Apex DOS DIY level switch?

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuse. Thanks for sharing and starting this thread way back then.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 150ohm. You don't _need_ it to work, but if you want to follow what triggers it when the DDR is plugged in, you need around 150 ohms. Something like this

HelstonReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of trying to work this out for my system. I have the neptune optical sensors and thanks to CuseReefers, i am i the process of trying to connect them to up.

Assuming they are the same as the diagram CuseReefer posted, i should be able to figure out the pins with a multi meter.

Give me a bit and i will post the results.

And CuseReefer, thanks for figuring out the basics, i searched everywhere for what you figured out. Was about to break open a dos to look at the boards.
I went back and checked the wiring that worked for me. I wanted to make sure that i didnt mess something up when translating the cable colors from my test rig.

I am able to get the optical sensors to open and close (apex.local is faster for testing than fusion by the way) using the following:

Pin one (closest to base of plug) Red
Pin two Blue
Pin three Yellow
Pin four White

I have included the below from my notebook to clear up any confusion on which pin was 1.

image.jpg

The part that worries me the most, is fear that different optical sensors might have different color wires.

I tried to figure out a way to test them but havnt figured out a good way yet.

If i contect up a multi-meter in diod mode with positive to blue, and common to red, I read 1.033 ohms. (Referse i read as open). I used this and reefers doc to figure out the blue and the red. But for the yellow and white, i couldn’t come up woth a good test, and ended up having to go with trial and error.

The while process was confusing because my plugs wouldnt sit all the way down, amd would connect to different ports. Ended up taking the face plate off and testing connectivity to the board.

Many thanks for this info, much appreciated.

I can confirm that its correct and worked very well with the FMM and third party Optical Sensors, on eBay.

Total cost for Two Optical Sensors (£6.-) and a couple of gold plated Jack Plugs (£5.-) with good quality cable etc. Under £13.- for two (WOW!)

Does anyone know where to get the Mag Mounts that Neptune use?

Again, many thanks

HelstonReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HelstonReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Magnets are ideal. Thanks for the advice.

They appear to be the same or very similar to those Neptune use. If not the same, one could be excused for confusing them. Only difference is, the pack comes with a number of screw-in clips of varying sizes to facilitate probably most things one would attach within a tank or sump. A little pricy but good. Recommended

Sertan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys i do apologize i think im the only one who didn't get this.

what does this mean that i have highlighted in red?

Pin 1 - +5V Supply
Pin 2 - 560 Ohm pullup to +5V (Switch 2 LED driver source)
Pin 3 - 4.7K Ohm pulldown to GND (Switch 2 input)
Pin 4 - 560 Ohm pullup to +5V (DDR Detect Pin*) (Switch 1 LED driver source)
Pin 5 - 4.7K Ohm pulldown to GND (Switch 1 input)
Pin 6 - GND

So do i also connect Pin 2 to something else except Optical sensor 2 Blue cable, and Pin 3 which is Yellow optical sensor 2 needs also be connected to GDN pin 6?
Im lost, Or do i just connect all sensor wires to assigned pins as per diagram on page 1 and in between Optical sensors and 6pin Molex stick correct resistors?

Also just to have a level of liquid that i can see in Fusion with out Optical sensors when DOS uses it. How do i do that please.

Apologies for being so stupid in this, much appreciate your help.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per diagram on page one and no resistors. I connected two optical sensors with a Molex plug.

Sertan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per diagram on page one and no resistors. I connected two optical sensors with a Molex plug.
Thank you Chris much appreciate prompt reply and your time. So like this:

Also what happened to resistors? Why there is no need to use them?

IMG_20190309_134512.jpg

Sertan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and if i dont want to have a sensor is there a way to have just Fusion monitoring only?

Edit: Found out about pin 4 and 6. Please disregard the question.

Last edited:

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time you need resistors is if you’re just activating the container in fusion or if you’re building a stand-alone break out board

Sertan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time you need resistors is if you’re just activating the container in fusion or if you’re building a stand-alone break out board
This is exactly what i need to activate and monitor containers in fusion. Now ive read on page 7 or 8 of this thread some people just twisted wires of pin 4 and 6 i believe with no 160/180ohm resistors. This is just to see containers in fusion.
But now i i gue i dont need resistors at all if im wiring to optical sensors.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You *should* use a resistor to activate the container but if you don’t, that’s on you. Will probably be fine, but not with ruining an expensive doser just for containers in fusion over a .25 cent part

Back