Apex salinity probe shows steady drop, then back to normal

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my Apex a little over 2 weeks ago. The salinity probe took some doing to calibrate in the beginning, but it has been pretty close to my Tropic Marin hydrometer since getting it calibrated (1.0257 TM, 1.0252 Apex).

Tonight we were at a dinner out of state when my phone threw a notification that the salinity was low. Over 2.5 hours, the salinity steadily dropped. I called a neighbor and she went to check things out - I thought maybe my ATO had stuck on. She took a look and found no problems. She unplugged the ATO just in case but touched nothing else.

As soon as she left, the salinity reading jumped back to normal (a little higher, but basically normal).

What could cause this? After watching Terence’s interview about his house fire, this whole thing took years off my life and I’d like to prevent it from happening again…?

D3512BB4-3666-43DD-8C1C-C1DA928312B8.png

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Air bubbles will do that. If you changed socks or had an overflowing so k near by you can get those until it finds its way out

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air bubbles, electrical interference, 3/4 moon... All those things and more will cause misreadings. The salinity probe is a small step above utter garbage, outside of a cursory glance, I wouldn't trust it as a single point of reference.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A power flicker/brief outage has a similar effect on my Apex units.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air bubbles, electrical interference, 3/4 moon... All those things and more will cause misreadings. The salinity probe is a small step above utter garbage, outside of a cursory glance, I wouldn't trust it as a single point of reference.
I would say its maybe a full step above utter garbage, verging on almost useful. :) But I agree, you will want to check it against a standard you trust regularly.

I got mine tuned in pretty well a couple of weeks ago, its been good since then, but time will tell. I don't have any alarms set on it at this point, if it works well longer term I might.

As he OP has learned, it may not be a good way to judge what the ATO is doing. If you want some monitoring of the ATO there are options with the Apex.

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the probe under some rock in a section of the sump that has no turbulence - I’m not sure how it could be getting bubbles, though I bet that is the issue! Should I wrap it in foam?? It worked perfectly for a few days but has been finicky today - dropped briefly then shot higher than accurate most of the rest of the day. It’s a shame to ignore it entirely. I moved it away from the other probe wires, etc. it’s as far from the return pump and skimmer as it can be, but I’m not sure how close is too close for this to be electrical interference?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back