Apex DOS DIY level switch?

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, but it is not entirely accurate. For example, with my refrigerated mysis dosing, I back flush the tubing with DOS (it runs backward), but the volume tracking doesn't add that volume back into the container volume. So it thinks the container is emptying very fast and that is what the graphic shows. The sensor lets you know if the container is actually empty.

Also, you can program things based on the sensor (e.g. if empty, set email alarm or turn off DOS, etc.), but you can't refer to the volume in the container in the Apex code.

Lastly, the sensors can be used anywhere in your setup (e.g. ATO, sump overflow sensor, etc) and don't have to be tied into the DOS function even though they are using the port on the DOS. They basically provide two sensor ports as you would find on an FMM.

Interesting. That makes a lot of sense.

I've been using the Neptune magnetic optical sensor for my ATO reservoir, mixing station, etc, but I have no issue with submerging those.

The 5 liter Red Sea containers I dose out of have a "window", so I just visually take a peek at them on a regular basis to make sure they're on track with the "fake DDR" level reading.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread. It's been great.

I'm going to set up the DDR volume tile on my Apex without the level sensors.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not well versed in electronics. Couldn't I just use a 150 ohm resistor covered in shrink wrap to protect the wires except for 1/2" on each end and then insert those ends into the 4 and 6 pin sockets/ports rather than buying a cable and cutting it and discarding the ends?

Molex connector with sockets:

Resistor:

Last edited:

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why my links aren't showing up, I've tried twice. If you search on Amazon for Molex Micro-Fit 3.0 Dual Row (6 circuits) you'll find it, or product B078Q5NL8H. Resistor is 150 ohm 1/4W 5%, product B00CVZ3WXE.

e-sully

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can really just use a jumper wire. You don't even need the resister. Many have done it without using one.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've seen that. But I've also noted that many folks (who I assume are more knowlegeable than I) have recommended the resistor for safety and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back