Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bow thank you GIF by Alan Walker
I feel what both of you are saying, maybe sometime I will do that comparison someday, when I win the lottery, LOL!!!

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more accurate than the Apex sensor, I am just trying to see how much more. That's what I am trying to see. It will take some time as they degrade over time.
Yeah, i guess it has some utility like an overflowing ATO, but anything that test salinity for me that isnt accurate is almost useless (and dangerous for sensitive corals).

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel what both of you are saying, maybe sometime I will do that comparison someday, when I win the lottery, LOL!!!

I may or may not have forgotten I posted here regarding hydros compared to apex and ghl.

thus, I answered a question with no greater intention than to say “nope. Oh they have this now” lol

Then I posted a gif of apology for derailing. Sorry again Bill

that’s all.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may or may not have forgotten I posted here regarding hydros compared to apex and ghl.

thus, I answered a question with no greater intention than to say “nope. Oh they have this now” lol

Then I posted a gif of apology for derailing. Sorry again Bill

that’s all.
Your all good reefing brother. I would like to do a comparison between GHL and Hydros as I feel they are two best out there. Both are great at a different price point.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your all good reefing brother. I would like to do a comparison between GHL and Hydros as I feel they are two best out there. Both are great at a different price point.

ill be documenting my experience in the coming months so feel to draw on my anecdotal data!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am disappointed in GHL is the size of the 2377 GPH Flow meter and unions. They size them at 3/4 in, that is to small. IT should be at least 1 in. How many pumps have the horsepower to actually push 2377 thru a 3/4 in hole. I will have to step down my return plumbing from 1.25 to .75 to make it work, thus, more head pressure on a pump. The Apex flow meter does the same, but, they do have a massive 2 in option, but the weight of that flow meter...UGH!!! I feel they both have some redesigning to do on their flow meter diameters and options. I am going with GHL flow meters on my return rebuild because I like their method of reading flow vs. Apex. I have seen my Apex flow meters steadily decline, flow wise. Is it the meter or the return pump, after 6-7 months? Impellers get dirty as do the pumps, SO, which one is it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am disappointed in GHL is the size of the 2377 GPH Flow meter and unions. They size them at 3/4 in, that is to small. IT should be at least 1 in. How many pumps have the horsepower to actually push 2377 thru a 3/4 in hole. I will have to step down my return plumbing from 1.25 to .75 to make it work, thus, more head pressure on a pump. The Apex flow meter does the same, but, they do have a massive 2 in option, but the weight of that flow meter...UGH!!! I feel they both have some redesigning to do on their flow meter diameters and options. I am going with GHL flow meters on my return rebuild because I like their method of reading flow vs. Apex. I have seen my Apex flow meters steadily decline, flow wise. Is it the meter or the return pump, after 6-7 months? Impellers get dirty as do the pumps, SO, which one is it.

I agree. The short run of 3/4 " tubing shouldnt add all that much restriction though, if that helps.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The short run of 3/4 " tubing shouldnt add all that much restriction though, if that helps.
Apex says 5 in, GHL doesn't say, but, they both said to keep it as far away from a 90 as possible.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex says 5 in, GHL doesn't say, but, they both said to keep it as far away from a 90 as possible.
Sure. Id say if you have say 6 feet of total return plumbing from pump to tank and 4 1/2 feet is 1 inch and 1 and 1/2 feet is a straight 3/4 inch run with flow meter (6 inches on either side of flow meter) that would work just fine and since the vast majority of the plumbing is 1 inch diameter-- flow will still be close to what it would be without the reduction section..

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Id say if you have say 6 feet of total return plumbing from pump to tank and 4 1/2 feet is 1 inch and 1 and 1/2 feet is a straight 3/4 inch run with flow meter (6 inches on either side of flow meter) that would work just fine and since the vast majority of the plumbing is 1 inch diameter-- flow will still be close to what it would be without the reduction section..
I agree, but, I still ordered new bulkheads and such to reinstall my return lock lines and such. I am trying to keep the reduction a little as possible. I will run 1.25 as long as possible.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 1.5 inch plumbing will definately increase flow!
1.25 will increase flow, but, its not about increasing overall flow, as the new return will be totally different. Its about the flow meters.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.25 will increase flow, but, its not about increasing overall flow, as the new return will be totally different. Its about the flow meters.
I agree they should offer flow meters in a variety of plumbing sizes. But the 3/4 works and if they can spend their time improving the app and software instead of new flow meters--or anything else or new--i sure would appreciate it... kinda on the brink of ditching ghl because of the usablity issue.

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered putting the flow meter on a 3/4" line in parallel with the main line?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered putting the flow meter on a 3/4" line in parallel with the main line?
@Billdg What again are you measuring flow for?

I ran my flow meter parallel to my return on the 50 gallon so i could measure flow through UV and chiller... Didn't really care about overall flow to tank, gate valves allow adjustment of flow directly to tank, or through parallel line i wanted to measure.

1637617035595.png

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex flow meter are 5 in from the slip 90's. It is what Apex recommended. I have not ordered, let alone installed the GHL flow meters yet. I am going off of my UV reactor flow readings which is using a GHL flow sensor. I like what it is showing me over the Apex flow meters.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just have to say this as I see that BOTH GHL and APEX have their pluses and minus's. I have learned that both have they upsides, and, it causes us to lean towards one side. I still hate the GHL connectivity, I constantly have to close the app and reopen it to get it to connect. I never had that issue with Apex. I also have nothing but issues with the Apex flow meters, a little bit of algae will effect them. I also have a major issue with the Apex Ghost coding. It may be what caused my ATK to be totally worthless and a waste of money. I am still leaning towards the GHL because of the flow meters and the IOND. I am still not sure how accurate the Trident is as well.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on an Android or Apple device?
I have both, though I monitor the GHL on my Android. Not sure how how that applies to my last post though.

Apex is Apple driven, and yet, I have no issue connecting to my Apex with my Apple work phone and my Samsung S20+.

I also have no issue connecting with my Windows based desktop to my Apple based Apex system. I constantly have to close the MyGHL browser and reconnect to get it to work.

Last edited:
Back