APEX Controller with BRS dosing pumps

Darwin stinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost decided on buying an Apex Controller but I also want to be able to dose Triton which needs 4 dosing pumps. I would love to have the DOS doser's, but dang that's an extra 600 dollars. So my question is, has anyone used the Apex with the BRS 1.1ml doser? Or for that matter any other dosing pump or system?

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost decided on buying an Apex Controller but I also want to be able to dose Triton which needs 4 dosing pumps. I would love to have the DOS doser's, but dang that's an extra 600 dollars. So my question is, has anyone used the Apex with the BRS 1.1ml doser? Or for that matter any other dosing pump or system?
Great question. I am wondering the same thing.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do, I run the Apex Classic with 2 BRS dose pumps, no issues at all, sorta - I have to use outlets 4 & 8 on my EB8 in order to get these to work. So - if I understand you will run 4 dose pumps correct, maybe you would need a second EB8? Outlets 4 / 8 have a different type of switch built in to enable the more delicate pumps to turn off/on reliably, my understanding. Attached is my Apex program, there are several ways of programming the dose pumps, mine is pretty simple but effective. I run my Alk in the same manner, my Apex has been up and running for about 2yrs.

Calk.PNG

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it. But you have to be careful. I believe you cannot use it on the TRIAC outlets (1-3,5-7). You can only use it on the mechanical relay outlets, which the EB8 has two of them (4 & 8)

I can't remember all the details but the issue has to do with the sensitivity of the other 6 outlets and the low current of the device, which may cause it to stay on, even when the apex tries to turn it off.

A less elegant solution is to plug a light embedded outlet saver or pigtail into the Triac outlets and then plug your low powered pump, or whatever into those, there is enough power to trigger the device on and off properly.

If you want to use 4 dosers, you can also buy an EB4, which has 4 mechanical relay outlets.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks game43! I have mine on those digital timers. I'm not a good programmer and the apex alludes me, but this should help. Thx again.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, click the drop down arrow to the right where it says "Control type" (see above pic) to the left in order to see the "Advanced setting" which will then give you the open field to type in your program text. There may be some type of text line already in there, maybe , you can delete this and add what I show as a start. My program is simple, I have my Dose amount spread across 24hrs for Alk/Calc thus the numerous time fields that only allow the dose pump to run for 2 or 3 min at a time. Good Luck! ;) :D

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using for years.. apex has code for this but can't think of exact name for it. It looks like this...

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/001:00/059:00 Then ON

This starts the pump every hour on he hour, runs for 1 minute and off for 59.( the rest of hour). you can change to whatever you want but be careful because it's easy to screw up...

Another example..

Fallback OFF
OSC 030:00/001:30/028:30 Then ON

Start on every half hour, run for 1.5 minutes, not the rest of the hour..

Basically, all 3 numbers equal an hour

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the old EB8s, you can run dosers (or other low-power-draw things) on outlets 1-3 and 5-7. Just plug them into one of these kinda things before plugging that into the EB8:
51zZgL3cQuL.jpg

I've run mine that way for several years.

Thanks for this info. I guess I really didn't need to buy my EB4...

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to calibrate your dosers. I recently learned that two my 1.1s are actually running at 1.0, and a third is actually running at .9 .

Chuckstyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't waste a lot of effort calibrating those BRS dosing pumps. Reason being - it's all relative. I use the reeftronics program as well, but in the end, if you have levels going up, dial the rate down, if going down, dial them up.

Those "Clear Lighted End Grounding Adapters", that is an excellent idea. I have 4 coming . . . had to order them. My bad in using Neptune outlet one to dose NoPox. Overnight, it dumped the entire 1 liter bottle into a 126 gallon system. The resulting algae bloom wasn't pretty. Which is what brought me to this topic.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't waste a lot of effort calibrating those BRS dosing pumps. Reason being - it's all relative. I use the reeftronics program as well, but in the end, if you have levels going up, dial the rate down, if going down, dial them up.

Totally agree.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those inexpensive 4 head Chinese dosers for XMas. I'm starting to think I should have asked for more BRS dosers. I think they'll be more reliable in the long run. Despite using check valves, I'm still getting air bubbles in my tubing. I think the cause is the rollers in the cheap heads not completely sealing off the doser's tubing, allowing gravity free to move the fluid downward toward the container housing the liquid being dosed. I've never had bubbles or a siphon issue with my BSRs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back