Apex conversion to GHL

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw this on the profilux web site :In comparison to ProfiLux 4, ProfiLux 4e has in the basic configuration one switchable pH/ORP input instead of two and no conductivity input, and in addition the less required S ports (digital outputs / connection for classicpowerbars) have been removed. Otherwise ProfiLux 4e is identical to ProfiLux 4.

can I check what are the users of the digital outputs ?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been on the fence to change from apex to ghl but not sure which one to choose p4 or p4e .

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think any Jinx is available in this situation, as, their are way to many things going on right now. As far as release dates in the past few years, WHO HAS, been accurate...HMMM!!! The only difference between the others releases and the GHL IOND was the fact that GHL actually had to deal with the Covid outbreak. Neptune and Trident didn't and they failed miserably, and that's putting it mildly. They are only NOW catching up...ROUGHLY 2 plus years after the initial release...HMMM!!!

I WILL ASK GHL TO BE BETTER!!!
O don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing on GHL. Far from it. They've got my business for life. When I said let's hope we don't jynx the release date, I mean just that because I badly want the new maxi dosers.
Personally, my 300 gallon just crashed. Significant damage all throughout my two living rooms. Not worried. It's all currently getting repaired. All of my equipment is getting replaced by my insurance company. I will actually have a little bit extra to spend. I've currently got a $6k cart put together with bulkreefsupply, full of GHL products. I'm a GHL fan and it will stay that way.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing on GHL. Far from it. They've got my business for life. When I said let's hope we don't jynx the release date, I mean just that because I badly want the new maxi dosers.
Personally, my 300 gallon just crashed. Significant damage all throughout my two living rooms. Not worried. It's all currently getting repaired. All of my equipment is getting replaced by my insurance company. I will actually have a little bit extra to spend. I've currently got a $6k cart put together with bulkreefsupply, full of GHL products. I'm a GHL fan and it will stay that way.
Now you just need a Black Friday sale, LOL!!!

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not order directly from GHL? No tax and free shipping on an order that large.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does GHL normally have a Black Friday sale on their website? I know the other major retailers have big Black Friday sales on MAP items just not sure about through GHL directly.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does GHL normally have a Black Friday sale on their website? I know the other major retailers have big Black Friday sales on MAP items just not sure about through GHL directly.
Actually, I am not sure if GHL has one on their website, BUT, I do know that BRS did.

Auburn, YOU are only 2 hours South of me...LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to order a Expansion Box 2 for my mixing station. I need it for my mixing station which is a floor down and roughly 40-50ft over. I need to install a Conductivity and Temp probe. Price wise, its not a whole lot more than when I added a Apex PM2 and sensors. The difference is that I will not need to add any more modules to add onto it. I have enough Level sensor outlets to add leak sensors in case I fall asleep and forget to turn off my RO/DI system...NOT LIKE I DID THAT THIS PAST TUESDAY...:rolleyes:...I am just trying to help in case you do fall asleep.;Facepalm;Hilarious

I would have to add a FMM module and leak sensors to do the same for Apex, you can minus the leak sensors and I will have to do the same for the GHL, but, I will not need to add a second module, aka FMM module, to add the leak sensors as the Expansion Box 2 has 2 Level sensor outputs.

PLUS...If I need to add more sensors and expansion cards down the road for a possible Frag tank, this will make it easier.;)

Last edited:

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am about to order a Expansion Box 2 for my mixing station. I need it for my mixing station which is a floor down and roughly 40-50ft over. I need to install a Conductivity and Temp probe. Price wise, its not a whole lot more than when I added a Apex PM2 and sensors. The difference is that I will not need to add any more modules to add onto it. I have enough Level sensor outlets to add leak sensors in case I fall asleep and forget to turn off my RO/DI system...NOT LIKE I DID THAT THIS PAST TUESDAY...:rolleyes:...I am just trying to help in case you do fall asleep.;Facepalm;Hilarious

I would have to add a FMM module and leak sensors to do the same for Apex, you can minus the leak sensors and I will have to do the same for the GHL, but, I will not need to add a second module, aka FMM module, to add the leak sensors as the Expansion Box 2 has 2 Level sensor outputs.

PLUS...If I need to add more sensors and expansion cards down the road for a possible Frag tank, this will make it easier.;)
I can't wait to see you document this specific process. This here I want to replicate.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Do you think the GHL conductivity probe is accurate enough to determine the salinity or do you plan to check with refractometer or other method once the conductivity probe is close?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think the GHL conductivity probe is accurate enough to determine the salinity or do you plan to check with refractometer or other method once the conductivity probe is close?
I check all against a Refractometer. I mainly use the salinity probe to tell me if I have any evaporation issues in my tank or mixing tank. I say that as I do a AWC in my DT, along with the ATO. I usually have no issue. On my mixing tank, I have noticed, since its closed, that I do not experience the same issue with evaporation, thus, just a guideline to see what my mixing tank salinity is at for the AWC. It lets me know if I need to address something, thus, a piece of mind. I have not calibrated my salinity probes recently, but, both are within a few months of installation. Neither is more than 5 months from calibration, more like 4. On my DT, the GHL salinity probe is at 1.0245, while my Apex salinity probe is at 35.8, which equals 1.027. I used a calibrated refractometer and it was at 1.025.

I have used 3 Apex salinity probes so far, and, only one has been close on installation. I need more GHL salinity probes to compare, but, the first probe was spot on. I will know more when I have a more data, 1 GHL probe vs 3 Apex probes is not a far comparison.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to calibrate my GHL temp sensor and Apex temp sensor. I calibrated the Apex temp sensor in 2.5 seconds, GHL, not so quickly. My GHL temp sensor was off my -.4 degrees while the Apex sensor was off by +1.0 degrees. I easily calibrated the Apex sensor, while I still am trying to figure out how to calibrate the GHL temp sensor...HMMM!!!

So far I am finding the coding of Apex and the lingo far easier than GHL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO FAR...GHL for the win when quality comes into play. When ease of USE comes into play, Neptune takes the win.

SORRY, that's just the way I see it so far.

REMEMBER, this is a HONEST comparison coming from a normal reefer like most of you. :)

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to calibrate my GHL temp sensor and Apex temp sensor. I calibrated the Apex temp sensor in 2.5 seconds, GHL, not so quickly. My GHL temp sensor was off my -.4 degrees while the Apex sensor was off by +1.0 degrees. I easily calibrated the Apex sensor, while I still am trying to figure out how to calibrate the GHL temp sensor...HMMM!!!

So far I am finding the coding of Apex and the lingo far easier than GHL.
I've never used it, but is it the Adjust Temperature?

Screenshot_20210918-201005_GHL Connect.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that is a calibration adjustment for the actual temp probe. I was told that it was not necessary as it’s a digital probe. I will look into that though.

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill: did the same as you for my mixing station. Expansion box and the probs as per Vinny’s suggestion. Just filled my new tank this week. Haven’t starting setting up the GHL gear yet. Will let you know how it goes (or if you’re done first you can let me know!)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back