Apex failure before Vacation!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On June 9th, I opened a ticket that my Apex stopped logging and I could figure out the problem. Support eventually told me my Apex was defective and sent me a new one. I am not happy they charged me both a deposit and shipping even though this was under warranty, but the real problem is I am leaving on vacation in a week. I have a reliable house sitter who knows nothing about aquariums, and a few reef-friends I might be able to get a hold of, but really can't count on. So far, the replacement Apex is worse than the original.

My decision is either to leave the new Apex and hope support resolves my problem and it lasts while I am gone, or switch back to the known defective Apex that would be okay if it worked the way it used to for the duration of my vacation, or disconnect both and try to get my old doser which was on its last leg to replace my DOS, timers for lights, etc. I don't need to decide today, but I don't want to decide an hour before leaving for the airport either.

If this were your tank, what would you decide? And how long would you wait?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is known for sending refurbished units under warranty replacement and those units do seem to go through much testing unfortunately. There are multiple examples of complaints on this forum.

I usually don't do anything drastic before vacation, it's just asking for trouble. Depending on the issue with the old head unit, I'd think of a way to put it back together. At least there you know what to expect as long as the issue is not fatal. If you absolutely have to switch to the timer based back up, do it now while you are still at home for a few days to work out the issues as they come.

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On June 9th, I opened a ticket that my Apex stopped logging and I could figure out the problem. Support eventually told me my Apex was defective and sent me a new one. I am not happy they charged me both a deposit and shipping even though this was under warranty, but the real problem is I am leaving on vacation in a week. I have a reliable house sitter who knows nothing about aquariums, and a few reef-friends I might be able to get a hold of, but really can't count on. So far, the replacement Apex is worse than the original.

My decision is either to leave the new Apex and hope support resolves my problem and it lasts while I am gone, or switch back to the known defective Apex that would be okay if it worked the way it used to for the duration of my vacation, or disconnect both and try to get my old doser which was on its last leg to replace my DOS, timers for lights, etc. I don't need to decide today, but I don't want to decide an hour before leaving for the airport either.

If this were your tank, what would you decide? And how long would you wait?
I personally wouldn't leave until I knew everything was working properly. But, I never go on vacation because I have a lot of tanks. What specific issue are you having? And how long will you be gone?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the memory fails, which is a problem they had with defective sd cards, not only does the logging and graphs stop working but all the outlets can become unresponsive and well as all the advanced programming disappearing. So absolutely do not rely on the old apex while away on vacation

Edit. Also they refund you when they receive your apex so all you’re out is shipping of your unit to them

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune is known for sending refurbished units under warranty replacement and those units do seem to go through much testing unfortunately. There are multiple examples of complaints on this forum.

I usually don't do anything drastic before vacation, it's just asking for trouble. Depending on the issue with the old head unit, I'd think of a way to put it back together. At least there you know what to expect as long as the issue is not fatal. If you absolutely have to switch to the timer based back up, do it now while you are still at home for a few days to work out the issues as they come.

Right now, I am manually using kalkwasser instead of dosing and manually plugging/unplugging my lights. Obviously this needs to change.

