Apex Trident giving strange reaults

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'll try to keep this short. Looked for other posts, checked the FAQs and troubleshooting to no avail.

1 year and 1 month running Trident and DOS and this is the first major issue I've had.

My value is 8.3-8.6, range ±0.4 and limit 35%

Friday at midnight Alk read 8.23, retest was 8.54.

Sat at 09:20 Alk read 7.93, switched out reagents as it was time, recalibrated (thought maybe it was sucking air instead or water or reagent), tested at 8.58.

Monday at 0020 Alk read 8.14, retest 8.39.
Monday at 1619 All read 8.26, retest has been between 8.16-8.35.

I've adjusted the lines to ensure no kinking. Ca has stayed stable, no changes with these weird readings so assuming it's my Trident. When I've had odd fluctuations in the past, user error, the Ca reflects the inverse change of the Alk, but as I've said, doesn't with these weird readings.

Would sending it for servicing be useful?

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a salifert or something to compare it with for ballpark?

Still got the calibration solution to check that again?
I still have the calibration fluid, but sadly no test kits that aren't expired

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be worth checking the calibration solution again at least. Could also take a sample to your LFS if you have one that doesn't use API.
Was heading there tomorrow anyways, just one more thing to add to the list!! Thanks for the replys!

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Neptune support. After 9 months my calcium started going wonky. It’s currently in their service center getting a checkup and I have a loaner from Neptune in action now on my tank. I suspect it picked up something through the tiny intake line causing issues because the loaner they sent me came with an intake filter attachment so I’m guessing this has been an issue

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised because this just happened to my trident yesterday. All my readings went crazy. I just recalibrated the trident and everything went back to normal.

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact Neptune support. After 9 months my calcium started going wonky. It’s currently in their service center getting a checkup and I have a loaner from Neptune in action now on my tank. I suspect it picked up something through the tiny intake line causing issues because the loaner they sent me came with an intake filter attachment so I’m guessing this has been an issue
Funny that you mention this as I'm literally laying on my back trying to figure out if it's pulling in enough water to test, but I don't know the order of Trident when testing lol

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised because this just happened to my trident yesterday. All my readings went crazy. I just recalibrated the trident and everything went back to normal.
Wish mine would have gone back to normal

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just open the trident menu and click the Prime button one at a time for each reagent and the intake line. Check the test vial on the front too the trident to see if it is filling with each reagent or intake. That should get you started. But like I said contact support they can walk you through it.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'll try to keep this short. Looked for other posts, checked the FAQs and troubleshooting to no avail.

1 year and 1 month running Trident and DOS and this is the first major issue I've had.

My value is 8.3-8.6, range ±0.4 and limit 35%

Friday at midnight Alk read 8.23, retest was 8.54.

Sat at 09:20 Alk read 7.93, switched out reagents as it was time, recalibrated (thought maybe it was sucking air instead or water or reagent), tested at 8.58.

Monday at 0020 Alk read 8.14, retest 8.39.
Monday at 1619 All read 8.26, retest has been between 8.16-8.35.

I've adjusted the lines to ensure no kinking. Ca has stayed stable, no changes with these weird readings so assuming it's my Trident. When I've had odd fluctuations in the past, user error, the Ca reflects the inverse change of the Alk, but as I've said, doesn't with these weird readings.

Would sending it for servicing be useful?

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!
I mean doesn’t it say on the startup thing to preserve the box for ur yearly service?

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean doesn’t it say on the startup thing to preserve the box for ur yearly service?
I have the box, but when I got the unit it said every 24-36 months, but came across a revised 18-24 months so was thinking it shouldn't be time yet, but maybe it is.

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just open the trident menu and click the Prime button one at a time for each reagent and the intake line. Check the test vial on the front too the trident to see if it is filling with each reagent or intake. That should get you started. But like I said contact support they can walk you through it.
I didn't even realize the cuvette was where it was lol. I primed the water sample line and it worked fine. Will check the reagents later, needed a cigar and some scotch first to cool me down

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just ordered and installed the maintenance kit that Neptune recommends after 1-2 years of use....replaces pretty much everything except for the board and solenoids. After swapping the parts, my numbers became much more accurate. Might be something to consider.

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just ordered and installed the maintenance kit that Neptune recommends after 1-2 years of use....replaces pretty much everything except for the board and solenoids. After swapping the parts, my numbers became much more accurate. Might be something to consider.
Thanks for the reply, I'll get on that!

OP
OP
Thawman

Thawman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up, ran the Trident on the calibration fluid and it is reading 8.23 when it should be 8.55. So getting the same numbers as my tank (low), looks likely to be Trident itself in my opinion.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the inline filter?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back