APEX Fusion Unresponsive After ANY Saved Configuration

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New problem I'm having, not sure how long it has been like this since I rarely make changes to my configuration. But recently when to change a bit of code on one of my EB832 and saved configuration, says successful but then my phone can no longer communicate with the module. I have to unplug the module and re-plug it back in for my phone to be able to have control over the module again. Not only that, but the code change that I made was in fact NOT saved.

Then I did some more investigation, it doesn't matter what I do, any type of save configuration I attempt to make causes the connection between the phone and module broken even though the APEX itself doesn't recognize it. I know its true when the values stop updating and none of my energy bar switches respond to my phone's input. The module still works as it should but until I unplug power from the main module itself, my phone is basically useless at controlling operation.

Any APEX gurus can point me in the right direction would be appreciated... This feels like maybe a new software app update issue?

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Using the Apex Fusion web browser yields the same results. If an update (any update) is sent to the Apex module, it becomes unresponsive to further inputs from both the web browser and the phone app.

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem now, my graphs are no longer displaying / recording. Clock settings are set appropriately...

nographs.JPG clocksetup.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would direct you to Neptune support - since (though I have a couple ideas) - sometimes these little 'glitches' portend a deeper problem. However, some things you can try

1. I assume by module, you mean like a DOS, etc. or another module, as compared to the main Apex 'Brain'?
2. Have you tried unplugging that module from the system - and then resetting the APEX? And then replacing the module?
3. Which module was it that you changed the code for - do you have a copy of the code? Are the values (for pH, Temp, etc) changing - or are they just staying at the current value?

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would direct you to Neptune support - since (though I have a couple ideas) - sometimes these little 'glitches' portend a deeper problem. However, some things you can try

1. I assume by module, you mean like a DOS, etc. or another module, as compared to the main Apex 'Brain'?
2. Have you tried unplugging that module from the system - and then resetting the APEX? And then replacing the module?
3. Which module was it that you changed the code for - do you have a copy of the code? Are the values (for pH, Temp, etc) changing - or are they just staying at the current value?

1. I mean the main Apex brain. All other modules attached appear to be working as intended.
2. I've tried unplugging and replugging everything. No change.
3. Any code I try to modify (specifically the EB832 switches) but it is not unique to just this, any type of change that requires a call to memory I'm assuming is causing the issue which leads back to SD card issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. I mean the main Apex brain. All other modules attached appear to be working as intended.
2. I've tried unplugging and replugging everything. No change.
3. Any code I try to modify (specifically the EB832 switches) but it is not unique to just this, any type of change that requires a call to memory I'm assuming is causing the issue which leads back to SD card issue.
Thanks - Curious - can you post an example of the code you were changing if it's not too long? Do the probes appear to be measuring correctly in fusion? Can you turn off and on your individual modules? I.e. if you set your xxx to off in Fusion and then back on does that still work?

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - Curious - can you post an example of the code you were changing if it's not too long? Do the probes appear to be measuring correctly in fusion? Can you turn off and on your individual modules? I.e. if you set your xxx to off in Fusion and then back on does that still work?

It does not matter which code I alter. I can simply do a FALLBACK ON to FALLBACK OFF on one of the configurations and will still cause this issue.

I can turn off/on any modules like normal UNTIL I make any configuration change. Once I make a change and upload and save to the cloud, then it becomes unresponsive and I can no longer send inputs to the Apex brain, not with my phone app or the fusion dashboard on desktop.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does not matter which code I alter. I can simply do a FALLBACK ON to FALLBACK OFF on one of the configurations and will still cause this issue.

I can turn off/on any modules like normal UNTIL I make any configuration change. Once I make a change and upload and save to the cloud, then it becomes unresponsive and I can no longer send inputs to the Apex brain, not with my phone app or the fusion dashboard on desktop.
Hmmm interesting. Was there a recent firmware update, etc that might have been interrupted, or a power surge, etc? it almost makes one think that when you click 'save' somehow the 'brain' is freezing while trying to save it. (Kind of like a spinning ball on a laptop, etc).

Since Neptune will ask anyway - I assume the firmware on all of your modules, your brain and your EBB are up to date? One last question - which Apex is this (i.e. which version).

Sorry if this is not helping - but it might help you get through the questions at Neptune more quickly.

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm interesting. Was there a recent firmware update, etc that might have been interrupted, or a power surge, etc? it almost makes one think that when you click 'save' somehow the 'brain' is freezing while trying to save it. (Kind of like a spinning ball on a laptop, etc).

Since Neptune will ask anyway - I assume the firmware on all of your modules, your brain and your EBB are up to date? One last question - which Apex is this (i.e. which version).

Sorry if this is not helping - but it might help you get through the questions at Neptune more quickly.

Yes, all firmware up to date. Apex is A2 with all the sensors.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the SD card in the apex is kaput. Fairly common issue, either diy with a swap or send it in to Neptune for a repair.

@_AV may be able to help.
I agree. If you can't save any changes to the head unit, the issue is more than likely with the sd card. Even if you do something as simple as renaming a module or an outlet and it doesn't save, the issue is with the storage.

I can likely help if you want to send it in. If the unit is still under warranty, let neptune take care of it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you send an update?

OP
OP
killer2001

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send an update?

I can send an update and it says "successful" but it doesn't actually save the changes. Then becomes unresponsive until its unplugged and replugged back in.

I opened a support ticket with Neptune so we will see how things play out. But all signs are pointing to SD card failure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can send an update and it says "successful" but it doesn't actually save the changes. Then becomes unresponsive until its unplugged and replugged back in.

I opened a support ticket with Neptune so we will see how things play out. But all signs are pointing to SD card failure.
Please let everyone know! And good luck

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sorry - I meant an update from Neptune:)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it's less than a year, Neptune will cover it..

If more than a year it's much cheaper to just buy another sd card and diy.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another problem now, my graphs are no longer displaying / recording. Clock settings are set appropriately...

nographs.JPG clocksetup.JPG
I hsd the same issue. Neptune had to replace the computer/brain unit. Was a fairly easy process.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back