apex to ghl cables 0 - 10v control

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading alot about the 0-10v control cables most pumps/powerheads have available and the is obviously alot more apex ready solutions available. I REALLY ant to go GHL but im hitting speedbump after speedump, but I build/fix things all day so I'd really like to figure this out and make a easier/cheaper way to hook up 0-10v devices to the profilux without having to get the breakout box or many breakout boxes. its a rj-45 connector, simple enough... the order of wires is the only thing keeping me or anyone from making a simple patch cable to arrange the wires in the right order to connect to the profilux. here is what I know so far (compiled from other threads):

The Profilux L socket wiring is as follows. I needed this when I attached TMC Aquabeams since although TMC say they have cables to attach to the Profilux, they have not got around to making them yet.

But be warned, you are on your own if you make your own cables rather that using that box thingy (which wasn't available to me here in NZ either).

LEFT when viewed from back (tab down)
Pin - Control
1 - 12V constant (warning: low current draw only)
2 - Ch1 1 to 10V
3 - GND
4 - Ch1 12V on/off (warning: low current draw only)
5 - Ch2 1 to 10V
6 - Ch2 12V on/off (warning: low current draw only)
RIGHT when viewed from back

Neptune Apex pinout
f you're looking at the FEMALE receptacle ON THE CONTROLLER, the pins are numbered 1 - 8 from left to right. Pin 1 is 0-10vdc, 2 is ground for VS1 and Pin 5 is 0-10vdc, 6 is ground for VS2. Same goes for VS3 and VS4.
The female RJ45 receptacle on the Apex controller when you look at it, has the tab UP. When oriented this way, Neptune's pinout of 3/4 and 7/8 is correct if you count from left to right, 1 - 8. However, this is not the industry accepted numbering of an RJ45 plug or receptacle. This has created a lot of confusion in the past.
Industry norm always has the plug or receptacle with the tab DOWN. That's the orientation you'll see in the User Guide and on any pictures of RJ45 pinouts. When you look at it that way, then the pinout is 1/2 and 5/6. The pin count for the receptacle goes 1 - 8, left to right, tab down. For the male RJ45
plug, it's 8 - 1, left to right, tab down.

info from neptune tab up: Tab down(standard)
Pin 1 - Reserved. 8
Pin 2 - Reserved. 7
Pin 3 - Gnd (red) 6
Pin 4 - 0-10 Variable output A (black) 5
Pin 5 - Reserved. 4
Pin 6 - Reserved. 3
Pin 7 - Gnd (red) 2
Pin 8 - 0-10 Variable output B (black) 1 From what Ive read the Info from neptune diagram is spot on. the paragragh above hase some discrepencies and while a standard rj-45 has 8 pins only 6 are listed on the GHL wiring, so are the first 2 pins empty? the last 2? I would much rather make patch cables the have to cram extra brake out boxes in my 170L cabinet, thats half the reason I want to go with GHL for there modular stackable expandable design is space saving vs apex. but it seems that everyone is making there products apex ready and leaving ghl users to try and figure out how to custom wire any devices they choose to add. I'm sure this can benifit a great many reefers so all info greatly appreciated :)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on the same boat. I got a hydros WE @Jeff@CoralVue and it says it has a cable to connect to third party controllers but it only works on the apex. Got told to find out the pin connection for the profilux and splice it.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the GHL it’s an rj12 connector. IMO the breakoutbox is worth it, makes it tidy and easy to change things. One box gives 4 0-10V channels.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just one more piece of equipment while I have the 0-10v connections empty.
@Vinny@GHLUSA push the man to get a hydros cable for the profilux lol

OP
OP
AKAGuyver

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s just one more piece of equipment while I have the 0-10v connections empty.
@Vinny@GHLUSA push the man to get a hydros cable for the profilux lol
i agree its so basic an adapter we shouldnt have to try to find all the pinouts of these pumps and cut the connector of the apex off. i mean the simplest solution if GHL didnt want to make there own wires would be to use a apex to ghl adapter that would be the RJ-45 apex female to rj11 GHL male. I've been hunting down pinouts on differnt pumps looking at diy ways to do this without another box, but would be super simple for R+D at GHL to do. @Vinny@GHLUSA any thoughts on this? everytime i need to connect something i need to contact the pump manufacturer and ghl to get the pinouts right, lot of work for every person to do.

