Apex Salinity Probe Calibration Steps for Accuracy

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing people claim the salinity probe is trash and/or it cant be calibrated. I keep giving the same steps on FB for people to follow and figured I would post them on here as well.

For the salinity probe calibration do these steps for the best accuracy/stability.
1. Ensure the cable and probe are not within a few inches of power cables or equipment.
2. Soak the probe in the tank water for a week prior to calibration.
3. During this week, get you salinity to 35ppt according to a calibrated refractometer.
4. After a week, calibrate the probe using the tank water
5. When selecting the calibration fluid, select the 53,000µ option.
6. When told to put it in the solution, put it in your tank/sump where you will be leaving it. Ensuring that there are no bubbles trapped by tapping and shaking the probe underwater and if possible place it upside down under water.
7. For your placement, ensure it is not in an area subject to microbubbles. Recommended putting the probe in a high flow area preferably in the return section.
8. Set you salinity probe TC to 2.2

I last calibrated my probe back in Oct 2019. The calibration is still good and reads accurately.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing people claim the salinity probe is trash and/or it cant be calibrated. I keep giving the same steps on FB for people to follow and figured I would post them on here as well.

For the salinity probe calibration do these steps for the best accuracy/stability.
1. Ensure the cable and probe are not within a few inches of power cables or equipment.
2. Soak the probe in the tank water for a week prior to calibration.
3. During this week, get you salinity to 35ppt according to a calibrated refractometer.
4. After a week, calibrate the probe using the tank water
5. When selecting the calibration fluid, select the 53,000µ option.
6. When told to put it in the solution, put it in your tank/sump where you will be leaving it. Ensuring that there are no bubbles trapped by tapping and shaking the probe underwater and if possible place it upside down under water.
7. For your placement, ensure it is not in an area subject to microbubbles. Recommended putting the probe in a high flow area preferably in the return section.
8. Set you salinity probe TC to 2.2

I last calibrated my probe back in Oct 2019. The calibration is still good and reads accurately.
I installed mine in Sept. Of 2020 and it's been running great since without issue, getting it in an area that has low bubbles and decent flow probably helps. I've been very happy with it.

majeric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Doesn’t seem like the TC option exists on the classic.
There is a conductivity compensation input box.
Is that the same thing?

Megability

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just setting my Apex up now and it is off (based on a calibrated refractometer) but brand new, even though I calibrated it as recommended with the fluid.

I figured it was just because it’s new, I’ll wait a week then calibrate again, but you say to not use any calibration fluid at all, huh?

DXH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
我一直看到人们声称盐度探头是垃圾和/或无法校准。我一直在 FB 上为人们提供相同的步骤,并认为我也会在这里发布它们。

对于盐度探头校准,执行这些步骤以获得最佳精度/稳定性。
1. 确保电缆和探头不在电源线或设备的几英寸内。
2. 校准前将探头在水箱水中浸泡一周。
3. 本周,根据校准过的折射计将盐度调至 35ppt。
4. 一周后,使用水箱水校准探头
5. 选择校准液时,选择 53,000µ 选项。
6. 当被告知将其放入溶液中时,将其放入您将要离开的水箱/水槽中。通过在水下敲击和摇动探头确保没有气泡,如果可能,将其倒置在水下。
7. 对于您的放置,请确保它不在受微气泡影响的区域。建议将探头放在高流量区域,最好是在返回部分。
8. 将盐度探头 TC 设置为 2.2

我上次校准我的探头是在 2019 年 10 月。校准仍然很好并且读数准确。

OP
OP
J

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just setting my Apex up now and it is off (based on a calibrated refractometer) but brand new, even though I calibrated it as recommended with the fluid.

I figured it was just because it’s new, I’ll wait a week then calibrate again, but you say to not use any calibration fluid at all, huh?
do not recommend using the cal fluid at all. when done in the tank, the system takes into account all the variables that are in the tank. the fluid packet doesnt have any variables. plus using tank water means you never have to buy the cal fluid for a calibration

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Doesn’t seem like the TC option exists on the classic.
There is a conductivity compensation input box.
Is that the same thing?
i do not have the classic and do not know how it is set up. it sounds like conductivity compensation is the same. what are the settings you can give it?

Back