OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up my 2nd 6E-Powerbar and programming it. After watching a few videos and doing it a few times, it is quickly becoming easy to program. I was able to, and quickly learned how important this was, to come into the controller change with a open mind. I new the GHL will not be the same as a Apex. I expected the programming to be different, and even fell into the constant miss conception that the GHL was harder to program. WELL, let me tell you THAT IS A MYTH. It is no harder than a Apex, its just different. Once you get past that, it actually becomes easy, maybe even easier than a Apex. GHL International has a ton of how to articles and videos pretty much telling you everything you need to know on how to set up every bit of equipment that GHL sells. It also has a ton on info to sell check issues you may have. Plus with great online resources as @Vinny@GHLUSA and @Ditto, you will always have support. Hopefully I will get caught up to speed quick enough and I will gladly help as well.

Here is how my board currently looks:

Screenshot (127).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my heater control and outlet with the help of the video below, again the programming becomes simple with the help of the videos:

I set it up a little different as I am actually using the outlet and temp to control the BRS controller which controls the heaters. I am used to not wanting to switch a relay on a Apex EB832 bar much, as it will eventually fail. The Apex EB832 has a 7amp outlet and relay while a GHL 6E-powerbar has a 15amp outlet and relay. My guess is that a GHL 6E-powerbar will be able to handle the abuse with such heavy relays and outlets, but I am not ready to trust it to that extent just yet, LOL!!! This is the how I set up my Temp probe which control's the heater outlet via the Temp 1 selection when you program the outlet. I raised the Nominal temp a bit and increased the Hysteresis as I want this option to be a back up to the BRS heater controller.

Screenshot (129).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at what I received today.:D;Happy:D

20210630_175721.jpg
16250944799283300707053475987666.jpg

Forget the OBVIOUS surrounding with the chair and such...BUT...doesn't that GHL stack just look sexy to say the least. I can't wait to get the IOND and add it all to the control cabinet. I’ve seen your control station @Vinny@GHLUSA!!! Watch out, mine will look better, and it will likely incorporate some blue LEDS's. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will likely be my next purchase.

Screenshot (135).png

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. One bit of advice is to be really mindful of the ph probe as it is a spot water could leak from. With it stacked this way there is a real danger of it dripping into the doser and frying the electronics (trust me on this one)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. One bit of advice is to be really mindful of the ph probe as it is a spot water could leak from. With it stacked this way there is a real danger of it dripping into the doser and frying the electronics (trust me on this one)
It will be separated in the cabinet. It will be P4/Doser, KH/Doser, ION/Doser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plugged in and added the new Doser 2.1. It was very easy to assign it and set it up. Don't forget to assign the pump numbers to that specific Doser. I already had one installed for my KHD, and that Doser number started at 1, so the one I just installed will start at 5. I will calibrate it next weekend, as I currently don't have any NeoNitro to pump in one of the pumps. I will dose NeoNitro and NeoPhus out of it to help with N03 and P04 issues on my new tank. I will not need precision when dosing the N03 and P04, so I will likely run the pump speed at 2. If you need precision tot he .1 ml, then calibrate and run the pumps at speed 0 or 1, if not then calibrate and run the speed at 2 or 3.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about it, and I will not continue a score on both controllers. It is way to open to interpretation and can be misleading both ways. I will just report my findings and my honest opinion based on having a Apex and converting to a GHL.

I have noticed that the sensors on both the GHL and Apex have been pretty consistent with each other, except the salinity probe...in which we know the Apex salinity probe has always been the cause for many discussions. What I did notice that made GHL stand out over Apex is that they are not effected like the Apex probes. I have seen the salinity probe on my Apex drift down from 35 to 32 ppm and them jump back up, while at the same time I the GHL salinity probe stayed steady at 1.025. For whatever reason, whether is debris or bubbles, does it matter, they are right next to each other in my sump.

I calibrated the Apex probes just before installing the GHL system, which I calibrated as I installed it, to make sure their were no discrepancies, and I also know people will say that I didn't calibrate the Apex sensors. I noticed the GHL sensors are spot on to the Hanna testers and a BRS refractometer that was also calibrated, while the Apex sensors were off a bit.
Screenshot (145).png

Screenshot (146).png

Screenshot (147).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new control cabinet is coming along. It didn't get here until yesterday, UGH!!! I started to build it today. I will have to modify it to make it work, but I already knew that. I will have to install the PowerBar vertically and not horizontally as planned, but that will be different and it will keep the GHL led upright, so it all good. I will continue the build, and hopefully I will start to move things over to it this weekend. The pictures below are still in the beginning stage, but hopefully you will see where I am going with this.

20210705_131245.jpg
20210705_163351.jpg

It didn't help that a few of the pieces were broken and I had to go to Lowes and pick up some wood glue and screws, LOL!!!

The GHL P4, KHD, IOND, and Doser 2.1 will be on the left and the PowerBars on the right along with some Ecotech controllers.

