Which Apex

• Total voters

Sage Robinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Looking at purchasing a controller for my new reefer 350, mainly looking at it for control and looking after my tank while I'm away. Long term will add the DOS and automatic feeder. Question is should I go for the classic edition or the 2016 edition (heard some negative reviews). Getting the 2016 edition for the power bar is not a consideration as I'm from a 240V country and so both come with the classic EB6. And is salinity monitoring worth it, I've heard lots of people have problems getting a stable reading from the probe.

Cheers

AlexDm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny... My new Reefer 350 is coming in next week and I'm still debating on getting what and what... but I did leave my decision on what control to get and I purchased the new Apex 2016 by Neptune Systems, seems to be a great buy ... MOSTLY because its wifi and ethernet friendly (while the old one was only ethernet).... so you dont have to run a ethernet cable across the house or through walls ..... And the Salinity monitoring personally seems great since you dont have to buy an extra module and the more you can monitor the better in my opinion... no need to check manually.... Hope that clears some answers up I did a couples hours on research before I purchased it.... I haven't got it yet but personally I suggest it from what I've heard/read

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity probe is very tempermental, and untrustworthy. Always has been. It might be a bad probe, I dunno. I'm not spending money on another probe to find out, if that tells you anything. ;)

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't use the new energy bar then you may as well go with the classic. Most of the upgrades are on the energy bar. It allows you to plug in the dos and wav pumps without needing a one link module. It also shows you which outlets are in use. As far as connectivity, the new one comes with wifi built in but a 35 dollar gaming adapter does the same thing. I would go with the old one. Especially since the new one is pretty ugly IMO.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probes require maintainence to be effective. So unless you want to keep up the calibration another method may be more cost effective for the long run. Depending on electronics may prevent you from watching the organisims in the tank. Many times the organisms will show you a problem before the electronics sends an alarm. Observation is a major tool for success.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back