Apex, is there a better power outage detection idea?

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on a UPS that will last for about 90 minutes. I could improve that by turning off the lights, heater, etc. if I could detect the power outage.

The challenge is, both my router and fish tank are on battery backups. Is there a better way to detect a power outage than checking to see if the internet went down for the Apex?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on a UPS that will last for about 90 minutes. I could improve that by turning off the lights, heater, etc. if I could detect the power outage.

The challenge is, both my router and fish tank are on battery backups. Is there a better way to detect a power outage than checking to see if the internet went down for the Apex?
My Hydros detects power outages. The buss power is usually 24 volts but when it is on the battery backup it is 12 volts. So it automatically goes into low power mode. You can set what will remain on in that mode. The only thing I leave running is the flow pumps at a lower flow rate of 6%. Everything else is turned off. I also have a UPS on my router and cable modem so most of the time I still have internet during a power outage.

Staplesofficewar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It’s been a while, so bear with me. I had the original apex with EB8. So the EB8 powered the base unit. I had everything on battery backup but also had a wall wart plugged into the apex base unit that was not on battery backup. There is / was code that monitored the status of that power input and I could act on it - ramp lights, lower heater sp, etc.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while, so bear with me. I had the original apex with EB8. So the EB8 powered the base unit. I had everything on battery backup but also had a wall wart plugged into the apex base unit that was not on battery backup. There is / was code that monitored the status of that power input and I could act on it - ramp lights, lower heater sp, etc.
Ahhh, in the top left. I'll have to look into that.

1681604165072.png

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the command "If Power" I believe there is also a monitoring setting associated with that. I don't use battery backup, but I believe the tools are there to detect if running on battery and be able to turn off stuff.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vanguard

Apex Power Monitoring: A Quick Overview
  1. Plug a 12v power supply into the Apex Head unit, and into a non-backed up source ("wall power").
  2. Plug the EB832 into your UPS battery backup.
  3. Ensure "Power Monitor" is enabled in Apex Settings.
  4. Add "If Power Apex OFF 000 then OFF" to any outlet you want instantly turned OFF during an outage.
    • "000" is a delay time in minutes. Some devices you may want to keep on for a minute or two to ensure it is not just a power flicker.
    • Alternative settings can be triggered for specific devices that use profiles or % output.
    • I recommend this be your last line of code, to ensure no other delays or configuration disrupts it.

It is very simple.

OP
OP
vanguard

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vanguard

Apex Power Monitoring: A Quick Overview
  1. Plug a 12v power supply into the Apex Head unit, and into a non-backed up source ("wall power").
  2. Plug the EB832 into your UPS battery backup.
  3. Ensure "Power Monitor" is enabled in Apex Settings.
  4. Add "If Power Apex OFF 000 then OFF" to any outlet you want instantly turned OFF during an outage.
    • "000" is a delay time in minutes. Some devices you may want to keep on for a minute or two to ensure it is not just a power flicker.
    • Alternative settings can be triggered for specific devices that use profiles or % output.
    • I recommend this be your last line of code, to ensure no other delays or configuration disrupts it.

It is very simple.
Thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back