Apex delay setting

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your power is turned back on to your Tunze after the defer does it pump water into your tank as the tunze boots up? I understand the programming. My question is to how to prevent the ATO from dumping water into the tank as the unit boots up. I feed several times a day. If I turn off the ATO with each feed then the ATO will dump water into the tank each time it boots up

Sorry I am confused.
Oh, I gotcha now. My apologies for not understanding. Yes, my Tunze always pumps water into the tank... The only way I know how to stop it is to not use the Defer command at all, let the float switch get flooded and let the alarm go off. It will only last for the time it takes to fill the sump, then when the float switch goes to normal and the optical sensor can see if water is needed, then it will add water.

I get your frustration, for some reason the Tunze ATO controllers are programmed to dump water in when turned back on, THEN sense whether it's needed. I get so frustrated by that sometimes, because it just dumps water, then my float switch goes off, the beeping noise starts and I manually turn it off. I know there is a way to disable the high alarm, but I don't want to, even though I have two other floats on the sump to measure hi/lo and a third at the very top of the sump in case something really weird happens... thinking of getting a new ATO controller next time I need one....

I am going to just keep my ATO on while feeding to avoid the issue. Great point @recess62

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! Guess I will have to aggravate @Bob Escher too!!!;)
When are ya getting your Apex @helen ann ? You can control both of your tanks with one unit to keep cost down, but two isn't bad. I use two for both of my tanks and prefer to do it that way as opposed to one controlling two tanks. You have to be really diligent with naming and referencing names. When you get ready to set it up, give me a shout. Or anyone else here, neptune forums are best though.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to pay attention to @Bob Escher and @Salty1962 's programming, esp. the Defer statement. That will keep your Tunze from turning back on for the time specified.
Here is my Tunze ATO programming:

If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF
If Outlet Vectra = OFF Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 015 Then OFF
If FeedC 030 Then OFF
If FeedD 045 Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON

Translating:
If I flip the outlet "Maint" On, then the Tunze turns off.
If my return pump is off, aka: If Outlet "Vectra" Off, then the Tunze turns off. If for some reason the return pump isn't on, I don't want that stupid beeping noise, so I turn it off.
The Feed times are already explained, and that is always just a personal decision based on who and what you are feeding.
Then Defer keeps is Off for 10 minutes, then allows it to go the On position. This doesn't mean that Apex will turn my Tunze On, it just means that it is allowed to be turned On. E.g., if I manually set the Tunze to Off instead of Auto, it will not turn back on.
Another example, if I have a program running somewhere else, let's say a Virtual Outlet to look at pH, since I use Kalk in my ATO, and the pH is already above my cutoff, I don't want the Tunze ATO to come on, so in this case as well, the programming I show above, even with the Defer for 10 minutes, will not turn my Tunze outlet back on, since the pH outlet is showing high.

Does that make sense @recess62 ? I think @jsker has it, but if there are any questions, keep posting. Bob and Salty are giving perfect instructions, just look at their programming.
I thought he wanted a delay in his programming. I must have misunderstood:confused:

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to pay attention to @Bob Escher and @Salty1962 's programming, esp. the Defer statement. That will keep your Tunze from turning back on for the time specified.
Here is my Tunze ATO programming:

If Outlet Maint = ON Then OFF
If Outlet Vectra = OFF Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF
If FeedB 015 Then OFF
If FeedC 030 Then OFF
If FeedD 045 Then OFF
Defer 010:00 Then ON

Translating:
If I flip the outlet "Maint" On, then the Tunze turns off.
If my return pump is off, aka: If Outlet "Vectra" Off, then the Tunze turns off. If for some reason the return pump isn't on, I don't want that stupid beeping noise, so I turn it off.
The Feed times are already explained, and that is always just a personal decision based on who and what you are feeding.
Then Defer keeps is Off for 10 minutes, then allows it to go the On position. This doesn't mean that Apex will turn my Tunze On, it just means that it is allowed to be turned On. E.g., if I manually set the Tunze to Off instead of Auto, it will not turn back on.
Another example, if I have a program running somewhere else, let's say a Virtual Outlet to look at pH, since I use Kalk in my ATO, and the pH is already above my cutoff, I don't want the Tunze ATO to come on, so in this case as well, the programming I show above, even with the Defer for 10 minutes, will not turn my Tunze outlet back on, since the pH outlet is showing high.

Does that make sense @recess62 ? I think @jsker has it, but if there are any questions, keep posting. Bob and Salty are giving perfect instructions, just look at their programming.

Thank you for explaining the "defer" statement, and also explaining why:)

I also want to tank @Bob Escher and @Salty1962 for helping with different code options, and also now having @helen ann stalking you for Apex settings ;):eek::D

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought he wanted a delay in his programming. I must have misunderstood:confused:

I have a auto aqua ATO and yes I wanted to delay the ATO pump when I am in maintenance mode of C and D. I did program the C D with the delay statement and every thing works. My next question is; and this is were the defer statement come in? When I cancel C and D before C and D time out is there a way to still keep the ATO off?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back