Apex Duo Auto Water Change Siphon Question

kelleymc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m installing an Apex Duo to perform automatic water changes. The water will drain from the sump into a basement drain and refill from saltwater mixing bins also in the basement. The Duo will be installed in the basement as well.

My question is, how do a prevent a siphon from the line in the sump draining the old saltwater?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Apex DOS.
I don't think this is an issue with the DOS units. You should contact @Susan Edwards - she's fine-tuned her DOS AWC setup and may have aome helpful tips for you (from what I recall, it's a fairly long run).

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kelleymc I suppose if the line was detached from the DOS then a siphon could start. I’m guessing it’s a low probability event but you still want to reduce the damage.

Since you’re emptying and refilling at the same time, what if you set the drain line just below your water level (like 1/2”). Then you’d only lose 1/2” worth of water to a spill before an air break would occur. The fill line can stay above the water line. Sorry. Imperfect solution.

OP
OP
kelleymc

kelleymc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kelleymc I suppose if the line was detached from the DOS then a siphon could start. I’m guessing it’s a low probability event but you still want to reduce the damage.

Since you’re emptying and refilling at the same time, what if you set the drain line just below your water level (like 1/2”). Then you’d only lose 1/2” worth of water to a spill before an air break would occur. The fill line can stay above the water line. Sorry. Imperfect solution.
Don’t be sorry, actually very smart solution.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like that as a failsafe.

You might also make sure the DOS is mounted above the waterline (both sump and mixing bin), with the lines secured at that height. So the detached line mention above doesn't fall and start a siphon.

You could also used a stand pipe at you basement drain if its convenient. I'm envisioning a 1/2" PVC pipe coming up from the drain to an elevation above the waterlines. The drain line from the DOS could drop onto this pipe creating a siphon break at the high point.

OP
OP
kelleymc

kelleymc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that as a failsafe.

You might also make sure the DOS is mounted above the waterline (both sump and mixing bin), with the lines secured at that height. So the detached line mention above doesn't fall and start a siphon.

You could also used a stand pipe at you basement drain if its convenient. I'm envisioning a 1/2" PVC pipe coming up from the drain to an elevation above the waterlines. The drain line from the DOS could drop onto this pipe creating a siphon break at the high point.
Clever idea as well!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peristaltic pump with positive pressure at all times. There is 0 way of it siphoning. The pinch rollers keep it from having any ability to siphon.

As far as a line falling off, also not possible as you have to lock the line in place with a plunge nut that gets tighter on the line the more you tighten the nut.

Nemoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peristaltic pump with positive pressure at all times. There is 0 way of it siphoning. The pinch rollers keep it from having any ability to siphon.

As far as a line falling off, also not possible as you have to lock the line in place with a plunge nut that gets tighter on the line the more you tighten the nut.

I am in the process of using one of my DOS to do AWC and came across this post. Just a word of caution, one of my DOS pumps had its silicone tube of the tubing assembly slipped off of that roller assembly. This if happened to AWC, then it will create a siphon both ways. Anyone have any idea for a failsafe to not drain sump to drain or all of mixing bin into the sump?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back