Apex DOS DIY level switch?

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think I have a way for you to enable fluid monitoring without the optical sensors too. So if you want to just enable the software feature but not have the low fluid sense switches its possible to do with just a resistor jumper between two pins to trick the DOS into thinking you have a DDR connected. Or a single optical sensor will do it too.

Did you ever get this working without the optical sensors? If so, I'd love to pay someone to make one of these for me. If not, I'll go the eBay cable route, although that would be a waste since I have zero use for optical sensors in my application and am only interested in getting the fluid monitoring tiles on Fusion. Thanks

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach (post #200) does this - very cheap and easy.

Did you ever get this working without the optical sensors? If so, I'd love to pay someone to make one of these for me. If not, I'll go the eBay cable route, although that would be a waste since I have zero use for optical sensors in my application and am only interested in getting the fluid monitoring tiles on Fusion. Thanks

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach (post #200) does this - very cheap and easy.

Perfect, thank you! So I just order this cable, cut it in half, tape up the exposed wires, and plug it in and I'll have the DDR tiles for fluid monitoring? If so, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Appreciate it.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is that I did. Been working that way since last June keeping track of 40 gallon storage for day automatic water changes

Good luck Tiggs

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one earlier today, so I should have it on Tuesday. As much as I love Neptune products, as cool as the DDR looks, and as much money as I willingly drop into this hobby weekly, there's just no way I can justify spending $200 on a fancy container just to get fluid monitoring. This is great.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, exactly.

My cable came in today, so I chopped it in half and used electrical tape on the closed ends. After plugging into my Dos, no DDR tiles appeared. Is it possible I'm missing a step here? I tried with both ends and have tried rebooting and updating the Dos as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0789.jpg

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you restart the Fusion app? They won't appear until you do that.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restarted Fusion a few times and rebooted the entire Apex. I think I may have found the culprit though. I read through the post from the beginning again and must have skipped over the part about soldering wires 4 and 6 together. I literally just cut the cable in half, taped it up, then plugged it in. Splicing 4 and 6 together is a requirement, right? thanks

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I found you don't a resistor as mentioned earlier, just twist those wires together and restart Fusion.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I found you don't a resistor as mentioned earlier, just twist those wires together and restart Fusion.

Annnnd we have liftoff! Thanks so much for the assistance. One last question in regards to safety. I don't have a soldering iron handy right now, so I just spliced the two wires together and wrapped them up well in electrical tape, then wrapped that bunch and the other exposed wires up in another layer of electrical tape. I'm assuming this is perfectly fine, but then again, electrical was never my strong point, so figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Now that this is working, I'm thinking about getting the $13 Kamoer reservoirs that come with a level float switch and hooking them up through the breakout box to give me full DDR functionality for a whopping total of $40. Thanks again

IMG_0790.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnd we have liftoff! Thanks so much for the assistance. One last question in regards to safety. I don't have a soldering iron handy right now, so I just spliced the two wires together and wrapped them up well in electrical tape, then wrapped that bunch and the other exposed wires up in another layer of electrical tape. I'm assuming this is perfectly fine, but then again, electrical was never my strong point, so figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Now that this is working, I'm thinking about getting the $13 Kamoer reservoirs that come with a level float switch and hooking them up through the breakout box to give me full DDR functionality for a whopping total of $40. Thanks again

IMG_0790.jpg
Since it's just low voltage, that should be fine from a safety perspective. It may stop working intermittently until you get a more secure splice. Water proof wire nuts would be appropriate to use if you don't want to solder. Then tape over the nuts.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, thanks. I'll grab some waterproof wire nuts and/or heat shrink wrapping and tidy things up a bit. I just wanted to make sure I'm not risking frying my DOS or burning down the house since I'm not using a resister. Thanks again

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah if you just twisted the wires together, wrapped in electrical tape, or heat shrink, and put a tie wrap on it, it’ll be fine. Just keep the twist from moving so it doesn’t untwist and don’t let it get wet. It won’t burn anything down.

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah if you just twisted the wires together, wrapped in electrical tape, or heat shrink, and put a tie wrap on it, it’ll be fine. Just keep the twist from moving so it doesn’t untwist and don’t let it get wet. It won’t burn anything down.
GREAT POST

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I see with that is all the e tape. If you use e tape to bundle stuff it’s gonna most likely make a sticky mess when you try to take the tape off. Wire duct is best if it fits. Next best is Velcro. After that I’d go for wire ties.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, electrical tape leaves residue behind when you take it off, but we're talking about wire connections here. Just clip the ends and start over if you have to reconnect it.

We're also talking about low voltage, that can literally work underwater (see: cars that work when submerged). As long as you don't short the connections, it'll be fine.

The ultimate solution is just solder and waterproof heatshrink. Wire duct/velcro is only good for running/organizing the wires. we're talking about protecting the connections, not affixing the wire to something.

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great thread, added new functionality to DOS for $10

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered this cable and cut it in half and taped up the exposed wires. It's a Molex to Molex cable so one cable works for two DOS units...

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/2451320605/molex

I just wanted to check something- what you are actually doing is connecting wire 4 and 6 together to spoof a DDR- correct? The cable just provides an easy, non-permanent way to make that connection?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back