Apex trident help

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help guys, well on a couple things. First i have been using the coralvue and i picked up the big pack apex pro. That tests alk, cal and mag and a dos. This thing is crazy confusing for me.. then all the levels from ph temp and orp are WAY different readings than my coralvue. BUT its a 2 year old tank thats taking a nose dive.. heres a comparison.

Coralvue temp 77.9
Apex temp 80.1
Coralvue orp 293
Apex orp 153
Coralvue ph 8.1
Apex ph 7.8

And then hanna testing alk 8.8
Trident alk 7.8
Redsea mag 1350
Trident 1293
Hanna calcium 453
Trident calcium 493

Am I doing something wrong or is these numbers from apex more accurate in your guys opinion. Keep in mind ive lost 5 acro's in the last month and even a 2 year old slimmer is on its way out.

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trident and hannah Alk are quite different, so I'd be curious to see some of these replies.

EX - Trident is high 6 and hannah is high 7's- (im slowly dosing and bringing it up)

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always found that my Trident ran about .8 above what Hanna said. ICP tests ran closer to the Trident most of the time.

Cdubs205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex temp is saying it’s higher than it is by a little bit to but when we get heat waves it’s worse cause you have to figure you display is much bigger than sump and in your sump you have electric products creating heat I.E skimmer, return pump, fuge light if you run one. I just periodically check with my ice cap that gives salinity,temp, tds. Also not sure if you hook a chiller to yours but you can set what temp it comes on and shuts off to the tenth of a degree but either way you can dial in temp. ORP it’s been a while since mine I know you calibrate the ph and the orp is plug an play. I’d definitely re calibrate ph and see what happens and then give it 24 hours to run and settle in. Also let trident run for a 24hours and test 24 times if still out of wack calibrate trident again. Don’t worry or freak out it’ll be ok.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
When was the last time you Calibrated the coralvue PH or even the Apex?
or temps?

Get an accurate hand held digital thermometer. Test it in icewater to see if it comes up 32. Then measure tank temp. Set controllers to what the handheld reads.
Get ph calibration solution. Calibrate all your probes.

The ORP can be tricky, unless you calibrate yourself its more of just a number you can use to keep track of trends of how clean the water is. If you get into using ozone then it will be helpful.

Even hanna handhelds have a % error. You can get the calibration kits to make sure that you are within that paramater for them.

Yes we attempt to make sure that all of our equiptment is as accurate as possible. But %error is just the nature of the items that we use for measuring. Most of the paramaters for your tanks have a range that you want to keep them in. All tanks are diffrent and running certain numbers for someone may not work for you.

OP
OP
Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apex temp is saying it’s higher than it is by a little bit to but when we get heat waves it’s worse cause you have to figure you display is much bigger than sump and in your sump you have electric products creating heat I.E skimmer, return pump, fuge light if you run one. I just periodically check with my ice cap that gives salinity,temp, tds. Also not sure if you hook a chiller to yours but you can set what temp it comes on and shuts off to the tenth of a degree but either way you can dial in temp. ORP it’s been a while since mine I know you calibrate the ph and the orp is plug an play. I’d definitely re calibrate ph and see what happens and then give it 24 hours to run and settle in. Also let trident run for a 24hours and test 24 times if still out of wack calibrate trident again. Don’t worry or freak out it’ll be ok.
Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ensure that you have TC enabled on your probes (salinity, pH); this will require recalibration. As for the Trident, ditch the calibration fluid and manually calibrate using tank water and your titration (etc.) tests that you perform manually. Then you'll see the variance is significantly less.

Cdubs205

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ensure that you have TC enabled on your probes (salinity, pH); this will require recalibration. As for the Trident, ditch the calibration fluid and manually calibrate using tank water and your titration (etc.) tests that you perform manually. Then you'll see the variance is significantly less.
Or you can buy calibration fluid called multi reference. I agree test Tank water then compare but after you get it dialed in you have to calibrate it every 4-6 months or that’s what I do but with you just starting out every few week till you get your desired results.

OP
OP
Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, this thing is crazy more confusing than I thought it would be. Something as simple as programming the dos to run off the level sensor in my auto top off is practically impossible to figure out.. my rodi water is way higher than my ato storage so i either do a solenoid or run through a doser.. but even then I cant figure out how to make the doser run at any other speed than the one speed. Ive had it for 3 days and im about to pack it up.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't need to be confusing and I think you are causing a lot of it. You need to pick one source of record and get it under control. We don't know if these are new controllers, old controllers, etc. Probes last anywhere from 6 months to a year (hobby grade).

Have you cleaned them?
Have you calibrated them?
What was the last calibration date?
Don't chase numbers.

Etc.

OP
OP
Wayofthereef

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't need to be confusing and I think you are causing a lot of it. You need to pick one source of record and get it under control. We don't know if these are new controllers, old controllers, etc. Probes last anywhere from 6 months to a year (hobby grade).

Have you cleaned them?
Have you calibrated them?
What was the last calibration date?
Don't chase numbers.

Etc.
All the equipment in question, ph probe is 2 years old and calibrated last month. Orp is 6 months old and i check calibration on my hanna testers once a month.. im sure im over thinking this thing pretty hard. Like just trying to get my dos to run my kalk stirrer based on a certain spread of ph.. 8.1 to 8.3 is absolutely driving me nuts. I dont know what i did but the dos is now coming on once an hour and dumping 200ml and turning off.. im like how did I manage to make it do that.. its all in the commands i know it and im just not coordinating things correctly

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back