OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added roughly 100ml of Soda Ash to the tank to raise the Alk level. I then did a test...it was kinda to soon...and I found that the Trident reacted to the change and the KHD did not. The KHD showed 8.1 DKH before and after were the Trident showed 7.89 and 8.25. Interesting wouldn't you say. It may be the way they test, and thus, the delay.

Both, the GHL and Apex PH levels reacted to me adding the soda ash.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, my KHD has been testing for a day or so now, and seems to have settled in. I will have to test the readings against a Hanna checker, but I like what I am seeing so far. I will wait a bit before I do a several back to back test with the KHD and Trident. I will make sure the Trident has new reagents so no one can dispute the findings either way.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next purchase will be a few flow sensors. I can't wait to compare these, as the GHL flow sensors don't have any moving parts, and thus, are no subjected to dirt and algae particle build up. That's one reason I ordered a PLM-4Level card to install. I will eventually have 4 flow sensors and 4 leak detectors. The ProfiLux 4 has 2 Level ports, and with the splitter cables you can have 4. Installing the card will give me 8 ports. ;)

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My next purchase will be a few flow sensors. I can't wait to compare these, as the GHL flow sensors don't have any moving parts, and thus, are no subjected to dirt and algae particle build up. That's one reason I ordered a PLM-4Level card to install. I will eventually have 4 flow sensors and 4 leak detectors. The ProfiLux 4 has 2 Level ports, and with the splitter cables you can have 4. Installing the card will give me 8 ports. ;)
Could you post a picture of the inside of a GHL flow sensor? I'd like to see that there are no moving parts, even though I'm not from Missouri.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a picture of the inside of a GHL flow sensor? I'd like to see that there are no moving parts, even though I'm not from Missouri.
I don't have them yet. I am also curious as to how they measure water movement.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of mine when I was making adapters

Flow 12.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of mine when I was making adapters

Flow 12.jpeg
Interesting to say the least. I am curious as to how GHL measures flow. The fact that their are no moving parts means no issues when cleaning a tank and knocking loose algae and such.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting to say the least. I am curious as to how GHL measures flow. The fact that their are no moving parts means no issues when cleaning a tank and knocking loose algae and such.

I am sure they are vortex flow sensors The water flowing creates a vortex and those vortexes make the sensor tab vibrate the frequency of the vibration is what is measured and converted to flow.

flow-meter-vortex.png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is where I stand in the controller cabinet. I had to build and paint the section on the right. I still have to support it, but do you see where I am going with this and do you know what the holes are for? HMMM!!!

F8902FDE-81B7-482E-AB21-AFCF2278D98D.jpeg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of GHL equipment coming soon. This thread is really helpful. Thank you!
Look at @Ditto change over thread as well, it will help you. Also look at the Controller forum, as I just pinned a thread showing a ton of videos from GHL and @Ditto.

Glad you are along for the GHL ride. :D :cool::)

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at @Ditto change over thread as well, it will help you. Also look at the Controller forum, as I just pinned a thread showing a ton of videos from GHL and @Ditto.

Glad you are along for the GHL ride. :D :cool::)
Will do. I really want to focus on monitoring with my build since I travel frequently. I had intended to use Apex but ultimately I don't like the way the flow sensors were designed. One thing led to the next, and then I started looking at dosers and the KH an ION Directors. Those sealed the deal for me.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually, I will do a 3-4 test back to back comparison test between the GHL KHD and the Apex Trident. I will make sure I will not be dosing anything as it will not give a accurate reading. The Apex Trident reacts far quicker to adjustments than the GHL KHD. This may me a good thing, or it could me a misleading bad thing, I am no scientist and I do not have a controlled environment to do these test in. I am not sure if the quicker reaction is misleading or not, I will not know until Hanna gets back with me on the Hanna issues. I am doing these test, AND, comparing them from a reefers perspective. :)

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in theory it also means less servicing as slime and stuff builds up on an impeller.

Hmmm... it might be interesting to run a closed loop with a ghl and neptune flow sensor on the line to variance over time. Makes me with I had a fish room :D

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in theory it also means less servicing as slime and stuff builds up on an impeller.

Hmmm... it might be interesting to run a closed loop with a ghl and neptune flow sensor on the line to variance over time. Makes me with I had a fish room :D
I will have them side by side on an open loop system.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND I just replaced the Reagent A on my Apex Trident...UGH!!! When its all said an done, I will likely have more than half of the reagent A left when I have to replace them all. Not a very efficient way to test with reagents. I had less than 5 test on my Apex Trident Alk, but 50 on my Cal and Mag. Not 1:1 or 1:2 is it.

As of right now I would have to say this a plus for GHL. I currently do not have my IOND yet, so I do not know how the Reagents A and B are consumed, but the fact that they are separated from the Alk may mean something, and thus the plus for GHL. I hate having to throw away a half bottle of reagent because you need to when you replace all the reagents and calibrate it, meaning the Trident.

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I empty both bottles down on the ION (Reference A & B) a little bit more B like 10ml more when you get down to the bottom of the bottle where I just dump the remaining A and B into the next bottle.

KH solution very little left and also just dump it into the next bottle :)

ION Director testing twice per day, KH Director is testing 4 times a day.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primed the Trident after replacing the reagent A, and I did a test afterward, The GHL came in at 8.0 DKH from 8.1 DKH, the Apex Trident went from 8.79 to 8.22 after the replacement reagent. Remember what I have been saying about the drift of the Trident and the reagant. Below are screen shots to show they were tested at the same time.

Screenshot (158).png

Screenshot (160).png

Now with Apex auto dosing, do you want that inconsistency controlling your dosing?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primed the Trident after replacing the reagent A, and I did a test afterward, The GHL came in at 8.0 DKH from 8.1 DKH, the Apex Trident went from 8.79 to 8.22 after the replacement reagent. Remember what I have been saying about the drift of the Trident and the reagant. Below are screen shots to show they were tested at the same time.

Screenshot (158).png

Screenshot (160).png

Now with Apex auto dosing, do you want that inconsistency controlling your dosing?
This is exactly why I have stopped using trident controlled dosing. It’s a shame it drifts so bad and this is not been addressed by Neptune’s

r21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've switched from Neptune to Apex, overall I'm happy I did. Reasons for switching were around
1. Neptune products in UK - you dont get the same functionality, powerbar being an example
2. Form factor - wanted to be able to stack everything neatly
3. Build quality - Neptune kit does not "feel" anywhere near as well made
4. Reagents - Trident reagent expensive and you are forced to test as per Neptune schedule which in my opinion is very little to do with anything other than sale of reagents. GHL you can set the schedule and KHD reagent is 0.1M HCL which can be bought at a fifth of the cost of official reagent.

Downsides have been
1. KHD was a faff to setup, had to buy digital scales
2. Software interface isnt the greatest mainly as its so Sloooowwwwww!
3.Customer service specifically around the ION release has been appalling, treated like mushrooms comes to mind

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back