As I said, I am fine with the old head unit behaving the way it did before. The concern is since I have been told it is defective, something new might go wrong while I am away.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also they refund you when they receive your apex so all you’re out is shipping of your unit to them
It isn't that this is a financial burden, but they were clearly at fault and acknowledged this and then kicked me in the teeth when I was down. If this company goes out of business, it won't be from losing $10 on every defective unit they sell, or people wanting to keep defective units they promised they'd return.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many people become paralyzed without their APEX. A tank sitter, some light timers, and kalk in your ATO would get you by until you return. I would not rely on the APEX if you don't have proper time to vet it.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't that this is a financial burden, but they were clearly at fault and acknowledged this and then kicked me in the teeth when I was down. If this company goes out of business, it won't be from losing $10 on every defective unit they sell, or people wanting to keep defective units they promised they'd return.
I get it believe me. I also see their side. Most vendors don’t give you the option to pay for a replacement to be sent out so you can continue using a product until it arrives. Most actually make you send them your unit, inspect it, and then send out a replacement. All while you have nothing. Neptune offers either option. Either way, it’s a pain but such is life.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many people become paralyzed without their APEX. A tank sitter, some light timers, and kalk in your ATO would get you by until you return. I would not rely on the APEX if you don't have proper time to vet it.
How far ahead would you make the change? I can leave the replacement Apex a few more days and let their support try to figure things out even if I plan to swap even if they fix it.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it believe me. I also see their side. Most vendors don’t give you the option to pay for a replacement to be sent out so you can continue using a product until it arrives. Most actually make you send them your unit, inspect it, and then send out a replacement. All while you have nothing. Neptune offers either option. Either way, it’s a pain but such is life.
I don't see their side at all. No one in this hobby would care if they charged $10 more when selling an initial unit. As long as at least half their units are not defective they come out ahead financially without ticking off their customers.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say after my problems recent with Neptune is keep calling and be that jerk or you get blown off. It took many months for them to replace a few bad things for me. It was a run around and Morgan there I had problems with as he lies but yet they kept passing me with 3 tickets to them after I stayed I can’t work with a a liar that doesn’t even try to help. Good luck getting to manager

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I am manually using kalkwasser instead of dosing and manually plugging/unplugging my lights. Obviously this needs to change.

As I said, I am fine with the old head unit behaving the way it did before. The concern is since I have been told it is defective, something new might go wrong while I am away.
I think it's the balance of risks between not knowing what else can be wrong with the old unit and not knowing what's going to happen with the backup set up in the last minute without an extended test drive. It's the gamble we take. My money is on the limping horse unless it's about to drop.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's the balance of risks between not knowing what else can be wrong with the old unit and not knowing what's going to happen with the backup set up in the last minute without an extended test drive. It's the gamble we take. My money is on the limping horse unless it's about to drop.
By 'limping horse' do you mean the doser before I bought the DOS? Or one of the APEX units?

There is no reason not to mix approaches. I can use timers for the lights and the Apex as a doser.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say after my problems recent with Neptune is keep calling and be that jerk or you get blown off. It took many months for them to replace a few bad things for me. It was a run around and Morgan there I had problems with as he lies but yet they kept passing me with 3 tickets to them after I stayed I can’t work with a a liar that doesn’t even try to help. Good luck getting to manager
I am really surprised at this. I read these forums a lot and choose Apex over CoralVue based on their reputation. Are posts being removed because Apex is a Sponsor?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are posts being removed because Apex is a Sponsor?
Yes.

By 'limping horse' do you mean the doser before I bought the DOS? Or one of the APEX units?

There is no reason not to mix approaches. I can use timers for the lights and the Apex as a doser.

I am talking in generalities here as I don't know the state of your head unit or the doser. It is up to you to pick the limping horse.
I professionally repair these units and it wouldn't be appropriate for me to guess as to the state of your equipment under these circumstances without working on it first. You'll have to take that chance.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really surprised at this. I read these forums a lot and choose Apex over CoralVue based on their reputation. Are posts being removed because Apex is a Sponsor?
Neptune was awesome to deal with but past year or two hasn’t been easy. R2R has a thing removing post against them or sponsors so wouldn’t be surprised. In the end only thing people want is money and forgot where they come from

Seriously good luck. Few people are great here and hope they can help. Also just make sure it’s not you missing something as that is the number one issue

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

I am talking in generalities here as I don't know the state of your head unit or the doser. It is up to you to pick the limping horse.
I professionally repair these units and it wouldn't be appropriate for me to guess as to the state of your equipment under these circumstances without working on it first. You'll have to take that chance.
What posts is Neptune removing because they are a sponsor? I have a hard time believing this statement. I’ve read many discussions on here where people have expressed their issues and opinions with Neptune products and haven’t seen one deleted

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What posts is Neptune removing because they are a sponsor? I have a hard time believing this statement. I’ve read many discussions on here where people have expressed their issues and opinions with Neptune products and haven’t seen one deleted
The link above doesn't work?

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did post a negative review on bulkreefsupply.com which owns Apex, and to their credit, it has not been removed (yet).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back