Apex controller help?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the maximum capabilities of this unit? As far as expansions what can it do? What can't it do?

I am referring to the big one, not the junior.

This is for a 65 gallon system w/sump

Lights have built in timer.

4 koralia pumps in tank.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can add up to 256 devices to the aquabus system. So if you added 256 EB8s your could control 1600+ outlets. You can add multiple pH, ORP, DO, Condx modules again up to a max of 256 devices. As for what it can do it all depends what you want it to do and how you program it.

Mine monitors pH, ORP, Temp and Condx of my display tank, it also controls my auto top off, my surge tank, my 6 tunze pumps, my 4 lights, my moonlights, my temperature control, pH monitoring of Kalk reactor, pH monitoring of Calc reactor and keeps my updated when anything starts to go awry.

It has huge potential.

Dave B

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine controls light cycles, temo, my ecotech pumps(on multiple cycles during the day), ph, my dosing pumps for ALk mag and cal, and fuge light. For the therm it controls what tem to come on and off and also turn cooling fans on and off based on temp. The Apex is a great addition to any reef tank.

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the maximum capabilities of this unit?

The Apex is good for basic on/off outlet commands for simple scenarios (time, pH, etc.) which is why so many people praise it.

If you need anything beyond those simple everyday scenarios, the Apex leaves you wanting something better. There are ways to force the Apex do do complex scenarios but they are basically a series of ugly hacks (create multiple virtual outlets into a convoluted mess).

What can't it do?

The Apex' 0-10v interface is horrible (profile control only) leaving no way to manually increment/decrement the 0-10v signal and they have no way to display the 0-10v power level being sent to your lights/pumps.

You can read the on/off status of another outlet/virtual outlet but you can't read the profile status of another outlet/virtual outlet. This greatly inhibits the programming capabilities of an outlet based on what another outlet is doing.

The web interface can fail to store new settings, forcing you to enter the same change multiple times before it "takes".

The web interface is prone to freezing up, forcing you to power cycle the unit to restore access. This is not always easy when your controller is under a tank and out of reach. Plus it is irritating/inconvenient.

People dont often point out the Apex' shortcomings because it is better than the Reefkeeper and cheaper than the Profilux.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I'm setting this up for someone so I am learning about it. I don't even want to know what the more expensive one costs. Lol. I think he spent 520 on the set.

So just to be clear: it can have a crapload of outlets

But It is basically an on/off switch and that's it + its probe capabilities?

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seymour,

Yes it can control a crapload of outlets.
Yes it has massive probe capabilities.
You can also add a BOB - Break Out Box - Which allows you to have trigger switches ie: Float Switches, Push button, Flood Sensors, - That you can then trigger outlets from in response to conditions.

The on/off capabilities of the outlets can be controlled by time, temperature, probe status, moon pattern, Switch actuation, time of year.

Dave B

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But remember, it can control ANYTHING you want, but do you KNOW how to set it up? read instructions on it, then go read more about it..

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I can setup what needs installed first, I am researching about the expansion capabilities and things.

I found some good setup tips and safeguards so I don't melt his sump lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back