Apex controller

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, I plan to buy apex controller, but seem like there are 2 packages on brs with $500 and $800. The difference are 2 extra probe, but I wonder do we need that orp and salinity? We can easy to check salinity by refractometer, so I dont think i need that probe. What is your advice??

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would skip the 2 extra probes. Salinity we can check on a regular basis with a refractometer(which really doesn't need to be checked very often) and ORP is pretty useless unless you don't have skimmer or powerheads oxygenating your water.

PiggyPuffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main purpose of my controller (GHL) is to catch disasters so I can be alerted and intervene. I recommend the salinity probe for that reason alone. Just don't use it to mix your saltwater. The ORP probe I installed, but haven't found a use for.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, I plan to buy apex controller, but seem like there are 2 packages on brs with $500 and $800. The difference are 2 extra probe, but I wonder do we need that orp and salinity? We can easy to check salinity by refractometer, so I dont think i need that probe. What is your advice??

Many people can do without those two probes, especially the ORP.
That said, they are both very useful in the right setting.
Salinity probe can help prevent an ATO disaster, ORP can tell you if something suddenly died in your tank.

The other feature that the EL doesn't have is the variable voltage outlets.
These can be used to control some lights (intensity, color) and some DC pumps (flow rate) with more than just simple on/off.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people can do without those two probes, especially the ORP.
That said, they are both very useful in the right setting.
Salinity probe can help prevent an ATO disaster, ORP can tell you if something suddenly died in your tank.

The other feature that the EL doesn't have is the variable voltage outlets.
These can be used to control some lights (intensity, color) and some DC pumps (flow rate) with more than just simple on/off.
@rkpetersen is the expert here and said everything that was needed. I went the full on route because I wanted the VV ports for my lights and Gyre and adding a module to the EL put it in the same price range.

If you ever (and I mean ever down the road) see yourself needing the VV option, get the full size now since it is not clean to add later. I always say 'buy once, cry once'.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need the ec and orp probes for almost all practical purpose. Most modern ato system (like smart ato micro, icecap, tunze osmoloator etc) are more robust than a full blown controller in my opinion. EC probes needs some work on tuning /calibration to make things more undesirable :-/. Most people use the orp probe as validation of things instead of actually using their value to decide on something

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need the ec and orp probes for almost all practical purpose. Most modern ato system (like smart ato micro, icecap, tunze osmoloator etc) are more robust than a full blown controller in my opinion. EC probes needs some work on tuning /calibration to make things more undesirable :-/. Most people use the orp probe as validation of things instead of actually using their value to decide on something
Ya, i just got an apex el from LFS with couple wrasses and the onwer asked me “ Did you win lottery “ lol.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever (and I mean ever down the road) see yourself needing the VV option, get the full size now since it is not clean to add later.

Having the variable outputs in your Apex brain means one less module to add later. :)
Although adding a VDM module later is actually not difficult in my experience.
Just connect it to your Apex with an Aquabus cable, update the module firmware in Fusion, and you've got 2 physical ports and 4 variable output tiles to play with, same as comes with the Apex 2016.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the variable outputs in your Apex brain means one less module to add later. :)
Just connect it to your Apex with an Aquabus cable, update the module firmware in Fusion, and you've got 2 physical ports and 4 variable output tiles to play with, same as comes with the Apex 2016.
Exactly, I was just saying it was less to mess with, not necessarily difficult.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I wonder we really need it when I already have reeflink and gyre controller

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first apex was the lite which I bought over the full unit for mostly the same reasons as articulated above. Of course, I soon decided I needed all the things it lacked, PM2, VDM, PM1 .... should have bought the full unit. When replacement time came, I did.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. I think this is super useful to read and I feel like I share the same concerns as the OP did with regards to the Apex controllers. I am in the process of cycling my IM Nuvo 20gal tank, which I intend on keeping both fish and coral in. I've got an AI Prime LED light that I can control via wifi on a PC or my phone, so I am not sure the Apex is useful for this application. Like @homer1475 mentioned, I've got a refractometer that I do routine salinity checks on, so I am not sure how useful or applicable the probe would be (but I could be totally off-base here!). My stand currently doesn't support a skimmer (although I am considering getting one and putting it in the back of the tank where all the other hardware is) and I'm hooking up my ATO now (waiting for the pump to come in). In the group's opinion, is it worth it for me to drop the $500 on?

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. I think this is super useful to read and I feel like I share the same concerns as the OP did with regards to the Apex controllers. I am in the process of cycling my IM Nuvo 20gal tank, which I intend on keeping both fish and coral in. I've got an AI Prime LED light that I can control via wifi on a PC or my phone, so I am not sure the Apex is useful for this application. Like @homer1475 mentioned, I've got a refractometer that I do routine salinity checks on, so I am not sure how useful or applicable the probe would be (but I could be totally off-base here!). My stand currently doesn't support a skimmer (although I am considering getting one and putting it in the back of the tank where all the other hardware is) and I'm hooking up my ATO now (waiting for the pump to come in). In the group's opinion, is it worth it for me to drop the $500 on?
in my opinion, you don’t need apex for 20 ga. I still having my AIO 20 ga IM 2 years old. I keep mix reef whicj mainly lps. If you consider sps than you may need controller. Otherwise, don’t waste your money with small tank. My tank still work well with no issue in 2 years. Small tank need water change more often to keep coral healthy. That what I did on my tank. My 80ga need apex bc I plan to keep sps.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
in my opinion, you don’t need apex for 20 ga. I still having my AIO 20 ga IM 2 years old. I keep mix reef whicj mainly lps. If you consider sps than you may need controller. Otherwise, don’t waste your money with small tank. My tank still work well with no issue in 2 years. Small tank need water change more often to keep coral healthy. That what I did on my tank. My 80ga need apex bc I plan to keep sps.
Thank you! I was considering SPS, but that would probably be a year out (I have NEVER had luck with them). What about FOWLR? I am getting ready to start setting up a 125gal FOWLR tank. If there's no coral, is it worth it?

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Just get a used Apex 2016 for 500-600$. Or used classic for $260-300.

OP
OP
A

An ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I was considering SPS, but that would probably be a year out (I have NEVER had luck with them). What about FOWLR? I am getting ready to start setting up a 125gal FOWLR tank. If there's no coral, is it worth it?
Lol FOLWL don’t need controller due to the hardness of the fish. If you are a travel guy like me than you may consider it

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a used Apex 2016 for 500-600$. Or used classic for $260-300.
Whoa, the Apex controller I was looking at (although it was just the base) was $400. How is used $500-600? :O
Lol FOLWL don’t need controller due to the hardness of the fish. If you are a travel guy like me than you may consider it
That is good to know, and makes me happy to hear. I don't want to have to fork out an extra $500-1000+ to buy a few controllers. Husband and I don't travel enough to make this worth it.

U

User1

View Badges
The probes are useful because they show trends. That in of itself pays for the additional cost in the long run.

You may only check salinity once a week, maybe only during a water change. The probe is something that will always be sampling which allows you to go back and see what is going on at any time via a quick glance. If your manual check is correct then look at what the apex is and make a mental note of the difference. It should be close. Once that is done you are set and can see any fluctuation and act if need be.

Case in point you may have a ATO that has a 10 gallon storage. Let us say it is stuck and you have a 29 gallon biocube - the potential is there to cause something catastrophic if not caught. The probe in this case would be able to alert you to a sudden swing outside the norm and alert you.

Remember - the probes are there to report and show trends. If you understand this, regardless of controller, you will see they are worth the extra cost and piece of mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back