure both the apex and your computer are connected to ethernet when uploading the firmware. You might want to try on another computer too just to cover all your bases.

The classic units don't have a reset button and can get into difficult states to recover from. It could also be a faulty module. I've removed modules before (like bricked EB8's) and fixed issues like this. You can only do that in the local apex dashboard.

You also might want to look at your router logs incase it's changing the IP or unhappy with the apex client for some reason.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like this might be a hardware issue on the apex or corrupt memory. It's causing the firmware transfer to be unsuccessful. Make sure both the apex and your computer are connected to ethernet when uploading the firmware. You might want to try on another computer too just to cover all your bases.

The classic units don't have a reset button and can get into difficult states to recover from. It could also be a faulty module. I've removed modules before (like bricked EB8's) and fixed issues like this. You can only do that in the local apex dashboard.

You also might want to look at your router logs incase it's changing the IP or unhappy with the apex client for some reason.

I agree, i just dont think Neptune Systems planned for the future with this model, hence the newer version. I have Ethernet plugged in while doing the firmware too.

I also noticed the lack of a small reset button as well. which sucks because it could essentially resolve this issue.. I dont have another computer to use unfortunately, i actually just bought this one too. lol This weekend when im off work and have some time i will dive back into this.

For the mean time, the tanks running all on the fallback modes, and funny enough... it hasnt reset itself since... not once. Sure im locked out of the system, but its working now. lol!!! Gotta love technology.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks running all on the fallback modes, and funny enough... it hasnt reset itself since... not once.
lol that is funny. If it works can't argue with that.

I ran into my apex classic hitting a point like this too and decided to get the new one purely based on this reset button:

1565734504167.png

I've considered trying to copy the data from one apex classic to another to restore the filesystem correctly. I didn't have time to do this and just bought the new unit. You should contact their support, they are usually very helpful with this kinda stuff when you open a ticket. You can send the unit in though to be fully repaired or sometimes they offer additional options.

In the past I've sent back display modules and base units to be restored properly. I've also bricked EB8's. There are ways their support can ssh into the machines and fix them if they are connected to your network.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back