Apex Fusion Question

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All and thank you in advance for you comment.

I am planning on a vacation and I have set my Apex up to auto feed, turn off ret pump, heater etc during the feeding at a specific time. My question is... I have done some Arduino programming in the past and if I wanted to block out a line of code I could put a */ code code code /* and it would make that line not used and the program would skip past it. I would like to do something like this so I can easily toggle on and off the code for when I am not at home as opposed to writing it out every time or saving it on a Word Doc etc.

Is there a way to do this with The Apex systems?

Cheers!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is actually super simple to do. In fusion you have multiple feed modes A B C D
If you select the little wrench you can go into them and assign the lengths in seconds
Screenshot_20191126-225414_Apex Fusion.jpg

Screenshot_20191126-225222_Apex Fusion.jpg

What you'll do is whatever piece of equipment you want to shut off during the feed mode go into the settings and assign them to the same feed mode letter
Screenshot_20191126-225235_Apex Fusion.jpg

Then click on tasks and select setup AFS
And during setup itll have you select a time, how often how much ect...but most importantly which feed mode you want associated with it.

Hope this helps (and makes sense, I'm not good with coding lol)

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crab, I think you misunderstood his question.
@RBReefing
Unfortunately you can't disable a line of code in apex with an *, I thought about this idea many times and wish there was some sort of option.

Not sure how complicated the lines of code you have, but you may be able to get clever and add that line of code to a virtual outlet and toggle it from AUTO to OFF when you want to avoid that specific action.

Can you give some specifics to exactly what you want?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crab, I think you misunderstood his question.
@RBReefing
Unfortunately you can't disable a line of code in apex with an *, I thought about this idea many times and wish there was some sort of option.

You can get clever and add that line of code to a virtual outlet and toggle it from AUTO to OFF when you want to avoid that line of code.
Possibly. My take was they only want certain items to turn off during an automatic feeding. Sorry if I misinterpreted

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly. My take was they only want certain items to turn off during an automatic feeding. Sorry if I misinterpreted
Ahh I see, I took it as "auto feed" wasn't a feed button, but a series of events he programmed at a specific time to automatically feed the tank. There seems to be a line of code in one of his outlets that he wants to avoid when he's either in town or out of town. and the constant adding and removing of that line of code is getting old real quick.

OP
OP
R

RBReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I think the internal answer was misinterpreted.

I guess I will be humble now =) My code is "If Time 18:30 to 18:44 Then OFF" Applied to return pump, heater, power head, skimmer. At this point not super complex at all! I set the time of the automatic feeder (battery powered one) to match this time in the middle so the flow has become still.

I can totally do a Word doc etc to save this or just remember. But my laziness was just like it would be cool if I could just pause that line and only activate it when I plan to be out of town. I travel for work so I would have to update the code frequently like I can on my Arduino micro controllers (I don't use them for tank stuff).

Thank you for the posts.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is easy, Create a virtual outlet call it AutoFeed

AutoFeed
Set OFF
If Time 18:30 to 18:44 Then ON

Add this line to all the outlets that you want OFF (return pump, heater, power head, skimmer)

If Output AutoFeed = ON Then OFF

Then all you have to do is when you go out of town, turn the AutoFeed virtual outlet to AUTO, and when you're in town, simply turn AutoFeed OFF

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the Apex doesn't support "commenting out" code, the simple way to accomplish this is with a virtual output. The Apex processes each line of code from top to bottom for each output. If there's something you want to override, you can place a single line of code at the bottom of that output to turn it off based on a "master switch" virtual output.

For example, if you set up your "If Time 18:30 to 18:44" code in a virtual output named "OutOfTown", you could reference that output in your return pump, skimmer, powerheads, and any other outputs:

OutOfTown (virtual output)
----------------
Set OFF
If Time 18:30 to 18:44 Then ON

Return Pump
--------------------
Fallback ON
Set ON
If Output OutOfTown = ON Then OFF

Skimmer
--------------------
Fallback ON
Set ON

PowerHead
------------------
Fallback ON
Set ON

Now when you're home, just leave the OutOfTown set to OFF. When you leave, move OutOfTown to AUTO and it will trigger each of your other devices to turn off at the appropriate time. You won't need to copy/paste in any Word document. I use this same technique for maintenance, so with a single click I turn off all the pumps, dosing, ATO, and other items in my sump so I can work on plumbing or cleaning the sump without other devices turning on by mistake.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back