APEX DOS , does it have to be mounted higher than water source?

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if this is a stupid question,

I feel I am pretty good with apex gear but I have a new DOS and setup to do a water change, I mounted it lower than the tank (no sump on this system) and it keeps loosing the prime to remove the waste water. I pulled off the source water line from the tank and it flows water telling me there is a syphon occurring but i would think that would help it to work properly. anyway it is not removing the wastewater and before I remount in a new location which is not desirable i thought i would throw it out there.

maybe i am missing something?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS will be fine above or below the water source. Frankly peristaltic pumps don’t really even need a prime as they are capable of moving both water and air, so I’m not sure that losing prime is actually your issue.

I‘m still not totally clear on exactly what’s happening. How exactly are things connected and how long are the tube runs? When you say that it’s not removing waste water from the tank, how do you know that it’s not?

The other thing of note is that when you follow the neptune instructions for setting up AWC with a DOS they tell you to connect the waste water lines ‘backwards’ so the line going into the tank connects to the ‘out’ on the pump head and the line going to the drain connects to the ‘in’ on the pump head. This works because the pump will run in reverse when the AWC program runs. However, if you are trying to prime the lines with the button on the pump it will run the pump forward, so it will try to move water from the drain to the tank. If you are trying to prime it with the button then this could be your problem.

Post some additional details about exactly how you have things set up and I’m sure we can get it working.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing of note is that when you follow the neptune instructions for setting up AWC with a DOS they tell you to connect the waste water lines ‘backwards’ so the line going into the tank connects to the ‘out’ on the pump head and the line going to the drain connects to the ‘in’ on the pump head. This works because the pump will run in reverse when the AWC program runs. However, if you are trying to prime the lines with the button on the pump it will run the pump forward, so it will try to move water from the drain to the tank. If you are trying to prime it with the button then this could be your problem.
See my post about reversing the DOS tubing for AWC to facilitate priming and calibration of the DOS:

Also, if the tubing is losing prime, heat the tubing in hot water or with a hairdryer to soften it before connecting it.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS will be fine above or below the water source. Frankly peristaltic pumps don’t really even need a prime as they are capable of moving both water and air, so I’m not sure that losing prime is actually your issue.

I‘m still not totally clear on exactly what’s happening. How exactly are things connected and how long are the tube runs? When you say that it’s not removing waste water from the tank, how do you know that it’s not?

Post some additional details about exactly how you have things set up and I’m sure we can get it working.
yes, thank you for the refresher course, i did do that and that is why it is not removing the waste as i celebrated. let me try that and see but i am sure that is what is going on.

That is why i love this forum, fast and reliable help...

thanks again

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See my post about reversing the DOS tubing for AWC to facilitate priming and calibration of the DOS:

Also, if the tubing is losing prime, heat the tubing in hot water or with a hairdryer to soften it before connecting it.
yes, i forgot i had to go into the interval and set it to add, not remove. that way it worked the same as calibration and pulled from the left side of pump...clockwise.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back