Apex pro or apex NO???? Must read if considering getting an apex 15% off holiday sales

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh out of the box a3 pro w salinity probe… fails to connect to Wi-Fi after it suddenly disconnects and then no longer detects ANY networks… had to hardwire, head unit fails to recognize there are no probes attached, gives ghost readings, updated 2x for salinity probe firmware after firmware update for head unit then!!!! recognizes there are no probes attached… calibrated salinity probe ~10 times (yes 53000 ms neptune solution) reading at 17.5ish ppt Hanna pen reading 34ppt. Busted apex busted salinity probe $1k+ for paperweights contact customer support with no help, have to make an appointment DEC 6!!! Yea f right I’m waiting that long! I payed over a grand for this bs! Wait 2 weeks for support **** NEPTUNES customer service is subbbbbpaaaaarrr, to say the least. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THESE TYPE OF PROBLEMS?? Mine a dud??? Expensive paperweight??? Ooohhhh, BEST PART CHERRY ON TOP IS THE APP ONLY LETS ME ACCESS THE DASHBOARD FOR ABOUT 1 min before it locks me out saying I gotta confirm my account! I did!!! Like 20x!!!! point of sale IMO

655291B3-B788-4058-8036-FA21C392A564.png 0CDB1C35-0157-4D58-810F-D798F59E481E.png 0AFA0CC0-BED0-4A47-ACCE-79DF711FEA6B.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the previous generation Apex, and other than a firmware update that screwed up use of my Neptune PAR probe - it's generally working as advertised (YMMV).

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the previous generation Apex, and other than a firmware update that screwed up use of my Neptune PAR probe - it's generally working as advertised (YMMV).
Not impressed by neptune at all, from their product to their lacking customer support. They want me to wait 2 weeks to offer me a solution on a brand new fresh out of the box a3 pro. Just saying bad experience first time around. Was under the impression it WAS the best I’m finding out it’s not even close to being a reliable product from a reputable source. Can’t even say it’s better than the others because I can’t even use it!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not impressed by neptune at all, from their product to their lacking customer support. They want me to wait 2 weeks to offer me a solution on a brand new fresh out of the box a3 pro. Just saying bad experience first time around. Was under the impression it WAS the best I’m finding out it’s not even close to being a reliable product from a reputable source. Can’t even say it’s better than the others because I can’t even use it!
It's about as reliable as the one operating it and periodically keeping an eye on it. QA has been an issue prevalent with a lot of manufacturers lately (so Neptune isn't alone in this respect). Sometimes probes don't calibrate properly; you can disable the probe, unplug it, reboot the Apex, reconnect the probe, re-enable and then attempt to re-calibrate (this has worked for me once or twice).

I run a full Neptune setup to test and monitor everything in the tank, and without exaggerating can state that it's typically within stated error parameters (and more often than not, more accurate than the stated margin of error). This is both for probes and Trident testing.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the previous generation and have never had a problem with it, but I have heard some horror stories. I have had issues with their customer support, if you call they don’t answer and emails also go unanswered. The only way I’ve got them to contact me was if I opened a ticket which I’m sure you already have. With opening a ticket they’ve always responded to me the next business day.
If you just bought it maybe the vendor would be able to help you out, it’s at least worth a try.

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about as reliable as the one operating it and periodically keeping an eye on it. QA has been an issue prevalent with a lot of manufacturers lately (so Neptune isn't alone in this respect). Sometimes probes don't calibrate properly; you can disable the probe, unplug it, reboot the Apex, reconnect the probe, re-enable and then attempt to re-calibrate (this has worked for me once or twice).

I run a full Neptune setup to test and monitor everything in the tank, and without exaggerating can state that it's typically within stated error parameters (and more often than not, more accurate than the stated margin of error). This is both for probes and Trident testing.
I get it, troubleshooting right? Tried everything even the good ol blow into the ports and plugs to make sure they weren’t dirty. Updated firmware 2x I mean ITS BRAND NEW! Never been used calibrate once set and forget right? Not turn on troubleshoot and make sure it works! The Wi-Fi doesn’t even work! Yes 2ghz dual band router. Connected once, disconnected and now fails to detect networks. What a point of sale

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the previous generation and have never had a problem with it, but I have heard some horror stories. I have had issues with their customer support, if you call they don’t answer and emails also go unanswered. The only way I’ve got them to contact me was if I opened a ticket which I’m sure you already have. With opening a ticket they’ve always responded to me the next business day.
If you just bought it maybe the vendor would be able to help you out, it’s at least worth a try.
Already reached out to SW aquarium waiting on response. I don’t even want anything free just my money back or an exchange lol. It’s literally 1 day old! I can always take it to social media tends to sway companies to respond or take action. Emailed Morgan back from neptune and no response, waiting 2 weeks isn’t going to happen when this thing is fresh out of the box. I’m not above putting them on blast on brs’ and SWA’s fb and other fb pages. I’m livid!!! Lol I need answers tooooday!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I have been using Neptune for over 7 years without a single failure to date. I can't say that about GHL or Hydros when I used both of them. My GHL never connected to Wifi after 4 months of fighting it. I had about 7 products from the Hydros lineup fail on me in less than a year.