I was wanting to add some led's and a GHL sign, but not sure its possible with the height of the P4, Doser, KHD, and IOND stack and the reagents below. I will try to figure something out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a man of my word. I said I would be honest about the comparison, and I will also be honest about my mistakes as well.

I have been having issues with my KHD. I have no doubt that the first PH probe that was sent with the KHD...purchased from BRS...had a bad PH probe. @Vinny@GHLUSA quickly sent me a second probe. I am seeing that GHL has great customer service, and I hooked it up. Now this is where I will have to eat some CROW. I hooked up the new probe and calibrated it and I saw the same issues as the previous probe. I was like, come on, seriously, two bad PH probes. Myself and Vinny were like, what are the odds. The probes on my P4 are rock solid, to the point that I will not question them. Vinny being the great person he is, sent me out another probe...BUT...I said that I would calibrate it as take a video to show what is happening. I also sent it to @Ditto and he looked at it. He asked me a question, that most people would say, yea, its correct, and not actually look. I looked and that is where I have to eat CROW and I MESSED UP. YES, I have no problem saying I messed up. I will not blame a company or product line because I was to proud. HUMILITY is a great teacher...IF WE ARE WILLING TO LEARN!!! HE asked me to look at where I hooked up the PH probe and when I did, it was like...I DID A STUPID...moment. I had hooked it up to the doser and not the KH. In my defense, lol, I hooked it up at 9 pm, after working a hard 14 hour day in a 72 hour week, but, no excuses, I messed up. I moved the new probe to the correct position and instantly saw a difference in the readings when calibrating. I did have a hard time calibrating, as the readings kept creeping down, I may have to recalibrate it, but the fact that the readings were more in line gave me hope. I am now doing several test with the 7.5 DKH solution to test it. I am now getting a reading on the KHD, so I should be able to give a comparison of the ALK from the KHD vs the Trident.

I didn't pay attention to the one rule I go bye in my occupation, and that's pay attention to the details. I said this before in this thread, and, I didn't do it. So I will say this to everyone, INCLUDING MYSELF, pay attention to detail.

I will also say, don't blast ANY product or company until you FULLY KNOW that it was not your oversite and that the issue was in with the product line. I have seen this way to many times. Most often it is a problem we created and aren't willing to say so. I messed up, and I am not afraid to say it. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting my KHD up and running and running 3 test with the 7.5 DKH Reference Solution, and getting 8,7.9,7.9 DKH, I will calibrate the PH probe again and manually measure the supply line. I had a hard time calibrating the PH probe, once it was working and I corrected my...It didn't happen :rolleyes: ;Facepalm ...MISTAKE, it took a long time to calibrate. I ordered, and received, new 4 and 7 PH reagents, and I just started the process of calibrating it. I can use the adjustment tool to bring it into alignment, but I would rather not at this time. I will try to get it as close as possible before looking to use it.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting my KHD up and running and running 3 test with the 7.5 DKH Reference Solution, and getting 8,7.9,7.9 DKH, I will calibrate the PH probe again and manually measure the supply line. I had a hard time calibrating the PH probe, once it was working and I corrected my...It didn't happen :rolleyes: ;Facepalm ...MISTAKE, it took a long time to calibrate. I ordered, and received, new 4 and 7 PH reagents, and I just started the process of calibrating it. I can use the adjustment tool to bring it into alignment, but I would rather not at this time. I will try to get it as close as possible before looking to use it.

I'll probably never use a KH system, but I appreciate you documenting and sharing your experience. Thank you for the continued updates.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just calibrated the PH probe with the new standards and I measured the actual amount in my supply line. It a bit off, so, if you are running a long supply line from your DT as I am, 7-8ft, then measure it manually. You just need to make sure the line is full...no air bubbles...from the supply to the pump, and then place the end of the line in a cup and then remove the line from the pump and it will feed into the cup. Then dump the cup in a graduated cylinder and measure. I took a guess at the ml in the line going from the pump to the KH and the Doser itself. Originally it had me at 31 ml, I ended up putting in 41 ml manually in the sample tube line section.

Now I am doing a flush, then I will start to test again.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I will calibrate pumps 6 and 7 for the NeoNitro and NeoPhos. I will recalibrate pump 8 for the Tropic Marin Part C again as I didn't like the way it calibrated.

Among other things...LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A side by side screen shot of the GHL and Apex. The GHL screen is really starting to grow on me. I like the fact that I can compare temp, PH, and Salinity over a period of time with just a click. OH Yea...LOOK...my KHD is working great.

Screenshot (150).png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my KHD is rocking and rolling, I will do a 3-4 back to back test to see what the difference is between the KHD and Trident. I will do the test tomorrow. I will also test the readings against a Hanna Alk checker.

I just hooked up and programmed doser 8 for the Tropic Marin Part C. I may calibrate and hook up Dosers 6 and 7, but after just doing my lawn an such, I may hold off until tomorrow. :)

Look for the video on how to program a dosing schedule.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 3rd Powerbar 6e, along with a Propeller Breeze 3-4 fan, and a PLM-4 Level card for the future flow sensors.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back