Apex Gurrruus!!!! NetWork Problem

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased aspex and it is working fine besides giving me problems regarding network.....
it send me text and email regularly with no problem....
it works for a day where i can access it through my aquanotes and outside from my computer but than it keeps saying connection failed....
I do hve a dyndns software running on my computer at my house all the time and the status on update my IP is on....

I am not a computer person and dnt know much about networking.....I read the entire unofficial apex giude and set it up that way...

The only way i get around this problem is i turn on my dchp status on from the apex display and than i restart it......than i go to my computer web browser and get the my new IP and enter that IP in the aquanotes.....tired of doing this very day or every other day.....

so calling out apex gurus...need help

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assign a static ip address to your apex instead of dhcp...that way your ip does not change, also make sure your router has a static ip

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change your apex to a static ip address, if it is dhcp your router is assigning it a new ip address that is why it won't connect through aquanotes...it is simple, after you assign the static ip address set up your port forwarding on your router to the assigned ip address. I changed my port to 8778, you do that in the network setup of your apex and in the port forwarding menu of your router. That should fix your problem, you want to make sure the ip address you assign to your apex is outside of the dhcp range of your router, you can see the range on your router basic setup page. I set mine to xxx.xxx.x.83, you want the first three sets of digits (the x's labeled in my example) to match your routers ip. If you haven't changed anything it should be 192.168.1.1 so your apex should be something like 192.168.1.62, That should fix your connection problem.

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping to have a static ip adress myself, It would appear that I do since my ip has bern the same since I payed attention (couple days now) Im going to use a linksys wireless adapter for mine, I can control 2 tanks at once and tell the difference thanks to the apex, I just tore up the walls running a wire. Lmk how your setup goes, Im curious in case my ip is dynamic.

bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things to realize: your ip address from your provider and the ip addresses of devices on your network are different. Your router basically creates your own personal network and shares the Internet with your devices. So yes your external (from provider) may stay the same for ~30 days, but it will change unless you pay for a static ip. Your internal addresses however can be set by you and do not change - hence setting your apex to a static internal ip. This allows the apex to be in the same spot on your network every time so you can forward ports to it (so you can access it externally).

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, your router has two ip addresses one external (WAN) and one internal (LAN). The external ip address is assigned by the Internet provider and generally changes from month to month, this is used to access the interwebz. The internal ip address is what you router uses to communicate to your home network and can be set by the user. You want to assign a static ip address (on your local network) for your apex so it stays in the same location. If you have a lot of things coming into and off your network (phones, laptops, notepads) your ip's are constantly changing unless you assign static ip addresses to all of your network components. Assigning static ips is easy and worth the few minutes it takes. You only want to assign a static ip address to things that only stay on your network, not something that is on several networks like a work laptop.

Back