Apex DOS DIY level switch?

beboyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post this in case somebody else is looking for answers as I was a few days ago. A DOS-compatible cable with two optical sensors is being sold on eBay. Just got mine and it appears to work as expected. I plugged it into the DOS and Apex shows a DDR and both sensors attached.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352275690018

Debacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post this in case somebody else is looking for answers as I was a few days ago. A DOS-compatible cable with two optical sensors is being sold on eBay. Just got mine and it appears to work as expected. I plugged it into the DOS and Apex shows a DDR and both sensors attached.

Yeah but $45? Nty. If you really wanted to do it yourself you can build your own using old computer power supply cable and a resistor you can pick up on Amazon for a few dollars per dozen.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice thanks for the post

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great find on the eBay item. Looks like mine that I built. Not as fun and satisfying though :).

This option is for those that want the DDR tile to show in Fusion (without having to buy one) AND have two optical sensors for what ever use. Done and ready to plug in!

beboyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but $45? Nty. If you really wanted to do it yourself you can build your own using old computer power supply cable and a resistor you can pick up on Amazon for a few dollars per dozen.
Don't overlook that you also get two optical sensors for that $45. They look and work just like the Apex sensors. Worth it just for those to me.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to reach out to him too. I'm already the happy owner of one of his BOBs, and want another. There is a post somewhere where he says he will no longer be making them. Not sure if it his health issues, or his paranoia.

Would some one please convince Avast to make them?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If somebody gave me enough info that I could build them, I'd do it and nobody would stop me. You don't see Ford out there threatening companies that make brake pads to fit their cars. I'm not an electronics guy though, so I'd have to be spoon fed the info.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the Neptune mafia got him suicided

I don't think Neptune is that heavy-handed. They might have told him that he couldn't use the word "Apex" on his circuit board, but they certainly haven't gone after Avast for designing a better Apex compatible BOB than the one they make. I'm more curious to know what made the site cancel his private mail.
If somebody gave me enough info that I could build them, I'd do it and nobody would stop me. You don't see Ford out there threatening companies that make brake pads to fit their cars. I'm not an electronics guy though, so I'd have to be spoon fed the info.

The hardest part would be the designing of the circuit board. (There are small companies that will do small runs of a circuit board for you.) I think the information is already available on how the board works and on the components needed to turn the circuit board into a functional BOB. And, I think there are photos around of the original board. The second hardest part would be designing a box to put it in - the original board came bare, without such a project box.

If I wanted to manufacture one, I think I'd offer the designer a fee for each one I sold in exchange for the use of his design, rather than designing a replacement from scratch. (I'm an electronic nitwit.)

I wish you all the best on commercially building one. I'll be the first in line waiting to buy it...

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading this thread and with some info I already had I jumped into the project. It was easy and not so difficult at all.
I ordered 2 sensors from eBay for less than $10. I used a network Ethernet cable to join all the necessary wires and attached the 6 pin head to it. It works perfectly fine.
Noticed no one has ever posted any pics of the final product so here are few of mine I made.
20180521_014219.jpg
20180521_014224.jpg
20180521_014307.jpg
20180521_014232.jpg
20180521_014519.jpg

20180521_020101.jpg

Dxpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pictures and the write up. Where did you buy the 6pin header from?

I noticed in the picture you are dosing nitrates and alk. Can you explain what you are dosing? What about calcium?

Dxpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pictures and the write up. Where did you buy the 6pin header from?

I noticed in the picture you are dosing nitrates and alk. Can you explain what you are dosing? What about calcium?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the header from online company, link mentioned on this thread first page.

Yes I dose alk, cal, mag, nitrates and lanthanum chloride.
Just not visible in pic. I have first 4 on 2x dos and lanthanum on brs 1.1ml doser.

Last edited:

ricowind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the harness from Ebay and want to create an extension cable, does anyone know where I can purchase the connectors and pins both male and female?

your help is appreciated

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to roll my own extension cables when I made this last year. would be nice if someone found some

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%

Back