Apex shut down then restarted itself several times in a row.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be nice if Neptune would push this through fusion as an alert afterwards. Same thing happened to me last night, matter of fact I stayed up later then normal to also try to recreate the event.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same thing happened to both of mine so this makes me feel better. I heard my Tunze high water alarm going off but by the time I got downstairs it had turned off and everything was back running but my display wasn’t on my default page. Didn’t know what happened til now. Thanks.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what let me know my tank had rebooted, I heard my Tunze ATO alarm as it does when it is booted up.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their explanation seems off with me. AWS is a container or virtual machine. How goes their server have a hardware issue if it is software? Also if AWS did have a system failure, the instance would have spun up on another node. Also, good luck getting Amazon to admit they had a problem.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone asked how many times the Apex will reboot if it looses internet connection, 3 times until it stops.

My internet sucks sometimes, and my apex will reboot 3 times in 10 minutes to try and resolve the issue. If it cannot reconnect to fusion, it will only try once every hour after that.

I often wondered why they programmed the ape like that, seems rather stupid to me. Just have the thing keep trying to reconnect to fusion instead of rebooting the entire unit(for some of us that could be a huge issue if its constantly, like me with the tunze ATO that dumps like a cup of water every time it powers back on to prime the pump).

If anything just have the head unit reboot, not the entire system. I believe the EB8's and other modules can remain powered on if the head unit looses power?

Might be something to ping @Terence about to see if it can be changed?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only imagine how hard reboots are on equipment. I had to reset a couple of vortechs because they literally did not automatically restart. In Fusion they came up "missing".

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone asked how many times the Apex will reboot if it looses internet connection, 3 times until it stops.

My internet sucks sometimes, and my apex will reboot 3 times in 10 minutes to try and resolve the issue. If it cannot reconnect to fusion, it will only try once every hour after that.

I often wondered why they programmed the ape like that, seems rather stupid to me. Just have the thing keep trying to reconnect to fusion instead of rebooting the entire unit(for some of us that could be a huge issue if its constantly, like me with the tunze ATO that dumps like a cup of water every time it powers back on to prime the pump).

If anything just have the head unit reboot, not the entire system. I believe the EB8's and other modules can remain powered on if the head unit looses power?

Might be something to ping @Terence about to see if it can be changed?

I have a livecam on my growout tanks... everything is still operational when the head unit goes out, but yes... when the eb8 goes out everything goes with it

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can only imagine how hard reboots are on equipment. I had to reset a couple of vortechs because they literally did not automatically restart. In Fusion they came up "missing".

I wonder what exactly causes that. I have 2 tanks, each with their own WXM. One tank (knock on wood) the vortechs always reconnect fine. The other tank it seems one pump always fails to reconnect and goes missing. This time both failed to reconnect.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine was slightly different, the error condition for my return pump got triggered at exactly 3am.
86855f04cf89feb50fb99093f7e0fab1.jpg

The return pump error condition occurs if return pump has been off for more than 2 hours. Clearly from the chart the pump was still running until 3am when pH dropped because my code will turn off skimmer and heater if return is off. I woke up at 6 and tank temp was 72.

It’s clear to me something from Neptune server side was messing around with controllers. I don't trust it. If this had happened when I was out of town, it would have been a disaster.

I take it this happened only for controllers connected to apex fusion.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily the float switch on my Tunze ATO works, after a couple reboots it finally stopped priming the pump. Otherwise had the reboots gone on and on I would have ended up with a bad situation!

I still think it would be nice of them to communicate this via email, popup alert or add an inbox function into fusion. Had I not run across this thread I would have shrugged it off.

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys have been lucky. I have been experiencing this auto reset for a few months now on and off. Always same time at midnight. I can't figure it out.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to you all, when there's a Neptune AWS server crash and the Apex unit keeps on rebooting until it reconnects again, doesn't this affect all the functionality of the unit and rendering the unit useless?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to you all, when there's a Neptune AWS server crash and the Apex unit keeps on rebooting until it reconnects again, doesn't this affect all the functionality of the unit and rendering the unit useless?

If it cannot connect to fusion you can't make any changes to your controller. Otherwise to my understanding it should FALLBACK either ON or OFF depending on how you have that particular output configured.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, rebooting to get past an issue is just bad code, really bad code. no matter how you look at it.
for firmware upgrades, sure (like MacOS and IOS, the only time I've ever seen it reboot is after firmware upgrade). But not to reconnect to apex fusion server.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my apex classic has started to reboot itself. Since 4PM CST it has done so many times. I have unplugged the internet cord after reading this thread .
Is any one else having the same issue

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today my apex classic has started to reboot itself. Since 4PM CST it has done so many times. I have unplugged the internet cord after reading this thread .
Is any one else having the same issue

Not me... knock on wood

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't has any issues since last week. Last weeks issue was with Apex servers - hopefully not again.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same problem Sunday night around 9:45
Both of my apex shut down and restarted 4 or 5 times , thought I was having a short some where like a pump or heater ,I started cutting things off , then it stoped and has been fine sense.
But I’m glad I seen this thread now I know it must if not been in tank
And I’m in Tennessee

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got this sussed out.
My internet is over 4G. Yesterday my speeds went from normal 16 down and 4 up to 1.7 down and .06 up with a latency of 400 to 700ms
The apex was not able to send info to the Fusion server with those speeds. I assume it is coded to reboot and try again.

ATT has restored my faster internet over 4G. I assume it was a tower issue or something that affected the signal.
I plugged in the Apex and it has not gone into reboot mode.
I did got get a new Apex just in case. (spare)
The fish will have to starve for a few weeks and go without fresh water to pay for the bloody thing,.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if Neptune is correct and the newer generation Apex is unaffected. Having the unit reboot just because of lost internet connection seems pretty dodgy to me, and potentially hugely problematic.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back