Apex DOS DIY level switch?

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people drawing and selling with those diagrams simply aren't aquarists. If you're that paranoid, just put some silicone on the back end of the sensor.

OP
OP
CuseReefer

CuseReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if anyone has been trying to contact me. My private messages have been disabled for selling these kits. I am other forums under the same user handle. Such as neptunes.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to connect up two optical sensors and set the DDR display for my automatic water changes I have a 44 gallon container for new salt water and set the DDR display for just under 40 gallons (151400 ml). Old salt water will go down the drain, so the 'Old' is just a tracker to watch the pumps are pushing the same amounts

You can make changes on the Apex display but only up to 9999ml. You have to go into the web interface of your apex and configure the DOS module to set larger numbers.

IMG_5252.PNG

Marcsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: The 6 pin Molex PCI Express Power Cable connector shown in reply #18 does not look like the correct connector for the common Ebay optical switches, correct? Those optical switches look like they use a micro 4 pin. Am I missing something. Would I have to splice on a micro 4 pin to the 6 pin molex?

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of having to crimp wires and pins, I got this molex cable assembly (WM15769-ND) from Digikey. Fits perfectly into the DOS port. No crimping of pins and inserting into a molex connector. The second picture is of the cable assembly to connect to the optical sensors. You could go direct from the optical sensors to the molex cable assembly, but I wanted a separate plug(s). Plug a optical sensor into each of the 3S JST EH cables so you know what end not to cut and then cut connector the other end to expose the wires, do this for both optical sensors. You then cut one end of the microfit cable and splice together the two sets of four wires from the optical sensors (follow the colors on the optical sensor) in with the six wires from the molex cable. I just used butt connectors that had shrink tubing on them and then electrical tape to keep it neat.

On the Digi-key page for this cable is a drawing document that shows the specs of the cable including wire colors.
1-Black, 2-Brown, 3-Red, 4-Orange, 5-Yellow, 6-Green
The pin layout of the microfit 6 circuit socet matches what was posted earlier for the DOS.

Digikey has the microfit cable up to 5m lengths and you might be able to find a vendor that sells them individually or not on backordered, they had lots of the 0.5 meter cables. This cable has the same socket on each end, so if needed you can cut the cable in the middle and wind up with two microfit cables and could build out four optical sensors if you have multiple DOS units.

As in any DIY, perform at your own risk.

Digikey.jpg
3s cable.jpg

Last edited:

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked, Digi-key has the 1 meter and 2 meter cables in stock.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea, and simple.
The 1-link cable can also be ordered from Digikey.

Instead of having to crimp wires and pins, I got this molex cable assembly (WM15769-ND) from Digikey. Fits perfectly into the DOS port. No crimping of pins and inserting into a molex connector. The second picture is of the cable assembly to connect to the optical sensors. You could go direct from the optical sensors to the molex cable assembly, but I wanted a separate plug(s). Plug a optical sensor into each of the 3S JST EH cables so you know what end not to cut and then cut connector the other end to expose the wires, do this for both optical sensors. You then cut one end of the microfit cable and splice together the two sets of four wires from the optical sensors (follow the colors on the optical sensor) in with the six wires from the molex cable. I just used butt connectors that had shrink tubing on them and then electrical tape to keep it neat.

On the Digi-key page for this cable is a drawing document that shows the specs of the cable including wire colors.
1-Black, 2-Brown, 3-Red, 4-Orange, 5-Yellow, 6-Green
The pin layout of the microfit 6 circuit socet matches what was posted earlier for the DOS.

Digikey has the microfit cable up to 5m lengths and you might be able to find a vendor that sells them individually or not on backordered, they had lots of the 0.5 meter cables. This cable has the same socket on each end, so if needed you can cut the cable in the middle and wind up with two microfit cables and could build out four optical sensors if you have multiple DOS units.

As in any DIY, perform at your own risk.

Digikey.jpg
3s cable.jpg

dovla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OS-1 have white, red, black and green wires. To which pin each should go?

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I installed a 180 ohm resistor between pin 4 and 6 internally soldered on the back of the connector. The voltage drop across the resistor is 1.202 vdc. The DDR will not show up in my tiles. Any ideas? Perhaps the pinout has changed? My build date is june 2017.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i checked on ebay and amazon to see if any of those boards were still being sold, no dice. COUGH COUGH!

blazeby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

I bought the Molex cable mentioned above, cut it in half and then soldered wires 4 and 6 together with no resistor in between and now the fake DDR level tile is showing in my Fusion dashboard.

I'm sorta surprised as I thought the resistor was required but it seems to work without.

Does anyone see any issues with my approach?

Thanks!

Humpty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried hooking the optical sensor to the dos drr port. I made the cable and tested for continuity from end to end and it was fine. When i hook it to the DOS it senses the cable and shows me the 2 optical sensors in fusion as well as the ddr image, however the optical sensor remains closed and does not show a state change when it is wet or dry. Any ideas what could be going on here?
I was hoping to switch my tunze to the pmup but i will need to get these optical sensors working for the pmup to operate as an ato.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried hooking the optical sensor to the dos drr port. I made the cable and tested for continuity from end to end and it was fine. When i hook it to the DOS it senses the cable and shows me the 2 optical sensors in fusion as well as the ddr image, however the optical sensor remains closed and does not show a state change when it is wet or dry. Any ideas what could be going on here?
I was hoping to switch my tunze to the pmup but i will need to get these optical sensors working for the pmup to operate as an ato.

When you say "wet", you mean underwater, right?

Back