Apex jr question

Hijinks_78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve run reef tanks for many years, but have never had a controller. I’ve been considering getting one but am honestly a little bit intimidated. I have an apex jr that I got with a tank I bought for a friend awhile back (bonus for coworker and I kept a few things to offset the cost). I had planned on selling the apex jr but never got around to it. Now I’m wondering if it is worth setting it up with the ph and salinity probes that I have. It seems like a lot of effort and I’m wondering if I’m better off waiting until I buy the regular apex or if this will be a reasonable way to dip my toe in the water and get familiar with controllers. So my long winded question is if the apex jr is worth setting up or will I be better off waiting to get the full system. Thanks

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the pH probe been properly stored to remain wet? If it has dried out then it likely won’t work. Other than that, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with using an Apex Jr and many people are still using them successfully. Just keep in mind its limitations, so if you intend to expand with additional modules in the future you’ll need to upgrade.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto what sincerest reef said. Also, I've found that I don't use my pH probe much at all. Basically it serves as an alarm if something gets off with my Alk dosing. If you think about it, you don't have a pH probe now and things are presumably going just fine so you're not really 'missing' anything if you use the Apex without it.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Setup the JR. see if you like it and upgrade from there.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back