Apex EB832...1 or 2

John71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so first post on here...hopefully I don't sound like an idiot. I am in the process of getting ready to set up an 80G tank with an Apex. My question is what do people plug into the EB832 vs plugging in to a standard outlet strip? I have enough stuff to need an additional power source, but not sure if it justifies another $280 for a 2nd EB832, using an EB8, or if a $30 switched power strip will do the job. I do get that the EB832 has the power monitoring which might be useful depending on what would be plugged in to it.

At the moment I have:
2 DOS - Which I think I should be able to just use the 1 link for these I believe so won't take up any outlets
2 Wavemakers - Probably using the EB832 using 0-10v for control
1 Skimmer - Probably using the EB832 using 0-10v for control
1 Return pump - Probably using the EB832 using 0-10v for control
1 BRS Titanium heater - Using the EB832 as a backup

1 Inkbird controller running a BRS Titanium heater - I wasn't thinking I wanted to plug this in to the EB832 just incase I have a failure...will be used as primary heater
1 Osmolator ATO
2 Kessil lights run off a Kessil controller...MAY need a 3rd
1 fuge light - likely, but not 100% sure I will set up a fuge
1 UV sterilizer
1 Reefwave 25 - possibly, depending on flow with the other 2 powerheads

Also probably some type of under cabinet LED lighting.

So without the DOSs...I could potentially use about 1 1/2 EB832s. I was really thinking though that the lights and the Inkbird would just be in a strip. The UV could just be in a strip since it would run 24x7 and could just be switched off if needed, but that could also be done with the EB832.

I guess ultimately I have 1 EB832 that came with the Apex. So what makes the most sense in configuring the equipment as to what would be plugged into it and what wouldn't need to be? Then the next question would be if I have more than 8 things that makes sense to plug into an EB832 would it justify a 2nd, or would an EB8 work, OR just a switched strip?

Any input would be appreciated.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EB4 or EB8? Much cheaper and you dont loose that many options.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so first post on here...hopefully I don't sound like an idiot. I am in the process of getting ready to set up an 80G tank with an Apex. My question is what do people plug into the EB832 vs plugging in to a standard outlet strip? I have enough stuff to need an additional power source, but not sure if it justifies another $280 for a 2nd EB832, using an EB8, or if a $30 switched power strip will do the job. I do get that the EB832 has the power monitoring which might be useful depending on what would be plugged in to it.

At the moment I have:
2 DOS - Which I think I should be able to just use the 1 link for these I believe so won't take up any outlets

1 Inkbird controller running a BRS Titanium heater - I wasn't thinking I wanted to plug this in to the EB832 just incase I have a failure...will be used as primary heater
1 Osmolator ATO
1 UV sterilizer

So without the DOSs...I could potentially use about 1 1/2 EB832s. I was really thinking though that the lights and the Inkbird would just be in a strip. The UV could just be in a strip since it would run 24x7 and could just be switched off if needed, but that could also be done with the EB832.

I guess ultimately I have 1 EB832 that came with the Apex. So what makes the most sense in configuring the equipment as to what would be plugged into it and what wouldn't need to be? Then the next question would be if I have more than 8 things that makes sense to plug into an EB832 would it justify a 2nd, or would an EB8 work, OR just a switched strip?

From the equipment you listed, you can get by with a single EB832. You'll be using 0-10v to turn stuff on/off so no need to also have them plugged into an EB832; unless you want to track electrical usage and stem off potential bad equipment by monitor the usage.

Your Kessil lights do not even need to be on an EB832. You won't really control them using the Apex unless you just want to control power on/off (which can be done a slew of other ways).

Also, the current trend is that most companies seem to want to have their own ecosystem, so Apex becoming less necessary (at least my opinion and not that is ever was really necessary, but good to have).

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any items that have 0-10v control can have their power plugged into a standard power strip, then use a 0-10v port to control the device. This requires a 0-10v port either on the Apex itself or a VDM module.

Items like the DOS or Trident allow connection via 1Link or AquaBus+power adapter. If using the AquaBus option, the power adapter should be plugged into a standard power strip since all control of the device goes through the AquaBus cable.

Anything else you want programmable control over should be plugged into the EnergyBar.

Here's a diagram of what I plug in to my EB832:
image5-17[1].png

This is from my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two EB832 and four EB8. Former gets things for which power monitoring is useful; latter for things where it is not. 24V accessory ports on the EB832 are quite useful as well.

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set your system up with one, which is more than enough, and go from there. Most of the equipment you're using can / will, run off of the 0-10v outputs and not the 110v switched outlets. As you add things, or figure out what else you may need, you can buy another one, if you want. I actually added a few EB-8 because they fit my purpose better.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At the moment I have:

1 Osmolator ATO
1 UV sterilizer

Devices such as return pump are great to have on EB832 due to power monitoring. That can notify you if the pump is drawing abnormally low, or high power. For example a clogged return pump will draw more power. Or if the pump controller/power supply fails, it will draw less power.

Definitely something I will always keep on an eb832 outlet.

For some thing like your Kessil lighting, keeping it on the Eb832 is not important. You can always put that on a generic power bar

U

User1

View Badges
So here is the deal. I personally recommend two for redundancy. How the hobbyists gets there is up to them but I'd suggest two. You can keep it online and in use, hot spare, or boxed if not needed and a cold spare. I have two and have two Cor 15 return pumps. I plug each of the Cor 15's into a different energy bar.

One thing that helps me when using the energy bar is the price per outlet and if it needs any monitoring. Those two things sort of help me determine if I use the outlet or not. For example I do not need my Sea Swirls plugged into a energy bar but my heater does.

In any case I prefer two in some combination for redundancy. Sort of like having two engines on a aircraft crossing the Atlantic :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back