Apex PH probe defect?

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story, but I ended up with a brand new apex and trident, they have honestly been great for the few hours I have had them, however the oh prove is showing wildly incorrect readings. I of course went through the calibration process, but it wasn’t giving me the green check in the “within acceptable range” section. I then tried to calibrate it manually which also clearly failed. I now have a probe that is giving me a reading of 3.8, which is definitely not true.

I also noticed that when I unplugged the ph probe to see if letting it be for a bit would fix the problem, the readings started slowly going up despite there being no probe installed. They then dropped back down when I re-connected the probe. This may be normal though, not sure.

I assume the PH probe is faulty because of this, so should I simply contact apex and have them send me a new one, or is there something I should try first?

edit: one more question for anyone that can help. I am getting alarms saying my salt is below 32.0, but then in the spot it tells me what my salt is the salt is at the normal 35ppt. Is there an easy fix for this?

Mrtakeoff53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bad pH probe from Neptune once. Didn’t work out of the box. Gave me crazy bad readings like you. I sent it in and they replaced it. It sucked because they charged me shipping there and back for a brand new probe that had never been used. I wasn’t too happy. Been working well since.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bad pH probe from Neptune once. Didn’t work out of the box. Gave me crazy bad readings like you. I sent it in and they replaced it. It sucked because they charged me shipping there and back for a brand new probe that had never been used. I wasn’t too happy. Been working well since.
Sounds like I will contact them. Better be no bull after what that thing cost, but I am willing to work with them to make it right.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back