Apex Lite and ATO

xcorallusx

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an apex light and was wondering if I could throw a maxijet into my topoffwater trashcan and set itup to come on a few times a day to top off. I bought a 350 gallon tank that came with a small sump(40gallon). The way I have my overflows setup, the level changes in the sump, so I dont know if a level sensor in the sump would work. I was thinking every hour or two have the maxijet cut on for 10-30 seconds. Are there any other pumps that would be better? I feel like a dosing pump would be too slow. I also have a 90 gallon refugium plumbed into the system.

Thanks,
Tim

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are asking if you can use a maxi jet for top off then YES I have used one for years.

But I would not set it to just come on a few times a day. I would buy an actual float switch from DA or buy an auto top off unit.

OP
OP
X

xcorallusx

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had too much flow going through my sump and I dont have the space to upgrade sumps, so I rigged the overflow pipes to fill up to help with microbubbles. This makes the water level in the sump change so a float switch wont work. I have been adding lime water slowly with a pitcher several times a day. I was thinking I could measure the amount I normally put in on a daily basis and try and mimick that with the mj but spread out slowly, keeping things stable. Ive got a brute trash can that I add kalk and vinegar and stirr it up. I can put two pumps in there, one to stir up the water, and one to put it back in the tank. Would an aqualifter be sufficient for a system just under 500 gallons? I have a spare maxijet 1200 I could use and dial it back with a valve. If for some reason the water isnt evaporating as much as it normally does, for instance a humid day, I could put a valve in my sump near the top that will cut off the maxijet. This would be a few inches above the highest fluctuation point. Sorry if this is confusing. I am moving in a year and will setup this tank again with a larger sump with baffles and proper overflows.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 41 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back