You may have gotten the lemon in the batch. It happens. Neptune will get you taken care of. Their Facebook group is super helpful as well. You won't find a better user based community to help.

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I have been using Neptune for over 7 years without a single failure to date. I can't say that about GHL or Hydros when I used both of them. My GHL never connected to Wifi after 4 months of fighting it. I had about 7 products from the Hydros lineup fail on me in less than a year.

You may have gotten the lemon in the batch. It happens. Neptune will get you taken care of. Their Facebook group is super helpful as well. You won't find a better user based community to help.
I’m with you, definitely believe Apex is top of the line why I bought onebut the lack of support is pretty crazy. Luis from neptune after reaching out to them on fb took his lunch break to call me and troubleshoot. Fixed my account w his admin account now I have access and also found out my brand new salinity probe is bad. They’re sending out a new one. The power of the social media reach. Grateful to Luis for redeeming neptune imo very nice guy as well. If you’re reading this, Luis, tysm! Made my day and lowered my blood pressure lol!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m with you, definitely believe Apex is top of the line why I bought onebut the lack of support is pretty crazy. Luis from neptune after reaching out to them on fb took his lunch break to call me and troubleshoot. Fixed my account w his admin account now I have access and also found out my brand new salinity probe is bad. They’re sending out a new one. The power of the social media reach. Grateful to Luis for redeeming neptune imo very nice guy as well. If you’re reading this, Luis, tysm! Made my day and lowered my blood pressure lol!

It is very common for Neptune employees to help after hours and on weekends when they are technically off work

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very common for Neptune employees to help after hours and on weekends when they are technically off work
Grateful FS! now I can monitor my hiccups lol no busting out the Hanna ph to monitor ph throughout the day

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, troubleshooting right? Tried everything even the good ol blow into the ports and plugs to make sure they weren’t dirty. Updated firmware 2x I mean ITS BRAND NEW! Never been used calibrate once set and forget right? Not turn on troubleshoot and make sure it works! The Wi-Fi doesn’t even work! Yes 2ghz dual band router. Connected once, disconnected and now fails to detect networks. What a point of sale
Tips for calibrating the salinity probe: float the packet in the tank (or sump) for 10-15min prior, dry it off thoroughly and when you place it in the pouch - tilt the pouch at a 45° angle and point the probe into the corner. This sometimes yields better (and more consistent) results.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's awesome of those employees, but doesn't say much for Neptune if they got an amazing free user group helping, employees helping on their own time, and yet the ticket system still is two weeks out for scheduled help.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already reached out to SW aquarium waiting on response. I don’t even want anything free just my money back or an exchange lol. It’s literally 1 day old! I can always take it to social media tends to sway companies to respond or take action. Emailed Morgan back from neptune and no response, waiting 2 weeks isn’t going to happen when this thing is fresh out of the box. I’m not above putting them on blast on brs’ and SWA’s fb and other fb pages. I’m livid!!! Lol I need answers tooooday!
I will guarantee you this is user error

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will guarantee you this is user error

It's funny to me how defensive of companies people get. FYI he has already replied that someone from Neptune helped him confirm it's a bad probe and they are sending a new one so at least part of the issue is not user error.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny to me how defensive of companies people get. FYI he has already replied that someone from Neptune helped him confirm it's a bad probe and they are sending a new one so at least part of the issue is not user error.
Yeah that part but the rest of it was user error and who knows maybe Neptunes just sending him a new probe to shut him up and he will still have salinity probe issues even with a new one….

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read his title it’s kind of uncalled for and then to think about it they corrected it the same day but yet his title for his thread will stay there

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then with that being said the whole world knows the salinity probe is garbage for Apex barely works and that’s what he’s going to base his decision off of the one and only thing that is not phenomenal from Neptune

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP probably has had his tank set up for over a year without an Apex all of a sudden gets an Apex and then demands it’s fixed the same day when he’s never even had one before. Smh ok I’m done

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back