Apex Modules change address after power interuptions

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, in all these years I had no idea this was possible.
Caveat is to remember to program the power fail alarm code to shut down all the power hogs in outlet programming so they don’t immediately drain a small ups. Doesn’t do much good if the lights, heater, chiller, uv, etc are all still running on a 750w computer ups. If a blue yeti wasn’t so expensive I’d have one for sure. If I could see what I was doing and keep the tremors down a diy project would be in the works

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of counter intuitive though to detect power present on the power jack. I think of the power jack as a back up power input in case I don't want to use the EB8 and want to just run the head unit with probes. And if that's the case, there is no point in detecting the power on it as the head unit would be off anyway.

Detecting it at the power jack suggests that the purpose of the power jack is explicitly to know if the power at the wall is present. Oh well...

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is I got a power surge that either bypassed the house surge protector, or one that hit after the main one was tripped, that crashed the apex brain.

Somehow my restart procedures caused the readdressing issues, or it could have happened during the surge itself.

The fact it happened twice is why Im putting the cherry on top of my power backup systems.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had another power outage and now I have new problem. My apex head unit appears to have gone nuts.

The ethernet adapter no longer works, my 0-10v outputs no longer work and all of my modules and EB8s are showing up missing. They come in and out when I reboot but never stay long.

They show disconnected but some of the outlets can still be controlled.

I have no idea whats happening here and I leave for a week in a few days.

This new apex has me pulling my hair out

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now the only thing working is the wifi and sensors on the head unit.

It has zero connection or control of anything, and I am getting a replacement from Neptune.

Im really hoping I just got a defective unit since it was one of the first A3's available, and Im praying whatever issues it had didnt take out any other modules.

AcroAcres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was the case, the head unit wouldn't boot at all.

One of the two things happened here: (a) all modules somehow lost the memory of the head unit serial number and forced a new module connect event or (b) the head unit failed to negotiate a reconnect with each module and did a new module connect routine instead.

"a" is highly unlikely to happen to all modules at once. What remains is "b". Again, the logic for module connect/reconnect is very very broken in the head unit code and it becomes more and more apparent the more modules you have connected. If you put the head unit on a UPS, at least it prevents a whole system reconnect every time your lights flicker.
My apex does the exact same thing. If my power cuts out for 5 seconds or 5 hours when I finally get the apex to reboot and connect I ll have 11 missing modules and 11 new modules. The only fix I know is to do as the OP said, figure out which module is which now, then reprogram everything. It very very frustrating.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back