Apex issues.

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m starting to think the Apex just isnt robust. I had my apex working for a year and decided to make a controller board. So I had to disconnect and reconnect everything. What a disaster! Took me hours just to get my two tanks back online. And now one EB8 and my WXM module aren’t working. So that means no flow or lights for both my tanks. Tried resetting and removing modules but doesn’t work. Removed the WXM module but doesn’t show back up. Just blinks yellow. If I connect the third EB8 it basically shuts down the system. Really disappointed due to the cost of the system. Any recommendations for a better controller? Might have to consider it if I can’t get it working again.

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This same exact thing happens to me when I set it up in my adaptive reef board, i found out that the plugs are horribly soldered on and needed to be resoldered, after that I smashed all my Neptune stuff with a framing hammer and bought GHL stuff , Neptune plastic feels cheap and toy like, and if you open up the apex unit you will see how poorly all the components are attached, I’m willing to bet that’s your problem

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that sucks and not what I wanted to hear. But I can see what you’re saying.

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the Wxm module is discontinued so I’m not sure how you connect echo tech radions and vortches to the apex.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is far from common. While it’s all just personal experience, I’ve got 7 year old Neptune gear going strong with zero issues and been moved all over the place. Different tank, different houses, now my buddy has it and still no issues.

GHL makes great hardware with terrible software.

GHL hardware and Neptune software would be the killer combo

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after many hours of trying it looks like my WXM is dead. I have a MP40 quiet drive and 2 Radion G4s. Having some trouble trying to reset and set those up again without the WXM.

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an apex classic? I have one that used to be ok being powered over usb from the eb8 but that went sideways one day and I moved on.

After reading some threads I discovered that the main unit should be powered by a 12v adapter so if you have an apex classic and don’t have it powered by a 12v plug then maybe try that. I’d also recommend plugging the WXM aquabus cable directly into the eb8 and not the main head in case this is a power issue.

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not a classic. It’s the current apex. No 12V adapter just plugged into the eb8 with usb. Was working fine until I decided to try to move it all.

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I got it all back. WXM is still busted but I reset the lights and pump and am now using Mobius. For those that have radions do you keep them powered all the time or turn them off after the lights go out?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I think I got it all back. WXM is still busted but I reset the lights and pump and am now using Mobius. For those that have radions do you keep them powered all the time or turn them off after the lights go out?

Keep them powered at all times. Let the lights handle the schedule.

Neptune has the new MXM releasing soon. It replaces the WXM and should control everything Ecotech

OP
OP
E

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep them powered at all times. Let the lights handle the schedule.

Neptune has the new MXM releasing soon. It replaces the WXM and should control everything Ecotech
Doesn’t the fan run all the time then? That’s why I switched them off on the apex after the lights went out.

I think after this issue and previous issues with the PMUPs, EB8, WAV I’m going to divest a bit from APEX. I do really like the control and automation but I’m a bit disappointed with the hardware reliability.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doesn’t the fan run all the time then? That’s why I switched them off on the apex after the lights went out.

I think after this issue and previous issues with the PMUPs, EB8, WAV I’m going to divest a bit from APEX. I do really like the control and automation but I’m a bit disappointed with the hardware reliability.

I don’t think the fan does on the newer lights? You can also change fan settings in Mobius. It might be in there

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is far from common. While it’s all just personal experience, I’ve got 7 year old Neptune gear going strong with zero issues and been moved all over the place. Different tank, different houses, now my buddy has it and still no issues.

GHL makes great hardware with terrible software.

GHL hardware and Neptune software would be the killer combo
I agree Ghl software sucks so bad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back