OP
OP
AKAGuyver

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading alot about the 0-10v control cables most pumps/powerheads have available and the is obviously alot more apex ready solutions available. I REALLY ant to go GHL but im hitting speedbump after speedump, but I build/fix things all day so I'd really like to figure this out and make a easier/cheaper way to hook up 0-10v devices to the profilux without having to get the breakout box or many breakout boxes. its a rj-45 connector, simple enough... the order of wires is the only thing keeping me or anyone from making a simple patch cable to arrange the wires in the right order to connect to the profilux. here is what I know so far (compiled from other threads):

The Profilux L socket wiring is as follows. I needed this when I attached TMC Aquabeams since although TMC say they have cables to attach to the Profilux, they have not got around to making them yet.

But be warned, you are on your own if you make your own cables rather that using that box thingy (which wasn't available to me here in NZ either).

LEFT when viewed from back (tab down)
Pin - Control
1 - 12V constant (warning: low current draw only)
2 - Ch1 1 to 10V
3 - GND
4 - Ch1 12V on/off (warning: low current draw only)
5 - Ch2 1 to 10V
6 - Ch2 12V on/off (warning: low current draw only)
RIGHT when viewed from back

Neptune Apex pinout
f you're looking at the FEMALE receptacle ON THE CONTROLLER, the pins are numbered 1 - 8 from left to right. Pin 1 is 0-10vdc, 2 is ground for VS1 and Pin 5 is 0-10vdc, 6 is ground for VS2. Same goes for VS3 and VS4.
The female RJ45 receptacle on the Apex controller when you look at it, has the tab UP. When oriented this way, Neptune's pinout of 3/4 and 7/8 is correct if you count from left to right, 1 - 8. However, this is not the industry accepted numbering of an RJ45 plug or receptacle. This has created a lot of confusion in the past.
Industry norm always has the plug or receptacle with the tab DOWN. That's the orientation you'll see in the User Guide and on any pictures of RJ45 pinouts. When you look at it that way, then the pinout is 1/2 and 5/6. The pin count for the receptacle goes 1 - 8, left to right, tab down. For the male RJ45
plug, it's 8 - 1, left to right, tab down.

info from neptune tab up: Tab down(standard)
Pin 1 - Reserved. 8
Pin 2 - Reserved. 7
Pin 3 - Gnd (red) 6
Pin 4 - 0-10 Variable output A (black) 5
Pin 5 - Reserved. 4
Pin 6 - Reserved. 3
Pin 7 - Gnd (red) 2
Pin 8 - 0-10 Variable output B (black) 1 From what Ive read the Info from neptune diagram is spot on. the paragragh above hase some discrepencies and while a standard rj-45 has 8 pins only 6 are listed on the GHL wiring, so are the first 2 pins empty? the last 2? I would much rather make patch cables the have to cram extra brake out boxes in my 170L cabinet, thats half the reason I want to go with GHL for there modular stackable expandable design is space saving vs apex. but it seems that everyone is making there products apex ready and leaving ghl users to try and figure out how to custom wire any devices they choose to add. I'm sure this can benifit a great many reefers so all info greatly appreciated :)
so GHL is RJ-11 while Apex is rj-45 so thats where the descrepency or 6 to 8 wires comes in. have been getting info on a few other threads and while i think the easiest solution is GHL or anyone making a RJ-45 female to RJ-11 male to adapt all existing apex wires to the GHL without the need for a breakout box, havnt put all into fruition yet ill be sure to post after all is concrete any info suggestions much appreciated

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a surface mount RJ45 box and RJ14 cable (has 4 wires) I connected to an L-Port as follows.

L-Port End - RJ45 End

Pin 2 - Pin 5 (L1 1-10V)
Pin 3 - Pin 2 (L2 Ground)
Pin 4 - NOT Connected, cut wire off and used for the ground jumper
Pin 5 - Pin 1 (L2 1-10V)

In the RJ45 jumper Pin 2 to Pin 6 for the L1 Ground. The L-Port has a common ground for both channels while the Apex connector has individual grounds for each channel.

On the L-Port end the pins are numbered 1 thru 6 left to right, tab down.

I made this connection for a Reef Brite Apex Dual Channel LED interface.

IMG_20200606_115857025.jpg

IMG_20200612_165107236.jpg

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is perfect, thank you. Made no sense to me to have another box cluttering things when it's so simple to wire and crimp a connector. Appreciate confirmation of the appropriate pin out.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back