Apex DOS DIY level switch?

Sertan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You *should* use a resistor to activate the container but if you don’t, that’s on you. Will probably be fine, but not with ruining an expensive doser just for containers in fusion over a .25 cent part
So even with optical sensors i still need to place resistor between pin 4 and 6? Or is that just to show containers? As in if i wire sensors no resistor required between pin 4 and 6?

Jeremy King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My optical sensor to APEX IO port adapter board design is now shared. You can buy the PCB at the following link along with the list of items needed to populate it. I am sharing this as long as no one turns around and sells these. If anyone tries to make profit off my design I will pull it.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/fFObnaoD
I ordered 3 of these boards (they come in 3's for about $23), and bought parts for 6, since buying parts for 1 or 3 was more expensive :)

@CuseReefer, the current design is set up for 5 volts. What changes would I need to run it off a 24v port out of a EB832? A number of the optical sensors I see say they run from 5v to 24v, but I'm wondering if different resisters would make the sensors more reliable or make them last longer.

I'm hoping to use a 1Link cable (like this: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/2451350220/molex ) to provide power and make the board (in a box) connect with 2 simple cables. That means I still need a panel mount 2-pin molex connector. I'm thinking this: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/0039012026/molex with one of these https://www.arrow.com/en/products/79758-0005/molex , cut in half and soldered to that board where the 5v connected should go.

@CuseReefer, if your board would take one of these: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/0026013114/molex that would be great, too. But I don't know which of those pins in the 1Link cable are + and -, and that connected probably wouldn't fit the current holes

Last edited:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok guys, help me out here! I just hooked up a DOS. I was thinking of just enabling the SW aspect so i can monitor my levels on fusion. But now rereading through all this im a bit confused. If i go the dual sensor route like the one sold on ebay i dont need to use the sensors for the DOS monitoring right? I can program them to work just like any optical sensor on the FMM? So i can add them and track my dosing with the SW but use the two sensors in say my sump as failsafe switches if my ATO gets stuck on or my return pump shuts off right? Or even stick one in my ATO container to warn me when its low? If so, thats awesome, thats basically using your DOS as a FMM with two sensors right? I guess i just thought that because the sensors are plugged into the DDR port on the DOS that you can only use them for the DOS to warm you when the levels are low...

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sensors will monitor whatever fluid you put it in such as your ATO

Benibarra23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone figured out how to trick the Apex into thinking you have additional dosers like the BRS one? My thought is you have one DOS then get 2 of the BRS dosing pumps and trick the Apex into thinking you have an additional DOS. Thinking out loud here so bear with me. lol

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone figured out how to trick the Apex into thinking you have additional dosers like the BRS one? My thought is you have one DOS then get 2 of the BRS dosing pumps and trick the Apex into thinking you have an additional DOS. Thinking out loud here so bear with me. lol

I would think if you put the “jumper” on the second DOS, it should show up the fluid levels.

Marcsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had trouble with their optical switch wiring not working as described in this thread? I wired my two optical switches to a single 6 pin mini-molex, just as shown but it won't show up in Fusion. I checked all my connections with a multi-meter for correct voltage & resistance according to the 5V DC drawing of the switches & I even tested the switches functionality with my Arduino board, all is good there . As a test I did jump the DOS pins 4&6 with a 180 Ohm resistor and it did trigger the Fusion graphic. So right now I'm stumped as to why my wiring connection isn't working. All the info on this thread made it seem like a simple set up

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So help me out here, I’m slow.....

I have 3 x dos

All of them I want to have the fantom DDR so I need 3 of the 6pin Molex connectors so I can order 1 of these which gives me 3 connectors:

COMeap (3-Pack) 6 Pin PCI Express to 2X Molex LP4 Power Cable 6-inch(15.5cm) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M348RBC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_c2faDbHE5G0C8

(I’ve seen the 6 pin to 6 pin that was posted also but shipping killed the deal for me)

For two of the dos’ I simply cut this cable and then each one will have cables 4&6 soldered together. Or a 160ohm resistor.

For the 3rd dos I’ll connect a couple optical sensors I got on ebay to the 6 pin adapter.

This will give me all the fantom ddr containers and 2 optical sensors for monitoring my ato.

That about right?

Last edited:

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had trouble with their optical switch wiring not working as described in this thread? I wired my two optical switches to a single 6 pin mini-molex, just as shown but it won't show up in Fusion. I checked all my connections with a multi-meter for correct voltage & resistance according to the 5V DC drawing of the switches & I even tested the switches functionality with my Arduino board, all is good there . As a test I did jump the DOS pins 4&6 with a 180 Ohm resistor and it did trigger the Fusion graphic. So right now I'm stumped as to why my wiring connection isn't working. All the info on this thread made it seem like a simple set up

Happened to me but, check to ensure the molex is pushed all the way in when plugging it in.

Aquarimatt5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could this be adapted to the newer non contact liquid sensors? they are 5v-24 v. but what i cant find info on is the NPN sensor type?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could make it work with these;
https://www.robotshop.com/en/gravity-non-contact-liquid-level-sensor.html
There are other identical looking sensors sold without the little board.

ARRRGH!

I've currently got four different BOBs, and five different level sensors! This new sensor will certainly muddy the waters for us Apex users!

That said, THANK YOU! It sure would be nice to have a functional switch that didn't touch the water! I spoke with Terrence this past weekend at Reef-a-Palooza about V2 of their Oprical switch. The Apex party line is apparently "salt water will damage anything". I really hope to see this sensor develop further!

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd characterize these before use. The sensor will lose any sensitivity adjustment after a power cycle. You need to understand it's behavior.
What happens when powered on with high water and low water levels. Repeatability of passing through the threshold both directions. One of the users on the robotshop indicated that it quit working after a while. They are a $10 sensor.
I'd like to thank @CuseReefer for publishing the board files.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the xkc-y25-npn sensors off of amazon. I did a quick test and they work pretty well. These are 4 wires but the "M" functionality is unknown make these effectively 3 wire. I suspect that "M" is sensitivity.
I'm still designing and printing out enclosures so I have not used them yet. Since I don't trust them I am going to mount 2 sensors for redundancy.
I decided to use 3.5mm audio jacks to make it easy to disconnect the sensor.
On the BoB board, I replaced the 390 resistors with a wire, should be a fuse. Theses sensors are open-drain and need a pullup so I installed the 6.8k resistors. I'm going to wire-OR the outputs from both sensors and use one switch input.

Aquarimatt5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No schematic was provided. I drew this up using the gerber files.

Attachments

• bob.pdf
    90.8 KB · Views: 274

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back