Apex conversion to GHL

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would I see if I had a profilux and opened the app to see what was going on with my tank or wanted to see what my ph did for the day?

You could see the graph one of two ways:

You could add a tile to your dashboard and add the sensors you want to appear in that tile like below when you open up your dashboard:
441AB4E1-2CE0-4B06-B355-969D074DF074.png

or

You can click on the a sensor on the dashboard For example PH and then choose history.

93F13C50-5D27-46AB-8667-6A0EA4DD4EA2.png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of something that current GHL users know, but Apex users and people looking to purchase a controller may not know. Lets say you Wifi is down, or the Wifi chip went bust, I am sorry to say this, as a lot of Apex users have found out, how can you connect to it and read and change things. With the GHL ProfiLux P4 I have grown to like the fact that you actually have a control panel on the front of the P4. You can monitor it, and make changes, not sure how much yet, but the fact that you still have controllability is truly a plus as you have a LED screen on the P4. Of course you have to have power to the unit as you would a Apex, but if power is not the issue then I give this luxury to GHL. For luxury's and small advantages I give .5 points.

So I guess the score is:

Apex 1 GHL 2.5

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a GHL Doser 2.1 slave Black. Though I will wait until I get the IOND to activate it, I want it setup partially and in the control display beforehand. My control cabinet was shipped, but it may take me a while to set it up as I will have to modify it and I am on call for work next weekend. Good things come to those that are patient. ;)

I am currently doing my own self imposed honey do list. If I can enough of it done today, I will move the GHL to my DT and set up the powerbar that came with the P4 Mega set and the 2nd one I bought tomorrow.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ghl offer a screen similar to apex that will show you all the readings at a quick glance? Will it show it in a graph form like the apex for say ph and temp and kh if you have the director? I’ve been going back and forth between apex and ghl for a couple months, read Dittos conversion to ghl and look forward to yours. Hesitant because 1) I’ve never used a controller and 2) I am not super good on a computer as in coding, which from what I understand both require to an extent. From what I’ve read ghl seems to make a very good product but the software/interface is a turnoff for some. I do like the look of the ghl though, interested to see how your system turns out, thanks for taking the time to give an honest comparison.

GHL has a built in display on the controller itself. They have recently shuttered their remote touchscreen, though just like other controllers you could set a dedicated tablet for the function.

Coding is funky, both have guides that you can google and plug in, but if you are doing something more unique you might need to "phone a friend". As for which would work for you? When and if you plan on going that way, check some build threads and videos to see which works best for you

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got impatient, lol, and installed the GHL onto my DT just now. Initially, I would have to say that the readings on the sensors are roughly the same. I know people have had issues with the Apex salinity probe, and I also did with the first one, I had to do several things before I could even get it to calibrate. The new one I have currently has had no issue, and thus, I can't comment on it either way. I will have to wait on the longevity of the probes to score this one. So it is a wash, at least to me initially.

GHL Salinity 1.0253, Apex 34.8
GHL PH 8.54, Apex 8.58
GHL Temp 77.8, Apex 78.8, neither have been calibrated

Lets wait a few days to see stability.

OHHH, and the probes are right next to each other.

I hope to get the KH Director up and running tomorrow, along with a few other things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is about my tank and the GHL conversion. Hopefully, I will be able to get the KH Director and 2 powerbars set up and working. I am still trying to decide what I will transfer from the 3 EB832 powerbars I have to the 2 GHL powerbars. I may do all the energy hungry items, meaning , return pumps, heaters, and lights, and such. I quickly learned that the one thing you do not have to worry about with GHL is overloading the relays and outlets. With 15 amp relays and outlets, you can almost say they are over built, BUT, as I am upgrading and pushing the limits of my comfortability for the Apex 7 amp relays and outlets, I say bring it on. It is VERY welcome for running 2 return pumps, and 700+ watts of heaters per outlet. ;)

Remember this, because it says it can run 7 amps doesn't mean it should. In reality you should go, NO MORE, than 75 percent of the max. This is coming from a HVACR Tech that has seen what over amping, OR, pushing the limits will do. ;)

You will never be able to say that GHL's equipment is underrated and underbuilt quality wise. If anything they are overbuilt. :)

I AM GOOD WITH THAT!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished installing my KHD and I am currently taking my first reading. I would have to say that it was very simple to set up and get going. The videos pretty much explain it all.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a comparison of the Apex and GHL screen, along with what my current GHL screen looks like.

Screenshot (110).png

Screenshot (111).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start to add the powerbars. I have 2, but will install them one at a time to keep myself from getting confused. The P4 will automatically assign the sockets numbers. I want to make sure I know which sockets are 1-6 and 7-12, and so on. When I added the KHD and Doser it assigned the Doser 1-4 for dosing pumps. So the next Doser 2.1 I will add, which should be here next week will be 5-8. Then when I add the IOND and Doser it will be 9-12.

Here is a video on how to add a PAB Device. Its pretty simple. :cool:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just thought of something, that I am sure other's may have already figured out, but some reefers are making the 4th doser on the KH add salt water back into the tank to counter the test sample. Well, for those that are doing a AWC like myself, you can just add that back into the tank during the AWC. Just add the amount taken to the supply water total for the AWC. Now that opens that 4th doser back up to use it as you see fit. I may use it to dose Tropic Marin Part C, as I plan on doing the hybrid balling method.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I set up the KHD to test 4 times daily, at the exact same time as the Apex Trident. That way I can test them against each other at the same time. The supply lines are also in the exact same spot. May the testing and comparison begin, LOL!!! :eek: :D:eek:

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently having issues with the KHD, I will keep you informed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UMMM, YEA, Having problems with the KHD. I said I would be transparent, and thus, I will. I can't get the KHD to do anything consistently, After I calibrate the PH probe, The KHD will read 1 time, and then the next reading is 0.0 DKH. I have been beating my head over GHL's how how to fix it articles with the same result, 0.0 DKH. I just opened a ticket as I feel the issue may be with the KH unit or the PH probe itself. Lets see how they respond.

As of right now, I have to give Apex a 1, as I personally have had no issues of this scale with Apex.

Apex 2, GHL 2.5

Lets see how GHL responds, as I know the Apex response team is less than perfect, as I dealt with them with my Cor 20's.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start to add the powerbars. I have 2, but will install them one at a time to keep myself from getting confused. The P4 will automatically assign the sockets numbers. I want to make sure I know which sockets are 1-6 and 7-12, and so on.
I have a label maker and added a label 1-6 and 7-12 in the same orientation on my respective powerbars. It really helps later when you forget what is what.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL already has to new PH probe on its way for my KHD, now that is great customer service.

Apex 2, GHL 3

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started to program the outlets on the first powerbar, and after doing a few, I am finding the programming easy so far, and after several more I may find it easier than Apex programming. We are not talking complex Coding yet, just the standard programming of the P4.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the help of @Ditto, I am finding that the programming is actually easy, logic is logic, the main difference between GHL and Apex is how it is named, but it is still Logic either way. Now I have to go back to my Navy days and remember Gates and such, UGH, talk about a migraine, LOL!!! Thankfully GHL is only using 4 gates, On, Off, AND, OR.

I have my first powerbar programmed and I actually plugged in my first piece of equipment, OMG!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back