Apex Display

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering buying the $45 Amazon fire HD 8 tablet to try to use as a display for my apex. I've seen mixed opinions online about whether it will work or not. Does anyone know if I could use it as a display for the apex?

I'm willing to side load apps to get it working if need be.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use it with Apex Fusion. Couple threads about that and I believe they even made a specific video about that fire 8.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why you just don't use Apex on your phone?

My phone is always with me and if I get a thought I should check my system (no matter where I am, I could be sitting on the toilet in Walmart, lololol).... I just pull out my phone

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why you just don't use Apex on your phone?

My phone is always with me and if I get a thought I should check my system (no matter where I am, I could be sitting on the toilet in Walmart, lololol).... I just pull out my phone
I use it on my phone as well but I want to permanently attach the screen to my stand just as a visual of parameters as I walk by my tank. I will look at it more often than I would check it on my phone.

Plus it's a way to make my setup look more "techie" for less than $50 LOL.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it on my phone as well but I want to permanently attach the screen to my stand just as a visual of parameters as I walk by my tank. I will look at it more often than I would check it on my phone.

Sweet. Good idea

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wife gets free iPads as promotional products or to take surveys. I wish I was kidding. “Here’s a free iPad just fill out the survey on it, submit it, then keep the iPad.

I have circled back several times to using an arm or wall mount to do what you’re thinking about doing but it really would just be because it looks cool. As others have stated, I always have my phone on me or next to me.

It would look cool so I say go for it!

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the Amazon device will give you the ability to use Alexa to control your Apex. I'm not 100% if the $50 device you're looking at supports hands-free, but I'm pretty sure it does. Here's what the amazon site says -

Note: Alexa hands-free is supported on:

• Fire HD 10 (7th Generation)
  • Fire HD 8 (8th Generation)
  • Fire 7 (9th Generation)
  • Fire HD 10 (9th Generation)
  • Fire HD 8 (10th Generation)
  • Fire HD 8 Plus (10th Generation)
  • Fire HD 10 (11th Generation)
My Ecobee thermostats are Alexa enabled. Seems strange telling my thermostat to feed the fish but i do love it.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheHarold I just realized the video you linked was the video where they said that the fire tablets weren't ideal. I forgot that the reason was because it only displays 2 columns now instead of 3.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the Amazon device will give you the ability to use Alexa to control your Apex. I'm not 100% if the $50 device you're looking at supports hands-free, but I'm pretty sure it does. Here's what the amazon site says -

An added perk that I didn't realize. Although I only have one Alexa device in my house. I've bought into the Google home ecosystem.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife gets free iPads as promotional products or to take surveys. I wish I was kidding. “Here’s a free iPad just fill out the survey on it, submit it, then keep the iPad.

I have circled back several times to using an arm or wall mount to do what you’re thinking about doing but it really would just be because it looks cool. As others have stated, I always have my phone on me or next to me.

It would look cool so I say go for it!
Yep that basically my reasoning. I'd prefer to use an iPad or Samsung tablet but not enough to buy a dedicated expensive tablet for it.

I want it to look cool....but I'm also very cheap.

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An added perk that I didn't realize. Although I only have one Alexa device in my house. I've bought into the Google home ecosystem.
I'm heavily invested in Nest, Smartthings and Hue. In fact, the thermostats are the only two Alexa devices in my home ; however, without the t-stats I would purchase a single device simply for that function.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm heavily invested in Nest, Smartthings and Hue. In fact, the thermostats are the only two Alexa devices in my home ; however, without the t-stats I would purchase a single device simply for that function.
My only Alexa device is a satellite for my mesh router, it was cheaper for the one that had Alexa built in. Ironically it is at least in the same room as the aquarium.

I've considered switching to Alexa because overall I'm not real happy with Google home.

Last edited:

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Ecobee thermostats are Alexa enabled. Seems strange telling my thermostat to feed the fish but i do love it.
I have Alexa everywhere. Thermostats, door locks, tv’s, fans, curtains, blinds, all my lights, security system and cameras, etc. I wouldn’t trust her with my fish tank. It’s still too buggy.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that basically my reasoning. I'd prefer to use an iPad or Samsung tablet but not enough to buy a dedicated expensive tablet for it.

I want it to look cool....but I'm also very cheap.
Well, you have convinced me to get off my butt and go for it. I took advantage of prime day and ordered a wall mount and some stuff for an iPad. I’m now in $50 (but I admit I ordered 2 different 90 deg power cords and a baby-proof outlet box). I also loaded the Apex/Mobius/Hydros app on the tablet and the interface is actually better on the iPad with the 3 columns.

Cheap, easy, and cool looking are the holy trinity.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol...that is the ONLY reason I switched from Google Home to Amazon Alexa...I saw that I could ask Alexa to give me an update or stats as well as feed the fish, turn off the skimmer, main pump, aquarium fans, etc....lol... ((Yeah I am lazy, deal with it)...lol

Durhamreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Alexa everywhere. Thermostats, door locks, tv’s, fans, curtains, blinds, all my lights, security system and cameras, etc. I wouldn’t trust her with my fish tank. It’s still too buggy.
Trust her with it? Seems you're already putting a lot of trust in Alexa with the security of your home. I'm simply issuing commands that are executed in my presence. I've not experienced a single issue. I have ultimate control over what happens in my tank, not Alexa.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did this with an old iPod Touch powered by a magnetic quick release cable so I could grab it if my phone wasn’t readily available. So a tablet would be better. I just don’t have any laying around that aren’t in use (yet!).

Between the iPod for a quick status check at the tank and Alexa voice commands, it’s a pretty useful setup. I mainly use Alexa to start feed cycles and log measurements I do manually to compare against Trident or those not covered.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust her with it? Seems you're already putting a lot of trust in Alexa with the security of your home. I'm simply issuing commands that are executed in my presence. I've not experienced a single issue. I have ultimate control over what happens in my tank, not Alexa.
Listen in on my conversations? Go ahead. Know my purchase habits and use them against me? Fine. Mis-hear my 2 year old and turn my return pump off? That’s a no for me!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back